U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM

98 posts, read 77,721 times

Advertisements

A little research and total wireless uses everything verizon, but they slow the data speeds down. Every review I've read said they can't notice the difference. But there are "slower" speeds your locked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
A little research and total wireless uses everything verizon, but they slow the data speeds down. Every review I've read said they can't notice the difference. But there are "slower" speeds your locked at.

I have no doubt that if I was high data user on my phone, or relied on it frequently for data usage, then I may not love Total. But I'm an occasional user of data on my phone, and it has always met my needs.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:28 PM

133 posts, read 111,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
I'm pretty attached to my iPhone 6s plus and wouldn't want to go down "just to have A phone". My husband has a high end android phone and we like to keep our phones for several years.... so that doesn't sound like an attractive option, unfortunately.
I don't want to sound like a jerk when I say this, but iPhones are one of the worst phones in the entire market for reception. I understand why people like them, but if your concern is reception, you can't do much worse than an iPhone. I would strongly recommend looking into a Motorola if coverage is your greatest concern, because in my experience Motorola tends to use the highest quality radios in their phones. Switching to a Motorola running Android could greatly increase your coverage area.

People too often discount the phone itself when it comes to coverage. You'd be surprised how drastically different phones test in the reception department.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Just checked and both my iPhone and husband's Nexus 6P both will work on Verizon! off to explore options.
You may want to research that option in full depth. There are three main bands used by wireless providers:

GSM/WCDMA/LTE - someone like AT&T
CDMA/LTE - someone like Verizon

You may be able to use data on both AT&T and Verizon because data flows through the LTE channel, but you could be S.O.L. if you are porting a GSM phone to a CDMA network on the voice side. I remember back in the day when T-Mobile people would port their phones over to AT&T. Well, it WORKED in theory, but T-Mobile phones only had a 1900MHz PCS band because T-Mobile carried their voice and data on 1900 MHz. AT&T primarily carried their voice on 850MHz cellular and their data on 1900 MHz PCS, so they'd have AWFUL coverage. Little do people know Sprint and T-Mobile don't have CELLULAR phones. "CELLULAR" is the 850MHz spectrum

You need to make sure your phone has 850MHz/1900MHz CDMA frequencies for Verizon AND all the LTE frequencies. It isn't so simple. It could *WORK* but not fully!! Consult this spreadsheet:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/05...print-tmobile/

Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 AM

69 posts, read 42,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk when I say this, but iPhones are one of the worst phones in the entire market for reception. I understand why people like them, but if your concern is reception, you can't do much worse than an iPhone. I would strongly recommend looking into a Motorola if coverage is your greatest concern, because in my experience Motorola tends to use the highest quality radios in their phones. Switching to a Motorola running Android could greatly increase your coverage area.

People too often discount the phone itself when it comes to coverage. You'd be surprised how drastically different phones test in the reception department.
I will respectfully disagree with you here Ive had iPhones for about 8-9 years now and we have been with ATT for 15 years, and I've almost never had issues with reception. When i did, it was when we were in total country where AT&T signal was at zero. I have zero complaints about iPhone on any front and have no plans to switch to the Android.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
You may want to research that option in full depth. There are three main bands used by wireless providers:

GSM/WCDMA/LTE - someone like AT&T
CDMA/LTE - someone like Verizon

You may be able to use data on both AT&T and Verizon because data flows through the LTE channel, but you could be S.O.L. if you are porting a GSM phone to a CDMA network on the voice side. I remember back in the day when T-Mobile people would port their phones over to AT&T. Well, it WORKED in theory, but T-Mobile phones only had a 1900MHz PCS band because T-Mobile carried their voice and data on 1900 MHz. AT&T primarily carried their voice on 850MHz cellular and their data on 1900 MHz PCS, so they'd have AWFUL coverage. Little do people know Sprint and T-Mobile don't have CELLULAR phones. "CELLULAR" is the 850MHz spectrum

You need to make sure your phone has 850MHz/1900MHz CDMA frequencies for Verizon AND all the LTE frequencies. It isn't so simple. It could *WORK* but not fully!! Consult this spreadsheet:

US Wireless Carrier Bands: Cheat Sheet
We are heavy data users (me especially) on our phones, so data connectivity would be very important. As far as your other point, our phones are pretty recent and we did confirm on the main Verizon site though phones' MEIDs that they will work on the Verizon network (which makes me think they should work find on TW).

Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
Do you know what the speeds are? I'm a pretty heavy data user on my phone, would not want that to suffer.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:24 AM

98 posts, read 77,721 times
Most reviews said they didn't notice a difference with the slower speed and they even tested it with netflix. Just google "total wireless reviews" and a bunch will come up. One of them did list the speeds. Im only guessing but I'd bet they opened up 4G on total wireless cause verizon is really trying to push 5g or whatever the next level data speed is supposed to be .

Old 02-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I will respectfully disagree with you here Ive had iPhones for about 8-9 years now and we have been with ATT for 15 years, and I've almost never had issues with reception. When i did, it was when we were in total country where AT&T signal was at zero. I have zero complaints about iPhone on any front and have no plans to switch to the Android.
I believe you that you have had fine reception with your iPhone. If you live in areas of very good coverage, you won't have issues. I'm speaking strictly scientifically: iPhones are bad when it comes to reception. It's not really open for debate, they're one of the worst on the market. You cannot judge your reception by the "bars" on your phone. They are meaningless. You will need to download a program that shows the -dBm.

You will struggle with reception when your phone breaks through -95-100dBm and it'll become a paperweight at <-110dBm. Apple has been caught many times inflating their "signal bars" with inaccurate internal meters - the iPhone 4 scandal was so big it got nicknamed "antennagate". You can download apps that show your true signal.

iPhone has the worst antenna signal, according to major Nordic study of call quality | The Independent

Apple's iPhone 4 Antennagate Timeline | PCWorld

If you can make it work for you, you're a lucky one! I suggest never holding it with your left hand. For people with iPhones that struggle with reception, try a better performing phone!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I believe you that you have had fine reception with your iPhone. If you live in areas of very good coverage, you won't have issues. I'm speaking strictly scientifically: iPhones are bad when it comes to reception. It's not really open for debate, they're one of the worst on the market. You cannot judge your reception by the "bars" on your phone. They are meaningless. You will need to download a program that shows the -dBm.

You will struggle with reception when your phone breaks through -95-100dBm and it'll become a paperweight at <-110dBm. Apple has been caught many times inflating their "signal bars" with inaccurate internal meters - the iPhone 4 scandal was so big it got nicknamed "antennagate". You can download apps that show your true signal.

iPhone has the worst antenna signal, according to major Nordic study of call quality | The Independent

Apple's iPhone 4 Antennagate Timeline | PCWorld

If you can make it work for you, you're a lucky one! I suggest never holding it with your left hand. For people with iPhones that struggle with reception, try a better performing phone!
Speaking scientifically?? Interesting. You don't question my good experience with an iPhone, but continue to post negative things about it. Let me guess.. you love Android. "i suggest never holding it with your left hand'?? why in the world would I not hold it with my left hand?

iPhones have worked flawlessly for me for many years now, so thanks for your concern, but I'm not intending to switch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or