Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM

57 posts, read 274,376 times

Advertisements

I just received my renewal for my wind and hail policy, it went up about 40%!
Anyone know why? I have never filed any claims on any home insurance policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 14,815 times
my wind and hail insurence went up also. mine went from 948.00 to right at 1400.00. I dont live on the beach either. its really hard to own your home now a days!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
Default Would be nice if you guys provided some details?

We're looking to move to the New Bern area, and are trying to track big increases like insurance, etc.

Would be great if you included some details as to location, size, and approximate value.

Don't want to get personal, but the small details can help the rest of us plan somewhat.

I guess insurance on the coast is on the increase, and wonder where and when it will level off.

Regards,.....marc

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM

61 posts, read 293,599 times
I'm moving into the Myrtle Grove area, just got a couple of quotes, one company included wind and hail, $1000 deductable, coverage a little over $200k for the house, premium for the year was around $1440. Other company wouldn't write wind and hail so would to have got through the state. Total was around $1250, though some of the finer points of the policy wasn't quite as good. I'm probably going to take the higher one only because I'd rather have one policy for both as it makes me nervious having two policies where I may get into situation where they both try to argue that my claim is against the other part. Figure having one company leaves no chance for finger pointing.

On top of that is another $350 for flood insurance which isn't mandatory for me, but thought I'd get it to be safe.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

57 posts, read 274,376 times
We just had another insurance increase.
Home owners and wind/hail went up.
Insurance rate to increase by 17 to 30 percent for area homeowners | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

36 posts, read 186,297 times
We are going to settle on a home in Brices Creek in New Bern this week and now our Lender is mandating that we get Wind and Hail Ins. I'm having trouble finding a company that even covers it now. We have been to Progressive, Travelers, Geico, and USAA.
Can anybody recommend a company in the New Bern area that offers coverage???

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirein11 View Post
We are going to settle on a home in Brices Creek in New Bern this week and now our Lender is mandating that we get Wind and Hail Ins. I'm having trouble finding a company that even covers it now. We have been to Progressive, Travelers, Geico, and USAA.
Speak with your Realtor, they will be able to direct you. Your mortgage company may even be able to refer you to someone. If not, contact me directly, I will put you in touch with someone who handles New Hanover and Brunswick counties who may be able to assist you.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirein11 View Post
that's strange. I got my coverage through USAA. I don't think they are with USAA, but the coverage is through USAA.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 186,297 times
We tried USAA first since our Auto Ins is with them. Maybe they just stopped offering wind and hail coverage. Looks like Nationwide will be the company. It took most of the day on the phone but we finally found coverage as required by the lendor. The wind and flood part is over three times more than the rest of the policy. Yuch.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
USAA had VERY HIGH rates along the coast at one time. Their concentration of risk is too high east of I-95 with Army/AF/Marine all on the east side, or near east side. The business model, when risks are concentrated are just not compelling and as a result, the premiums are very high.

NC Farm Bureau is who we had when we lived on Oak Island, so it is who we called when we moved to NEW BERN. They were no problem and very reasonable rates. The reason is that the Farm Bureau, like Nationwide, have risks spread across the state. Contrary to all day, it was a very painless evolution.

I am a big Farm Bureua fan, though am 100% USAA since 1973 on everything else and on houses when not in hurricane area.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina