Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 7,077 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon. My husband and I were planning on moving to Charlotte from Upstate New York, when a job offer came up in Wilmington. We are grabbing it, because we like the smaller city, and of course, proximity to the water! Problem is, we move in 3 weeks, and we have no where to live yet! We had plans to come down this weekend, and then with the hurricane, we have postponed it until next weekend.

We are looking to rent a house at first, and are looking for at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, not apartment. I guess my question is, what areas should I look in? Our children are grown, so we aren't concerned too much about schools. Our budget is around $1800 a month. I have checked the usual, Zillow, Trulia, etc., and have found some, I just don't know if they are in good areas! Anyway, getting very excited to not experience another New York winter!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,315,443 times
It depends on what type of area you want to live in. Downtown is nice, if you want an city-like, walkable area. The neighborhoods south of Oleander and east of College Road are nice if you want a more traditional suburban feel. Same for Ogden if you want to be a little further out of the city. There are some nice areas off Wrightsville Avenue that are between downtown and the "suburbs". You might be able to find a winter rental in Carolina Beach if you don't mind something shorter term in exchange for being on the beach, especially if you'd consider a condo.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 AM

13,345 posts, read 26,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Downtown is nice, if you want an city-like, walkable area. The neighborhoods south of Oleander and east of College Road are nice if you want a more traditional suburban feel. Same for Ogden if you want to be a little further out of the city. There are some nice areas off Wrightsville Avenue that are between downtown and the "suburbs".
These are all good suggestions, as are Hampstead, Castle Hayne, Rocky Point, Southport and Leland. Winter rentals at the beaches will usually be furnished. So, if you are moving your furniture, stick with the above suggestions.

Don't worry!! If you are spending $1800/month on a house, you will be in a good area. If you had a budget of only $800 for a house, you might be stuck in a less desirable area. Feel free to ask about specific addresses.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Okay, this is one that I am leaning towards. Dorsett Place, Wilmington, NC 28403. It says it's off Wrightsville Avenue, so that is one of the good areas, correct? Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-08-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: specif listing address

Old 10-05-2016, 11:38 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,315,443 times
I think that would be a nice area, yes.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Awesome, thanks so much guys! Can't wait to discover Wilmington and the surrounding areas!!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM

13,345 posts, read 26,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemgirl49 View Post
Okay, this is one that I am leaning towards. 6000 Dorsett Place, Wilmington, NC 28403. It says it's off Wrightsville Avenue, so that is one of the good areas, correct? Thanks so much for the help!
That looks very nice from the streetview. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,812,854 times
Quote:
Good afternoon. My husband and I were planning on moving to Charlotte from Upstate New York, when a job offer came up in Wilmington. We are grabbing it, because we like the smaller city, and of course, proximity to the water! Problem is, we move in 3 weeks, and we have no where to live yet! We had plans to come down this weekend, and then with the hurricane, we have postponed it until next weekend.

We are looking to rent a house at first, and are looking for at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, not apartment. I guess my question is, what areas should I look in? Our children are grown, so we aren't concerned too much about schools. Our budget is around $1800 a month. I have checked the usual, Zillow, Trulia, etc., and have found some, I just don't know if they are in good areas! Anyway, getting very excited to not experience another New York winter!!
What area of town will he be working?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:07 PM

7,179 posts, read 6,746,592 times
Quote:
Okay, this is one that I am leaning towards. 6000 Dorsett Place, Wilmington, NC 28403. It says it's off Wrightsville Avenue, so that is one of the good areas, correct? Thanks so much for the help!
While your intentions are good, it's never a good idea to post an exact address of a house you could be living in on a public forum.

Just some friendly advice.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:09 PM

I am back to report that we rented a home in Courtney Pines. It is close to husband's job, a nice, well groomed neighborhood, and very nice home. We visited this past weekend and looked around, and fell in love with the town! Looking forward to the move! Will be there next weekend! Thanks for all of the advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina