U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 86,058 times

Advertisements

If I wanted to live in or near downtown Wilmington and am looking to live amongst younger, 30s, single people and safe, where would I go? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhiggins View Post
If I wanted to live in or near downtown Wilmington and am looking to live amongst younger, 30s, single people and safe, where would I go? Thanks.
Your best bet is the area between by Water Street and 6th Street on the East/West, and between Chestnut Street and Castle Street on the North/South. It is not a very big area, but there are plenty of multi-unit homes in this area, that are converted into duplexes, triplexes, condos, etc.

My advice is to avoid everything between 7th to about 14th, anything south of Castle, and anything north of Red Cross. Downtown Wilmington has little pockets of nice areas, surrounded by lots of run down areas.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:32 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,817 times
I don't think that wilmington has anymore single people!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 PM

700 posts, read 2,942,380 times
Nowhere Downtown Is Safe!!!!!! And Right Outside Of Downtown Is The Absolute Worst Crime Area.sorry,but It's The Truth.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:47 PM

nowhere downtown is safe? that is like saying that no place on earth is safe. I guess the only safe neighborhood in wilmington is the "yankee encampment off eastwood road" aka landfall.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM

69 posts, read 328,751 times
Are there sections of downtown Wilmington where a resident can walk for 80-90 percent of shopping (grocery, PO, dry cleaners, drug store, bank, etc.) without having to cross major highways, or is it a city where you need to drive for most everything?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 PM

there are no drug stores or grocery stores downtown. the only drug store was tom's drug and they closed it down. you would have to drive to do shopping. however, they do have a farmers market most of the year on the weekends downtown. you could get produce there.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timunh View Post
Are there sections of downtown Wilmington where a resident can walk for 80-90 percent of shopping (grocery, PO, dry cleaners, drug store, bank, etc.) without having to cross major highways, or is it a city where you need to drive for most everything?
I know several people who live here without cars. My roomate does, for example.

I wouldn't recommend it - I mean, without a car you are limited to what's downtown, and the prices are really inflated. There's no grocery store within walking distance of downtown, but there are several little stores that have a decent variety. The closest grocery store is past 17th, and that is a long way to walk (like 20 blocks) through a rough neighborhood.

But yes, there are banks, dry cleaners, drug stores, etc. all downtown within walking distance. It is definitely a walkable downtown.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 22,711 times
Default Wilmington - living w/o cars

To live in downtown Wilmington w/o a car, You would almost have totake advantage of the BUS system to go anywhere.

The UNCW area is mch easier to live in without a car. There are many apartments within a few blocks of college rd.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 40,875 times
I disagree about avoiding anything north of red cross. North of red cross on fourth st. is the Brooklyn Arts District. A very up coming neighborhood with nice condos and business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina