Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,171 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I am a Boricua (Puertorican from Puerto Rico) residing now in Michigan, brrrr tired of the snow and cold.
I am now considering moving to New Bern, North Carolina.
I am interested in hearing from people (Whites, Blacks, Indians, other races considered minorities in the United States) from New Bern and around the area of New Bern, NC.
I am in particular interested in hearing from Boricuas (Puertoricans) from the area of New Bern, NC.
I am a "trigueno" (light skinned like wheat) i am not a white Boricua. Some people said that i do not look black but rather a light skinned mediterranean, or Latino or light skinned Puertorican, I have the platano stain hence the trigueno. (The N in trigueno has an, apostrophe? on top)

How do they treat the minorities in New Bern, NC?
How do they treat Boricuas in New Bern, NC?
How do the Police treat the minorities in New Bern, NC?
Are there areas around New Bern that are off limits to people of color or Latinos?
Are there any KKK enclaves around the area of New Bern, NC? or in Washington, NC or in Jacksonville, NC?
How do they treat minorities around that area?

This is very important to me because i am in my mid fifties and the last thing i want to do is to live in a racist enclave.

I am not concerned with the job, career stuff since i am retired. I am strictly concerned with racism, outright and or overt and the underbelly and undercurrent of it.

Sorry forgot to add this.
Has any Puertoricans around the area of New Bern, NC, have ever bought a sailboat there from any of the sailboat's brokerages there?

Rise up and speak up and let me know how you were treated and if you recommend anyone in particular and why should i consider them.
How is the cost of living for someone who eats healthy, lots of produce, any large farmers market in the area of New Bern, NC?
Are there any Boricuas in New Bern, NC that cycle in the area? How is the area for cyclist there? How is the area for cyclist that are not white?

Thank you very much for your time.

Thank you very much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 PM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
You're really into labels, aren't you?

New Bern and NC are no more racist than anywhere else. NB is a fairly small place. I doubt there is are many Puerto Ricans living there.

I'd be much more concerned crime, quality of life and job opportunities than racism.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 22,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
You're really into labels, aren't you?

New Bern and NC are no more racist than anywhere else. NB is a fairly small place. I doubt there is are many Puerto Ricans living there.

I'd be much more concerned crime, quality of life and job opportunities than racism.
I am sorry if i have offended you my friend. I do understand your misunderstanding. If you are referring to the thread label i did that to attract attention. But as far as labeling humans, No, I am not into labels at all, matter of fact i hate any labels, because first you label people, then that dehumanizes them, then you justify killing them because of that label.

I don't bother with quality of life because once i remove certain factors from the equation i can determine quality of life. As far as opportunity, you missed what i said in the OP that i am retired, I am planning in buying a sailboat in New Bern and staying there a year living aboard and learning how to sail, and sailing out of there to the keys and on to the Caribbean. Hence the reason why i am taking temperature.

I like to live among white people in this country or in a nicely integrated community and i have lived in some very nice ones, but some white people make it almost impossible to be happy among them because they are racist, and many times there could be no alternatives if you are in a very small city like New Bern. Unfortunately, when you are a cockroach you need to be in the lookout for the chickens.

My apologies, i have no intention of offending anyone at all.

I want to know how I would feel in New Bern. Not many people posting....

Imagine this, you ask how is this town without saying hey, i am a dark Puertorican. So, everyone tells you, that it is great, clean, beautiful, you know the regular stuff. You get all happy and you drive there and wow, it is everything they said it was. You try to get housing and you continuously noticed that you are being steer consistently to a certain side of town. You are educated with various degrees, owned businesses and all that stuff so you don't look like a low socioeconomic threat.

So, you go and try to rent in the nice side of town and no one wants to rent to you, you can't find anything. But they are renting. Then finally you find a place, a nice place in a very low crime area and you wake up the next morning with graffiti written on your garage door "go home spik!" A few days later a huge pick up truck drives down your street with the biggest confederate flag you have ever seen and revs his loud engine as it passes your house.

Tell me my friend have you ever experienced something like this with your wife and children terrified? I have. So, I am very sorry that i made you upset, not my intention at all. I wish i didn't have to ask those things. But, not asking them could make for a bad experience and with the internet i can weed out many things that otherwise i wouldn't know until i got there. I just want to be accepted for my character and accomplishments than by the color of my skin, but some people force me to make sure i don't end up next to them.

Thank you for the info that you provided as far as you thinking that there may be not many Puertoricans in New Bern. So, what do you think about New Bern, tell me about the place, the people, the social gatherings, the farmer's market? Cycling? Police Dept? quality of the water of the River Neusse? Any good seafood around there? Thanks!

Last edited by CaptRican; 02-14-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Like most places, actually all places, where you stand is where you sit.

If you have resources to live a nice middle class lifestyle, you will lead a nice middle class lifestyle.

If you are heading down here impoverished, you will be impoverished here, too. And that will be no fun.

If you are wealthy, you will love the wealthy lifestyle here.

Don't expect to come down here, and use the race card as a means for upward mobility.

I think life is pretty bad, here, though not uniquely, for those at the near or poverty level. Middle class is ok.

I have no idea about the various flavors of Puerto Ricans. In fact your post, with all the categorization, is by far the most detailed I have ever heard. I expect you are a lot more attuned to your ethnicity than 99% of the people you will meet in New Bern.

In summary, the more you are willing to contribute to the New Bern community, the more accepted you will be.

With so many categories, I am not sure if your use of cyclists refers to bicycles or something else. If bicycles you are in luck. New Bern has two bike shops, Flythe and Atomic Cycles. Taking nothing from Flythe, IMHO, Atomic Cycles is WORLD CLASS. Several weekly rides at up to 25mph. Have no clue as to the ethnic makeup of the riders. Never really noticed. They have a web cite,

Oh, and our police chief is a black man, too. If that helps!

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
There isn't a very large Puerto Rican population anywhere in North Carolina. Not sure why. There are plenty of Mexicans and Central Americans in most areas of the state. You would most likely be mistaken for Mexican. I have a Puerto Rican friend and she gets that a lot.

New Bern is not known for being particularly racist, but I'm sure there are some bad apples there just like everywhere else. There are quite a few Burmese/Karen refugees settled there and Asians as well as whites, African Americans and Mexican and Central Americans. You can see the ethnic makeup here on City-Data: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Be...-Carolina.html

Any particular reason you picked New Bern?

Here's an older thread that might be helpful: Life for a Puerto Rican living in North Carolina

Last edited by poppydog; 02-14-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 PM

218 posts, read 342,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
[b]There isn't a very large Puerto Rican population anywhere in North Carolina. Not sure why. There are plenty of Mexicans and Central Americans in most areas of the state.[ /B]You would most likely be mistaken for Mexican. I have a Puerto Rican friend and she gets that a lot.

New Bern is not known for being particularly racist, but I'm sure there are some bad apples there just like everywhere else. There are quite a few Burmese/Karen refugees settled there and Asians as well as whites, African Americans and Mexican and Central Americans. You can see the ethnic makeup here on City-Data: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Be...-Carolina.html

Any particular reason you picked New Bern?

Here's an older thread that might be helpful: Life for a Puerto Rican living in North Carolina
No, there's just plenty of Mexicans, just Mexicans. Not Central Americans, I dont know why some people say that, i guess cause Central American groups look more like Mexicans (which is how alot of ppl think all Hispanics look like) compared to Caribbean groups like Puerto Ricans and Dominicans who have a more mulatto white/black look. But in reality, theres actually more Puerto Ricans in NC then all Central American groups combined, they are the second largest group after mexicans in the Atlantic South (VA, NC, SC, & GA) by far, however in Georgia and the Carolinas the Mexican population greatly dwarfs the Puerto Rican population, while in Virginia they are nearly equal in size. There is small Puerto Rican populations scattered in the Raleigh and Charlotte metropolitan areas, and Fayetteville. Of all major cities (over 200k in pop.) outside Florida and the Northeast states, Fayetteville has one of the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans in the country, its about 5% Puerto Rican (all Hispanics is 10%). It aint like up north where Puerto Ricans are large enough to carve up their own neighborhoods, not only does NC have smaller PR populations but its also less segregated, most Ricans live scattered. Theres probably smaller numbers in the Greensboro and Durham areas as well. As far as rural areas, youll probably find very few, but ill say youll more likely find them in small town/rural Eastern NC then in Western NC

Old 02-14-2016, 08:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
65% of the Latino population in NC is Mexican, 25% is from Central and South American countries, 8% is Puerto Rican.

Quote:
Latino immigration - North Carolina Digital History

Country of origin and citizenship
Most of the Latinos in North Carolina are of Mexican origin (65.1%). Puerto Ricans (who are US citizens) comprise 8.2% of the North Carolina Latino population, and Cubans or Cuban-Americans are 1.9%. The remaining 24.8% are from other Central or South American countries, or other Hispanic categories. In contrast, Latinos in the United States are a little less likely to come from Mexico (58.5%). They are slightly more likely to be from Puerto Rico (9.6%), or Cuba (3.5%). A little more than one quarter (28.4%) of Latinos nationally are from other countries.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 PM

124 posts, read 558,183 times
There is a huge number of people in eastern NC from Honduras. I have no statistics but just on an eye and word of mouth test, I would think they rival Mexico.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 PM

218 posts, read 342,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
65% of the Latino population in NC is Mexican, 25% is from Central and South American countries, 8% is Puerto Rican.
American FactFinder - Results

Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 AM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I am sorry if i have offended you my friend. I do understand your misunderstanding. If you are referring to the thread label i did that to attract attention. But as far as labeling humans, No, I am not into labels at all, matter of fact i hate any labels, because first you label people, then that dehumanizes them, then you justify killing them because of that label.

I don't bother with quality of life because once i remove certain factors from the equation i can determine quality of life. As far as opportunity, you missed what i said in the OP that i am retired, I am planning in buying a sailboat in New Bern and staying there a year living aboard and learning how to sail, and sailing out of there to the keys and on to the Caribbean. Hence the reason why i am taking temperature.

I like to live among white people in this country or in a nicely integrated community and i have lived in some very nice ones, but some white people make it almost impossible to be happy among them because they are racist, and many times there could be no alternatives if you are in a very small city like New Bern. Unfortunately, when you are a cockroach you need to be in the lookout for the chickens.

My apologies, i have no intention of offending anyone at all.

I want to know how I would feel in New Bern. Not many people posting....

Imagine this, you ask how is this town without saying hey, i am a dark Puertorican. So, everyone tells you, that it is great, clean, beautiful, you know the regular stuff. You get all happy and you drive there and wow, it is everything they said it was. You try to get housing and you continuously noticed that you are being steer consistently to a certain side of town. You are educated with various degrees, owned businesses and all that stuff so you don't look like a low socioeconomic threat.

So, you go and try to rent in the nice side of town and no one wants to rent to you, you can't find anything. But they are renting. Then finally you find a place, a nice place in a very low crime area and you wake up the next morning with graffiti written on your garage door "go home spik!" A few days later a huge pick up truck drives down your street with the biggest confederate flag you have ever seen and revs his loud engine as it passes your house.

Tell me my friend have you ever experienced something like this with your wife and children terrified? I have. So, I am very sorry that i made you upset, not my intention at all. I wish i didn't have to ask those things. But, not asking them could make for a bad experience and with the internet i can weed out many things that otherwise i wouldn't know until i got there. I just want to be accepted for my character and accomplishments than by the color of my skin, but some people force me to make sure i don't end up next to them.

Thank you for the info that you provided as far as you thinking that there may be not many Puertoricans in New Bern. So, what do you think about New Bern, tell me about the place, the people, the social gatherings, the farmer's market? Cycling? Police Dept? quality of the water of the River Neusse? Any good seafood around there? Thanks!
No offense taken, and I'm not the least bit upset. And actually, the labeling I was referring to was your own description of yourself.

As I said, I don't think New Bern is any more racist than anywhere else. It does seem to have a bit of crime problem, and frankly, its a bit of odd place for someone living in Michigan to (seemingly) just randomly pick as a place to move.

There are some existing threads on New Bern you can search for and read in order to get some more information. Its an ok place, imo, but not that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina