U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 01:05 PM

41 posts, read 36,007 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the Boiling Springs Lake community? The houses in this area look really affordable; we'd like to buy something under $250,000-ish. I saw one post that said it was kind of secluded.

We'll be visiting in March (in Southport) to see if we'd like to retire somewhere in the Southport or inland area or near Wilmington. We don't play golf but love the outdoors - I mention golf because I see there are a lot of golf "plantation" developments but we don't want to have to pay for that amenity. We'd like to find an area where we can have some privacy with trees and where the houses aren't on top of one another.

We want to be somewhat close to medical facilities, grocery stores and restaurants; would prefer a 15-20 minute drive for these if possible.

We visited WNC, and loved the mountains and hiking - the really laid back, artsy vibe but the house prices in the Hendersonville/Asheville area are a bit pricey for our budget. Does Wilmington have that artsy vibe with festivals and the laid back feel? I grew up always near the ocean and I'm a little hesitant to be so land-bound if living in WNC; we can always take trips to get out mountain fix.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,462,617 times
BSL is a "semi-rural" town. The residences are on septic systems, so the lots are larger. Much of the surrounding area is federal protected Red-cockaded Woodpecker area, so some of it can't be developed. Its only about 10 minutes from Southport, and less than 30 minutes from downtown Wilmington. There is very little commercial development; its primarily residential and has a "country" feel.

As far as Wilmington, I would say it has a strong arts presence, although not as much as Asheville. Here is some information:

Cultural Arts in Wilmington, NC
Arts In Wilmington - We connect artists, arts professionals, and arts advocates in Wilmington, North carolina

Old 01-18-2017, 07:04 AM

41 posts, read 36,007 times
Do you know if additional homeowners insurance for wind and rain is needed in the BSL area?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,462,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrjo View Post
Do you know if additional homeowners insurance for wind and rain is needed in the BSL area?
I don't know for certain, but I would think so. I believe that is categorized at the county level, so it would apply to all of Brunswick County, since it is a coastal county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina