Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,596 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the area next summer (jobs secured). We plan to visit this winter to get a feel for the area but are more concerned about summer traffic. I'm hoping someone local has some input since we've already missed the crowd this year and we are looking to move early summer next year. We currently live in a highly congested area near the water in Maryland - it's something we would prefer not to move to. We have also considered the New Bern, Oriental area as well. I do realize this is a broad range and multiple counties and because of our job situation - we are flexible. We also have school age children (elem and HS) and both play sports. Decent schools are a must but don't have to be top notch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by JsJa02; 08-29-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,188 times
I mean really unless you plan to move to Emerald Isle or Atlantic Beach, the traffic isn't so bad. Couple times a year in the summer traffic can back up a couple miles going over the bridge. Swansboro is a great area. Yes it gets more crowded here in the summer but it'd not that bad really. Just don't move on the island and you will be fine.

-David

Old 08-30-2016, 09:13 AM

33 posts, read 51,872 times
In the areas you mention, you will only have traffic issues during the main weeks of the summer. And that traffic for the most part will be near the main stoplight at Cape Carteret before going over the bridge to Emerald Isle. Bridge traffic can back up down 58 and also down 24. Peak times for this would be on Friday afternoons/early evenings (mostly just people coming into the beach) and then again on Sunday afternoons/early evenings (mostly just people leaving the beach). This can vary depending on if its a holiday weekend which Monday's can experience heavy traffic as well with people who have that day off leaving to head home on that day instead. Weekend traffic on the island can get pretty congested for a couple of miles near the bridges on some days as well.

Honestly though just as the above poster said, the traffic is more an issue on the island or directly by the bridge. I live on the island and traffic does not really bother me as I know the times to expect heavy traffic. I also usually go to the grocery store during the week instead of fighting the crowds over the weekend.

Out of the places you mention, I would probably say to look at
Swansboro & Hubert area first (both on a 4 lane hwy, traffic would be little issue)

Instead of Havelock I would look at the communities near HWY 24 in between Cape Carteret & Morehead City such as Hubert, Bogue or Cape Carteret (all on or near a 4 lane hwy as well)

Stella (maybe if you found something on the river), you would most likely have more issue with incoming and outgoing beach traffic here because it is near the bridge on the 2 lane 58

Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM

33 posts, read 51,872 times
Sorry meant to say Newport, Bogue or Cape Carteret areas off Hwy 24

Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 AM

104 posts, read 148,369 times
What is traffic like in Beaufort during peak season? Is the bridge from Moorehead City also clogged up on summer weekends?
We're looking for a place near by, small house or manufactured home, (rent or buy) maybe on the Otway/smyrna/Straits/Gloucester/Marshallberg peninsula or on Harker's Island. Has anyone have experienced flooding in these areas? Most of the peninsula is 6 feet above sea level or LESS (We do have kayaks just in case). Living in coastal North Carolina is a trade-off: You get the benefits of a beautiful marine environment, great communities of friendly folks, fishing and seafood but you must be prepared for occasional Atlantic tempests and flooding. We think it's worth it. We appreciate everyone's input, City Data is a great site.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
Havelock will get you Tucker Creek Middle and Havelock High. Pretty good, and the high school is huge in sports.

There are some good schools in Carteret County, too.

I think Newport is a good area. Close to Morehead which has pretty good retail, no Havelock stop lights, and close enough to New Bern, if you want to go up there. Many friends in Newport and they all like it and its location.

I think you need to list factors such as schools, medical, price, traffic, etc, and based on importance, you will be able to better decide.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina