U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 904 times

Advertisements

Y'all --

We currently own a home on Oak Island, and have long thought about making this our eventual retirement spot. But there seems to be a change taking place -- it seems to be becoming much more a drinking/party hot spot, moving away from being a quieter family place. For instance, my next door neighbor regularly has very loud parties, and rents her house to "friends" who regularly do the same. They are outside now, screaming their heads off, drinking and throwing bottles around, acting like teen boys on their first time out in the woods alone.

(btw, if anyone asks me why I don't send my kids to public schools, I can simply point to my next door neighbor out on OKI, who is 40'ish, a public school teacher, and puts her kids up in a room on the second floor to watch television while getting dunk with her friends).

Diagonal, across the street, is another "party house," with loud parties on a regular basis, same sort of situation. A few weeks ago, a house across the intercoastal had music playing so loud we could hear the words to the songs clearly inside our house, which is a block from the water. I notice a proliferation of bars, as well, which seem to be springing up like weeds around the Island.

Does it seem to anyone else that the tone of Oak Island is changing? Is Oak Island becoming "party city?" Or has it always been this way, and I'm just starting to notice because I'm spending more time here?

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM

111 posts, read 206,411 times
My wife and I'm have lived on Oak Island for 12 years and haven't seen the problems your experiencing. I will tell people before you decide on a home here, do your homework. By that I mean walk the neighborhood talk to residents of the block and see if the homes are kept nice especially the rental properties. Now, if your home is near the beach, all bets are off and that's what you get at any beach front community.

I think that's the big advantage of living in a gated community like St. James, for example those are NOT the things you need worry about. Rentals aren't allowed and rowdy bars don't exist as do younger families.

For you it's too late, you have your property and location. My best suggestion is go to town hall and work with the local officials and explain your concerns. And don't be afraid to contact the offending homes owners. And there is a local police dept that does respond to noise complaints quality of life issues.

As far as the local bars go, the same sorry few nightclubs exist now that did so 12 years ago and I have NEVER seen a crowd at any of them.

Ron W

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM

478 posts, read 300,162 times
I've always heard it's very low key there.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
I live in Southport and own a condo in OKI and have not noticed or experienced any of the issues the OP cites. I agree that they should work with the town to mange any specific problems.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
My mother in law has neighbors that rent their home out ..... aggressively. There have been some real losers over there, totally out of control, but that is more an individual thing, not systemic.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,001,488 times
Well, I understand you have seen your next door neighbors have "parties" regularly, but you did create this message on New Years Eve night , pretty much the biggest party day of the year everywhere in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of houses across the entire island having parties on New Year's Eve.

I wasn't there of course and don't know the exact nature of the party, but I can imagine that with the island being so quiet, any small or medium sized gathering could become "loud" when compared to the normal peace and quiet in your area.

I think talking to your neighbor that owns the house would be your next best step if it continues to happen. Otherwise, yell across your porch and ask them to keep it down a little. If that doesn't work, a nice call to your local PD to file a noise complaint would probably work.

I would like to point out that lots of people like to party from all walks of life, teachers, firefighters, police officers, the guys that pick up your trash, the manager of your local bank, elected officials, doctors, lawyers and more. There are plenty of 40 year old Ivy league graduates that like to get drunk and howl at the moon every now and again. I don't think not sending your kids to public school has anything to do with that school teacher that likes to cut loose on the weekend. I'm sure there are a good number of private school teachers everywhere that like to do the same on the weekends while teaching your kids about history or science Monday through Friday. People can do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina