U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 AM

227 posts, read 246,259 times

Advertisements

This has been an issue that has really bothered me for a long time, but recently it has received a bit more media attention and I’ve had a chance to do some more research. The more I read and investigate, the more outrageous it is. Anyone who lives in this country and is part of this society should be alarmed and concerned about this – especially given the nature of the internet and how online news media operate.

I thought one of our basic concepts that everyone agrees to agree on is that we are all innocent until proven guilty. How is it then that arrest records are available and allowed to remain intact and cause permanent, ongoing damage to an innocent individual’s reputation and prospective employment opportunities when there has been no conviction or the charges have been dropped? I think it is totally outrageous that local newspapers and television stations’ websites are plastered with “arrests” and mug shots when these people might have done absolutely nothing wrong and haven’t yet had their day in court to prove it.

People should be pressing elected officials and local media outlets to make a change reflecting the actual judicial process and legal outcome of each case rather than immediately ruining lives based on an often flimsy and unsubstantiated complaint by someone. I’ve met plenty of law enforcement officers who take a “better safe than sorry” approach and figure it the person is innocent then it will all be sorted out later on. That’s great – except if the arrest record stays around forever – and people are able to see it and use it against the person when doing a background check – then how can that be considered fair?

It is so unbelievable that this is how things work. Truly outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM

983 posts, read 3,522,663 times
What did you get charged with??

Old 10-19-2016, 01:28 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
The original post has nothing to do with Coastal North Carolina. I asked the moderators to move it somewhere like a Politics Forum.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

183 posts, read 241,033 times
Why post this on this page? Wrong place

Old 10-19-2016, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 4,241 times
Don't get yourself arrested.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM

192 posts, read 162,766 times
... and the OP's zip code is in the Raleigh area, not Coastal NC

Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Here is the deal.

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to "our" legal system. It is not a universal truth!

If you commit a crime, you did it, you did not do it until after the jury said you did.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
Whether this post is in the wrong place or not it is true. If you are arrested, even if it is unjustly and you are exonerated your mug shot will be on the police website forever. That needs to stop. Once you are found not guilty or evidence proves a person is not guilty of anything the websites should remove the names.

To the OP - I think I am going to start the ball rolling by writing to my state's representatives. I suggest you do the same.

And for the record I have never been arrested but someone close to me has and when the "victim" admitted she lied all charges were dropped. However the arrest & picture still show up and that's just not right on so many levels.

In addition for those of you wondering why I am posting on a Coastal North Carolina thread it is because I used to live in that area and have been following the flooding situation from Matthew.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 AM

192 posts, read 162,766 times
I have zero knowledge of how this works in North Carolina but the thread prompted me to search for mugshots linked to my last name. What is interesting is there is an unpublish link at the top of the results page at http://http://mugshots.com/US-Counti...ick-County-NC/ . This is true for Brunswick County, tho only one I checked, and perhaps other counties as well.

I do see this is a .com, not .gov site, so maybe this isn't the source the OP is concerned about. Perhaps the OP should try to unpublish the record to see what happens.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:43 AM

5,421 posts, read 2,339,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lroyal10900 View Post
what did you get charged with??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonandon View Post
don't get yourself arrested.
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or