U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 AM

6 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. Can anyone elaborate on culture shock? I feel like our family has nothing to lose because we certainly don't like where we are. A lot of them are rude, their kids are the best, need all their status objects. No manners whatsoever. I have never seen such inconsideration on a regular basis. Most of the nice people I encountered were the original owners in the neighborhood. Will NC natives really be that unreceptive to transplants? My one saving grace up here is the gardening club. I have met so many good people there they just want to share their knowledge and volunteer on various projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 AM

98 posts, read 77,596 times
Let this thread sit for awhile and you'll get a lot of input from other Jersey transplants. We've met some and they've all chose Pender county - Hampstead. Also don't make any decisions without coming down and driving around the areas you like. You may find the area that looks great on Google Earth is terrible in person. And developing is always going on, so things can change drastically.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:50 AM

140 posts, read 109,534 times
We, like Daedalus, came from Hunterdon County, but it was 14 years ago. Our main home is a rural area near Charlotte (lots of culture shock) but we've had a place in Oriental for eith years now (no culture shock whatsoever). Oriental is a small town and working fishing village east of New Bern at the mouth of the Neuse River. There are lots of retirees, very ACTIVE retirees. Sailing, fishing, civic organizations, community theater, etc. I say no culture shock because most of the retirees and weekenders seem to be from the Raleigh area and for the most part are highly educated and friendly. Subdivisions are small and older, like 30 years or so with mature trees. The historic part of town is beautiful. The schools are Pamlico and I'm not too sure they are highly rated, but I do know that a graduate two years ago got into Harvard...It may be worth a look for you. If you'd like to get a feel for the town, check out towndock.net

Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torochic View Post
Thanks for the input. Can anyone elaborate on culture shock? I feel like our family has nothing to lose because we certainly don't like where we are. A lot of them are rude, their kids are the best, need all their status objects. No manners whatsoever. I have never seen such inconsideration on a regular basis. Most of the nice people I encountered were the original owners in the neighborhood. Will NC natives really be that unreceptive to transplants? My one saving grace up here is the gardening club. I have met so many good people there they just want to share their knowledge and volunteer on various projects.
I'm not from NJ but an NC native and know the rural places quite well so here my perspective from the other side of the coin.

When people talk about culture shock they just mean interacting with socially conservative people. You may encounter some laggard mentalities about some of the social developments to happen in urban areas since the 90s...but even the deepest most rural places people are nice as pie. Like not so much "I hate gay people" and more-so "I've never seen and don't know a gay couple"

Also NC was about farm country for the very longest so there are a lot of hurting downtowns kinda hollowed out by big box development and fast food culture

So I would just say they're saying "there are republicans around" and "there is nothing to do" in a lot of places social life was church life but I think you can find a gardening club about anywhere

I think for younger people we're all pretty much the same raised on the same mass media and internet just in rural places they struggle with the economic desolation of no jobs

That's about it.

On further reflection I assume you are considering from more suburban to more rural. A lot of the rural places have familial ties all around and of course networking through kids in school of course. I could imagine the transplant that sorta plops into a more rural place for just work would have more culture shock. So obviously some thinking about activities you can partcipate in to become part of the community is important....in coastal places shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited by hey_guy; 10-13-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 10:08 AM

133 posts, read 111,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Maybe not - depends on where in NJ is.
I grew up in South Jersey. Let me tell you, it is the definition of desolate. Pine trees, blueberry farms and nothing else. All that's local is a Wal-Mart and a Shop Rite. No shopping, no corner stores, bare bones restaurants. You need to drive to Philadelphia to really get anything. We had nothing to do as kids so we would ride ATV's through the woods. Nowhere else you can go to before you have a driver's license, which in NJ is 17 years old for a provisional license. It made for a very boring childhood.

I just got back from Fayetteville and Wilmington the other day. Let's just say they have 100 times the options I ever had growing up. If you grew up in those towns and moved to South Jersey, you'd have quite the culture shock. You'd be paying twice as much money to have nothing...unless you like really expensive pine trees.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,473 times
I too am looking at New Bern, What Do you mean culture shock? Slower pace? I am coming from top of state Sussex County. Do you All know New Jersey?. I am looking for a Change in life Style and lower Taxes. I don't want to Work to pay Taxes. I want to enjoy living. New Jersey has been great but the taxes are crazy. I Didn't Realize I might need insurance for hail and wind. I guess Hurricane insurance. Knew about Flood insurance, parts of NJ you need that too. My kids are looking at Colleges in NC, So following this thread. We visited Wilmington NC over the Summer, I visited years ago, but it is a little to City for us. Looking for a More home town feel. Visited New Bern years ago as well. Thanks in advance for any info............. following

Last edited by NCliving2018; 10-21-2016 at 01:27 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:13 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,355,005 times
For the record, I mentioned culture shock in terms of a high school student coming into a rural high school in eastern NC from New Jersey.

The kids will be different, culturally than what a kid from NJ would be used to, which is why I pointed him toward the coastal counties of New Hanover, Brunswick and Carteret, which have more transplants.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:05 AM

192 posts, read 162,666 times
I can't speak to the schools - my kids are grown and gone. Coming from near Sussex County, Hunterdon in my case, we could not have been made to feel more welcome in Brunswick County. Everyone we have met has been super.

Wilmington was far to busy for us and we didn't look at New Bern so can't give any input there. The Southport area has been a wonderful find for us and we are glad to be here. It just 'feels' right.

Insurance: yes, it's done differently down here: wind/hail is distinct from homeowners, auto insurance is a six month policy instead of annual. Flood insurance may or may not be required depending on whether your new home is in a flood zone or not. I'd suggest ask your realtor or contacts for insurance agent references after you decide on your home, then let them drive the train for you.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:06 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,658,733 times
Couple of items. There was no east west 4 lane highway in NC until the 90's. Wilmington in the 80's was undeveloped. The growth in ENC has come from retirees moving South and retirees from NC moving to the beachy areas. There are certain areas that have always been Summer magnets for North Carolinians including Moorhead City/Atlantic Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach (less so until the 90's), OBX, and a few smaller beach towns. No one I ever knew went to Southport except the people who lived there, however that has all changed, so no matter where you pick, there are still a lot more baby boomers in the NE and Upper MidWest that are looking at the same places you are for retirement, so it will continue to grow.

It is warmer in the Winter in the Wilmington area than the OBX and NE areas like Edenton and Wilmington does not get the Labrador current (cold water).

Old 10-23-2016, 12:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
To the OP: Where in NJ are you coming from? Big difference between the southern part of NJ & say Bergen County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or