Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 06:48 AM

275 posts, read 330,618 times

Advertisements

So my wife and kids are spending the summer with her mother up in NY. I was gonna fly outta Greenville like I usually do, but the prices this time seem to be so high that I need an alternate. I founfd out that New Bern has tickets way lower than Greenville.

I don't wanna go to RDU because it's over an hour away, I may have to go through baggage claim and that's always a long line, and TSA is also a long line. These lines are so long I usually have to be there 2 hr prior to make sure i get to my flight on time.

One thing I do love about the Greenville airport is all of the above takes less than 10 mins. So I came there to ask if New Bern was similar to Greenville or is it a little more like Raleigh when it comes to baggage and TSA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 08:02 AM

413 posts, read 701,528 times
I've never flown out of New Bern, but often use Jacksonville. They have a beautiful new terminal, no lines and a good number of flights, mostly connections to Charlotte.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
New Bern is a very pleasant little airport. It is David compared to the RDU Goliath. I have flown out of both airports countless times over the decades. I live in Morehead City so obviously New Bern is closer, but if I had to pick one over the other, I would definitely pick New Bern.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
My daughter flies out a lot from New Bern up to LGA, via CLT. The New Bern airport is great. TSA is quick and baggage is easy, though a little slow.

BEWARE: They recently have changed how you pay for parking. If you want to pay cash (like a dollar) you have to take your parking ticket in to the terminal, put money in a machine, and get another piece of paper with a code. If you do not do this, then you HAVE TO PAY WITH CREDIT CARD outside. We picked up daughter in early June, did not get the change, and waited in line 17 minutes to leave parking. When we took her back, we went to the machine inside, paid our dollar, and were the only car in the prepaid line. There were 11, yes, eleven, cars backed up at the credit card line.

Having said that, we have not had good luck on flights to Charlotte. Lots of delays, and the planes are tiny.

I read the comment above, but from New Bern, I would advise driving to RDU. Depending on where you are going, you get a direct flight, larger planes and generally more reliable service. I track this stuff pretty close on Flight Aware and FLTRADAR. Its also a little cheaper.

At RDU, they have a detached, "cell phone lot" where you can wait until you get a call to pick up the passenger. About 3 - 4 minute drive to pick up.

With the improvements to US 70, I believe we are going all in up to RDU. More reliable and you cut out a flight (and hence, potential for trouble). But . . . the airport in New Bern is fine!

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 PM

275 posts, read 330,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
My daughter flies out a lot from New Bern up to LGA, via CLT. The New Bern airport is great. TSA is quick and baggage is easy, though a little slow.

BEWARE: They recently have changed how you pay for parking. If you want to pay cash (like a dollar) you have to take your parking ticket in to the terminal, put money in a machine, and get another piece of paper with a code. If you do not do this, then you HAVE TO PAY WITH CREDIT CARD outside. We picked up daughter in early June, did not get the change, and waited in line 17 minutes to leave parking. When we took her back, we went to the machine inside, paid our dollar, and were the only car in the prepaid line. There were 11, yes, eleven, cars backed up at the credit card line.

Having said that, we have not had good luck on flights to Charlotte. Lots of delays, and the planes are tiny.

I read the comment above, but from New Bern, I would advise driving to RDU. Depending on where you are going, you get a direct flight, larger planes and generally more reliable service. I track this stuff pretty close on Flight Aware and FLTRADAR. Its also a little cheaper.

At RDU, they have a detached, "cell phone lot" where you can wait until you get a call to pick up the passenger. About 3 - 4 minute drive to pick up.

With the improvements to US 70, I believe we are going all in up to RDU. More reliable and you cut out a flight (and hence, potential for trouble). But . . . the airport in New Bern is fine!

Good Luck!
Parking wont be an issue because a family member will drive me to NB because I have to drive back to Greenville. I should had been more specific when I said NY, I mean Syracuse NY. Most of the time Charlotte usually has a direct flight there so I don't go thru LaGuardia.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
New Bern airport is a nice small airport. Everything is quick with very little waiting. Never had an issue flying Delta or American Airlines with delays. I would never drive up to RDU just to save a few bucks. Convenience is more important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina