U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 10:15 AM

111 posts, read 74,459 times

Advertisements

Nags Head North Carolina was just featured very prominently on a show on television. The guy kept saying it is beautiful out there. I have never been and have no idea. It seems also very close to Virginia.

My question is perhaps a standard one.. Is it viable to want to live there, are there jobs, is it the most expensive part of North Carolina, do you need a car is it a big place or are there buses and it a small place? Is it considered "OBX" or Outer Banks? It also seems Northern North Carolina.

Simply a lot of questions, and I know nothing of there. If there as a thread about the area already, I did miss it.

Anyone want to chime in? Any locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 10:48 AM

11,273 posts, read 19,823,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
My question is perhaps a standard one.. Is it viable to want to live there, are there jobs, is it the most expensive part of North Carolina, do you need a car is it a big place or are there buses and it a small place? Is it considered "OBX" or Outer Banks? It also seems Northern North Carolina.
I have been a visitor to the Outer Banks, but would never consider living there full time. Most of the jobs would be seasonal and tourist-oriented. If you were fortunate enough to find a year-round job in teaching or health care, then you would have to deal with the boom-or-bust traffic. Heavy in the summer and almost deserted in the winter.

No, it is not the most expensive part of North Carolina if you live a bit inland. There is a very good school system in Dare County if you have kids.

I don't believe there are buses, and I believe you would need a car. The whole OBX is thinnly populated by permanent residents and is very spread out.

The other disadvantage of the OBX is that it is prone to tropical storms, and the main road has washed out before. If you lived there you would pay very high hurricane insurance, and might have to evacuate. Home maintenance costs are also high on HVAC equipment because of corrosion by salt air.

I don't think there is any specific identification with "Northern North Carolina". However, there are towns close to the state line where people commute into the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Portsmouth Virginia area. It is far more populated than the OBX and has jobs driven by the Navy and shipbuilding industries.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:36 AM

295 posts, read 238,816 times
Living on the beach can be a bit lonely for some in the winter on the Northern OBX, specifically Corolla, where we lived. Both my wife and I loved it and didn't find that to be a problem.

Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk are pretty much similar to small town life on the mainland. My wife was a teacher there and I was already retired. You can get an idea about jobs by visiting the NC Employment Security Commission in person or online.

walessp

Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,759,419 times
There is no comparison to living at the coast and vacationing there.

Many people living at the beach are more or less "on vacation." Even those with jobs. Generally it is near impossible to get satisfactory work done, if needed. When you are vacationing you are never relying on someone to fix something. Trust me, I know!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 5,402 times
Nags Head, KDH and Kitty Hawk are by far the most populated of the outer banks. That being said it's a zoo in the summer and dead in the winter. It's beach on one side and coastal sound on the other with not much in the middle. It is beautiful though. Lots of seasonal/tourism work in the summer and construction type work in the winter. Unless you fish or surf I wouldn't move there as it can get boring in the winter.

I've lived a bit further south on the banks and I can tell you it is desolate in the winter although there is a community that you can be a part of if you want.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 5,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
There is no comparison to living at the coast and vacationing there.

Many people living at the beach are more or less "on vacation." Even those with jobs. Generally it is near impossible to get satisfactory work done, if needed. When you are vacationing you are never relying on someone to fix something. Trust me, I know!
Haha, yes, surfing and fishing definitely has priority over working. I've seen guys literally drop their tools in the sand when the surf comes up.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 PM

11,273 posts, read 19,823,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygrabber View Post
Lots of seasonal/tourism work in the summer and construction type work in the winter. Unless you fish or surf I wouldn't move there as it can get boring in the winter.
One other kind of work in the winter is on the charter sport fishing or commercial fishing boats. If you have seen the TV show "Wicked Tuna Outer Banks", you know there is a tuna season.

Most of the winter tourists come to fish, either in the surf or on charter boats. The few restaurants and motels open in the winter are sustained by fishermen. I have visited in November, and it is still pleasantly warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina