U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,012 times

Advertisements

I agree with what's been said. White collar jobs in particular are uncommon. It seems like everyone is either a developer or a real estate agent.

Finding a job is not hard. Finding a job that pays more than $8/hour, and finding a job that has advancement opportunities is another thing entirely. As the saying goes, Wilmington's workers get paid in "Beach bucks and sunshine dollars."

I know personally, I kept my options open to about 4 or 5 different cities (Charleston, Wilmington, Savannah, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.), and I sort of lucked out by landing a stable job in Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,278 times
Wow!! I was really thinking about moving there and starting a cleaning business you guys have me thinking this is a bad move

Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,641,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyrayai View Post
Wow!! I was really thinking about moving there and starting a cleaning business you guys have me thinking this is a bad move
I think starting a business here would be a decent move. At least no worse than anywhere else.

The issue is not that there's no money in Wilmington - there's tons of money here. It just isn't in the labor market, in high paying jobs. It is all tied up in real estate, the beaches, with wealthy retirees and seniors, transplants, etc., and the services they require. The medical industry here, for example, is GREAT. Wilmington has every kind of doctors office you can imagine, sometimes several of each.

It is just an unusual tourist/retiree economy, which drives up the cost of doing business, and makes it really difficult for certain fields.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,699 times
[FONT=Verdana]Totally agree...Wilmington can be very 'good ole boy'. There are only a few good quality employers. Many big ones are not so good, such as General Electric. You would think they would not play those kind of games, but they do. GE Wilmington is notorious for hiring those that come with either a 'wink and a nod' or they have a family member working at the plant already that can get them in. Nepotism is rampant! GE Nuclear will employee a person regardless of their criminal or personal history as long as someone on the inside vouches for them. And NO I don’t want or need to work for GE, I’m set. I lived here for some time and have run into a few too many people that made me wonder how they held down any job much less worked for GE Nuclear. Then I found out their family got them work there. Living on the coast is wonderful but finding a good employer here is difficult. Hopefully as Wilmington grows and people start asking the right questions about business practices things will get better and the ‘good ole boy’ system will go the way of the dinosaur. Good luck![/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM

610 posts, read 2,756,054 times
Quote: What is the job market like in Wilmington? hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Here is an overview of Wilmington's job market:
1)100% commissioned based sales jobs (working for some "fly by night" company)
2) Minimum wage retail jobs
3)Wait staff at restaurants (but employers want you to have 5-10 years of experience)
4)Temporary labor jobs with companies like Labor Ready and Labor Finders.

I have said this probably a million times, but I will say it again. Stay out of Wilmington unless you are a retiree with a big bank account, doctor, dentist, pharmacist, or a successful business owner.

Wilmington is just a town for all of the rich retirees from all the "Yankee States".

Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM

364 posts, read 552,967 times
Default "a million times"

As you say, you've said it a million times. You really didn't need to revive an old thread to say it again. We've heard it all before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina