Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,302 times

Advertisements

We received a notice of non renewal. We think the reason is for retaliatory reasons. If we holdover and they start an eviction process can we use a retaliatory eviction defense? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
What are they (maybe) retaliating?

Single family home or apt complex?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
It depends entirely on the reasons you believe may have caused the retaliation. NC does have retaliatory eviction defense available for tenants for certain reasons. Check this article out about it

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...Article_4A.pdf

If you read it and believe there is cause, you should definitely contact a lawyer about it. But after reading through it, I don't know if a defense applies to a non-renewal of a lease I assume there may not be anything you can do since you'd be completing the lease length as agreed upon when you signed it. I don't think they are obligated to let you stay after your lease is up or obligated to offer a lease renewal.

Either way, you should probably speak with a lawyer about this.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 PM

It is an apartment complex and we reported them to the State and to the County Health Department and the Fire Marshal. The problems were fixed and they are being monitored. We have never been late for rent. Usually early. Get along good with the neighbors and have never had any complaints or the police called to our apartment. The apartment complex is not full and they are actually offering rent specials to get people to move in.

I understand that they do not have to renew a lease. And if we holdover they have to file for a summary ejectment pursuant to G.S. 42-26. Which is an eviction. We are going to have to fight it one way or the other. We have a son in school and need to stay in the district till at least the end of the year. And since I have been looking into things I have come across a lot of other problems. I believe will be civil and possibly criminal. Don't want the fight. Just don't want to be in this situation either. They know I know things now and I think they might be afraid to file because I will bring everything out in court. It's a mess. I just want to be as prepared as possible if they do. And at this time can't afford an attorney.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:17 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Contact Legal Aid of NC and see if they can help you.

Home

Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 PM

805 posts, read 2,004,872 times
Sounds like a little more than meets the eye .... "maybe" on both sides.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM

Thank BC1960. I'll try that.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uze44 View Post
We received a notice of non renewal. We think the reason is for retaliatory reasons.
They are within their rights to not renew. And regardless of reason.
But considering the history... can you blame them?

Quote:
If we holdover and they start an eviction process...
...you invite a whole raft of troubles into your life.
Don't choose that path.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They are within their rights to not renew. And regardless of reason.
But considering the history... can you blame them?

...you invite a whole raft of troubles into your life.
Don't choose that path.
Exactly.

Outrageous.

Lease is up.

Move.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 PM

192 posts, read 256,874 times
Holdover: squatters.
Should have zero rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina