Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 AM

75 posts, read 71,098 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am an NC native (currently living in Raleigh now) and have moved all around because of my job for the past 20 years. I am now separated and looking to put down roots in another city on the beautiful NC coast. My friends and family are scattered with jobs, marriages and/or loss of both so I am at the point where I am ready to start over and make a new life. Can anyone recommend a coastal city with a good infrastructure and culture that doesn't evaporate when rental season is over? I have been to Southport and liked it but housing is somewhat limited. I don't need to be on the water but do want to be somewhat close - even the ICW is just fine.

I ADORE being a North Carolinian and the NC coast is the one place in this world that makes me feel like I have come home. I practically grew up at Atlantic Beach and spent time in Caswell Beach, Southport and Wilmington. I don't want to be secluded from civilization -I want to be involved in the community and to have an active church and social life as well. I know this is a tall order but I am not getting younger and am ready for Chapter 2 in my life. I am looking forward to my future and would love and appreciate any suggestions from people who live in the different coastal cities and towns.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
I live in Southport and love it. Many beach communities empty out in the winter and don't provide much of a sense of community. I'd look at Southport again, also maybe Carolina Beach and Beaufort. Whats your housing budget?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
My brother bought a place in Calabash, and my Nephew (his son) bought in Sunset Beach.....they both love the areas they moved to, but once the weather started to get cooler, my brother high tailed it to his house in Florida

Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 PM

324 posts, read 387,247 times
We love Sunset Beach but it is pretty dead in the winter - being in my 70s that is not a problem!

walessp

Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM

379 posts, read 580,007 times
If you're a little adventurous you could look at living on a boat if that's your lifestyle. Some of the marinas around Wilmington are very nice and it's a beautiful life in the summer to come home and live on the water.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:45 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I live in Beaufort and once the renters go home, life does not end. We have the American Music Festival (Chamber music), lots of local musicians appearing a various locales, all sorts of civic groups meet all year, the theater in Morehead still puts on performances, various libraries, in Beaufort and elsewhere, have the Let's Talk About It series where a series of books on a certain topic are read and then discussed, led by a scholar on the topic/book.

Since you mentioned you wanted to join a church where you'll be sure to find all sorts of ways to get involved and be part of the community.

Speaking as a "local," you just might find that the off-season is even busier than the summer season culturally...it's easier to have events when the population returns to its non-seasonal numbers. It sure is easier to get around.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I live in Beaufort and once the renters go home, life does not end. We have the American Music Festival (Chamber music), lots of local musicians appearing a various locales, all sorts of civic groups meet all year, the theater in Morehead still puts on performances, various libraries, in Beaufort and elsewhere, have the Let's Talk About It series where a series of books on a certain topic are read and then discussed, led by a scholar on the topic/book.

Since you mentioned you wanted to join a church where you'll be sure to find all sorts of ways to get involved and be part of the community.

Speaking as a "local," you just might find that the off-season is even busier than the summer season culturally...it's easier to have events when the population returns to its non-seasonal numbers. It sure is easier to get around.
Funny you mention this. My Nephew (Sunset Beach) says that once the tourist leave, the locals reclaim the beaches

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Funny you mention this. My Nephew (Sunset Beach) says that once the tourist leave, the locals reclaim the beaches

Yep. I love the late Fall, Winter and Spring on our coast...it's the quiet season and peaceful.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
I know yesterday, schools were still closed in Raleigh due to snow. Today here in Southport, it was 70 and sunny.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Vacay at the coast and living there are totally different.

Many people who live at the coast have returned in search of the one positive event from their youth. Others are "retired on board." By that I mean though they hold jobs, they are after a good wave, bite, or round of golf, first. Frequently service providers are no shows for appointments/meetings, etc. Finally there are people at the coast who have retired and become restless. So, they get into local politics since "everything" was so much better where they came from.

I experienced all of the above on Oak Island, back in the day.

Admittedly, AMAZON PRIME has mitigated a lot of the negatives. If you can insulate yourself from the negatives I have outlined above you will be ok. The coast is a lovely area.

I just found after several years I was unable to deal with the compounding irritants.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina