U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 PM

129 posts, read 106,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
20 Coral Drive W, Brick NJ, 08723 - taxes are $6500 a year, on a canal, but that'ss not including the expensive Flood Insurance premiums that have occurred after Super Storm Sandy. Price of this house is only $325,000 ish. Jersey is way too expensive which is why we are moving to coastal NC soon.
Yes, we would be looking a little bit more inland to avoid the flood insurance premiums. Do you know if all areas are required for such insurance after Sandy?

Are you moving down to NC to retire? I wish you well on your new chapter! We have lots of family and friends in NJ, it would be nice to be around them rather than alone and isolated like we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 AM

562 posts, read 931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Yes, we would be looking a little bit more inland to avoid the flood insurance premiums. Do you know if all areas are required for such insurance after Sandy?

Are you moving down to NC to retire? I wish you well on your new chapter! We have lots of family and friends in NJ, it would be nice to be around them rather than alone and isolated like we are now.
I believe all federal flood insurance rates went up after Sandy - anyone confirm this for me?? - yes, we are retiring in Ocean Ridge Plantation, and have friends already living there (4 couples) - but I am going to miss my adult children and grands....but, only 9 hours away so I plan to drive up every 6 weeks or so...not a bad commute....sure beats the hour and a half sometimes it takes me to go from Mt Laurel to Princeton every day to work!! LOL

Old 08-21-2016, 04:29 PM

54 posts, read 38,825 times
Quote:
I believe all federal flood insurance rates went up after Sandy - anyone confirm this for me?? - yes, we are retiring in Ocean Ridge Plantation, and have friends already living there (4 couples) - but I am going to miss my adult children and grands....but, only 9 hours away so I plan to drive up every 6 weeks or so...not a bad commute....sure beats the hour and a half sometimes it takes me to go from Mt Laurel to Princeton every day to work!! LOL
We are in Old Bridge, NJ property taxes just raised to $7K on our 4 BR home that we hope to sell for $310K. No flood insurance since we are not on the shore, but regular homeowners has steadily gone up is now around $1K/yr. Don't forget car insurance is also among the highest, we pay $5.6K/yr for 4 older cars.

Retiring a year from now, we just bought in Brunswick Forest. Our ONLY regret is being further from the kids.
As you said, a long drive every few months will be a nice adventure... but I feel that they will be more likely to take the drive to us.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
Quote:
Flood insurance rates for NON-COMPLIANT structures went up. Based on the finished floor elevation of the house. They were previously grandfathered. Now they are able to go up 25% a year until they hit the cost to insure. New policies (if you buy a house that is below Base Flood Elevation) will start at the cost to insure rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina