U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM

83 posts, read 332,921 times

Advertisements

I have seen several threads on folks moving to Brunswick County. Please be aware there is only one bridge to get to Wilmington and it is a drawbridge. There is one other way up the same road off US 421 then to 17/140. All the folks I have known that have moved over there have regretted it for that reason. Just be aware and it gets more congested with each passing day. There is some talk of an elaborate bridge but that is years away. I guess if you are retiring and are not in a hurry to get into Wilmington its fine...otherwise...consider yourself duley warned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,287 times
It's also not all doom and gloom though. My husband and I recently moved to Brunswick County and he commutes to Wilmington to work every day. His hours are 8am to 5pm. He grew up in this area so he knew fully what he was getting into, and he has had NO problems with his commutes. We came from Concord where he commuting to Charlotte to work, and his drive is much better on his commute to Wilmington. He was late to work more often in Charlotte due to traffic backups caused by wrecks.

Yeah, it can be bad when there's a wreck on or near the bridge but as I said, daily commutes and he's been here for 4 months and NO major problems at all.

One thing I noticed. It takes him 45 minutes to an hour at most to get to work in Wilmington, and his work is located about that far. In Charlotte, with no traffic on weekends you could reach his office in about 30 minutes, it was 23 miles away. But on weekdays the commute was always at least double or more, it would always take an hour at best and at worst had even taken 2 hours to get to work, average time to get to work on what was literally a 30 minute's drive time away was an hour and 15 minutes.

So Brunswick County to Wilmington is not a bad commute but it depends on what you're used to, someone who's used to work being a 15 minute drive across town will hate it. Someone from larger cities will find it a little beter than average and at least, a better drive because it's a straight shot of highway miles.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,771 times
Are you still living there? We are from Concord too, and we are thinking of moving to Brunswick.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM

59 posts, read 99,380 times
I used to commute from Southport to Wilmington every day for work and it was not a problem, but then again I would be at work by 7:30 a.m. and try to leave no later than 5 p.m. to avoid the rush hour back.

There have been wrecks that caused hours of delay and that's when I'd go the long way through the backroads and reach NC-87.

I worked too far from the Ferry but I considered it as an option as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina