U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 10:05 PM

41 posts, read 43,950 times

Advertisements

So I am heading down to check out some Surf City houses in 2 weeks.. and also some carolina beach houses..... Anyone have any opinions on Carolina beach good or bad? Seems to be closer to wilmington but house price wise you can get a place just as close to the beach as topsail. I dont know the areas though to know if its any good. The realtor was sending me places from Topsail, Surf City, Kure, Carolina and Oak...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 05:04 AM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes0cket View Post
The realtor was sending me places from Topsail, Surf City, Kure, Carolina and Oak...
FWIW, those areas are not the Crystal Coast: that's Emerald Isle, etc. Search the forum for previous comments on dirty vs clean water. The Crystal Coast has cleaner water. Oak Island tend to be muddy.

People like Carolina Beach for vacations, but the access to the airport is easier from Surf City. Carolina Beach is obviously closer to amenities in Wilmington, but you will have worse traffic. So, It depends on what you want.

Other tidbits: Kure Beach allows smoking while surf fishing, and Surf City beaches are more dog friendly.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-05-2016 at 05:17 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Carolina Beach is more intensely developed and more commercialized than Topsail. It also has more year 'round residents. Just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 PM

36,906 posts, read 16,100,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes0cket View Post
So I am heading down to check out some Surf City houses in 2 weeks.. and also some carolina beach houses..... Anyone have any opinions on Carolina beach good or bad? Seems to be closer to wilmington but house price wise you can get a place just as close to the beach as topsail. I dont know the areas though to know if its any good. The realtor was sending me places from Topsail, Surf City, Kure, Carolina and Oak...
I think the entire area from Wilmington to the VA. line is called 'hurricane alley" for a reason.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think the entire area from Wilmington to the VA. line is called 'hurricane alley" for a reason.
You're the only person I've heard use that nickname to refer to that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Alley

Old 11-07-2016, 06:05 PM

36,906 posts, read 16,100,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Alley
Its been called that for as long as I can remember. And that's along time.

I have a relative who grew up in the Outer Banks area and told it to me many moons ago.

"The list of North Carolina hurricanes includes 413 known tropical or subtropical cyclones that have affected the U.S. state of North Carolina. Due to its location, many hurricanes have hit the state directly, and numerous hurricanes have passed near or through North Carolina in its history; the state is ranked fourth, after Florida, Texas, and Louisiana, in the number of cyclones that produced hurricane-force winds in a U.S. state.[2][3] Hurricanes in North Carolina history are responsible for over $11 billion in damage (2008 USD) and almost 1,000 total fatalities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ina_hurricanes

Old 11-08-2016, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 32,145 times
Quote:
The NC coast from Myrtle Beach SC to OBX has been referred to as "Hurricane Alley" for a long time.
The first time I remember it being called that was in the mid to late 90s when we had some storms back to back for a couple years (Bertha/Fran in 1996, Hurricane Bonnie in 1998, Dennis/Floyd in 1999).

It may well have been used way before that, I just remember local news stories using that term around that time.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
The NC coast from Myrtle Beach SC to OBX has been referred to as "Hurricane Alley" for a long time.
The first time I remember it being called that was in the mid to late 90s when we had some storms back to back for a couple years (Bertha/Fran in 1996, Hurricane Bonnie in 1998, Dennis/Floyd in 1999).

It may well have been used way before that, I just remember local news stories using that term around that time.
I guess you learn something every day. I'm 56, and my family has owned property at Wrightsville Beach since the mid-1950's and I've never heard anyone use that term.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 32,145 times
Quote:
I guess you learn something every day. I'm 56, and my family has owned property at Wrightsville Beach since the mid-1950's and I've never heard anyone use that term.
You got me curious on how long the term has been used and I found this article from 1999.

Hurricane alley? | Local News | fayobserver.com

It mentions:
"North Carolina became known as “hurricane alley’’ in the 1950s when six hurricanes hit the state within a three-year period."

There are more details in the article.

There is also a restaurant/bar in Carolina Beach named Hurricane Alley's.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
You got me curious on how long the term has been used and I found this article from 1999.

Hurricane alley? | Local News | fayobserver.com

It mentions:
"North Carolina became known as “hurricane alley’’ in the 1950s when six hurricanes hit the state within a three-year period."

There are more details in the article.

There is also a restaurant/bar in Carolina Beach named Hurricane Alley's.
Sounds like the term must have died out since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina