U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 AM

761 posts, read 384,558 times

Advertisements

Living in PA and tired of snow! Looking for a new life near shore in NC, in a smallish city with close access to hospital and grocery store, where we can walk and not worry about crime. Retirement still a few years away, so trying to plan ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 11,944 times
i am also looking for the same area. ive lived in north central ohio all my life and very tired of snow and cold weather.. love the coastal north carolina area.. hope some people respond.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM

98 posts, read 77,485 times
Just gonna comment on SOME of the HOA free areas I encountered. If you got the money and are paying a lot for a house in a HOA free area you're prob ok. But no HOA means you're expecting every homeowner to maintain their yard, park in their driveway and keep their house nice. The few HOA free areas we looked, people would park under the trees in their yard for shade. Or the landscaping was terrible, and there was pool equipment leaning against a fence sticking out in to the open. None of which was appealing to my family. At least an HOA allows you some "force" to get neglegent neighbors deat with.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Living in PA and tired of snow! Looking for a new life near shore in NC, in a smallish city with close access to hospital and grocery store, where we can walk and not worry about crime. Retirement still a few years away, so trying to plan ahead.
No town is ideal, but residential areas of Jacksonville would work. If you are looking for a smaller town, like Swansboro, it is not especially close to a hospital. Southport is also a nice small-ish town with a hospital.

Not much of coastal North Carolina is walkable because most developments lack sidewalks. You will typically have to use a car to get groceries, go to a library, etc. If you just want to walk for exercise, then a gated community might work.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Southport and Beaufort are worth a look. In Southport, I can walk to almost everything except a grocery store.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks for observing the details that I might have missed ~ had I not asked. :^D
A walk-able place is important so I don't fall into a reverse of being housebound because of the weather. As an early riser, I don't mind going for a 6 am walk to avoid the heat of the day in summer.
I have been browsing at homes online in Southport, and there are a few choices that look clean and a few years old. I will be wandering over to check out the homes in Beaufort and Jacksonville.
I'm looking for a smallish city and my apologies if I didn't clarify (its true, we all have a different concept as to what that is.. )
My idea of a smallish city is 30-50,000 pop. of downtown and immediate blocks and blocks of homes in grid by the sea.
I DO UNDERSTAND NOW, that just isn't what I'll find, and all of you have been nothing short of exceedingly polite in helping me come around to meet the great Ah-ha!
Thank you for helping us "connect the dots".

1960.. The Carolina Beach area you had mentioned kept turning in my head, and I realized we had stayed there for a few days in a Marriott. Yes, I definitely know the area. Not a bad suggestion as its close to the shore as one might want, and yet still close to Wilmington. Its worth driving through once again.

Does Southport have a lot of amenities? Did I hear there's a lot of main route construction going on over there. What's going to happen, is it road widening, or shopping centers?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM

hsw55 You make a very good point regarding what could happen using the example of the car parked under the tree. That would bring me a heavy sigh if that was the view from my window.

We like to keep a pleasant appearance (curb appeal) of our home, and of course appreciate when our neighbors are like minded. I would not be mad at a neighbor for doing that on his/her property, but I might not have a kind word to my own conscience for not thinking it through, as you have pointed out.

I'm very grateful for the mental visual you have shared.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

goldenage1 Thanks for reminding me there is a hospital in Southport. Nothing worse than having an emergency and having to drive for miles in traffic. A grocery store would be nice. Is there no grocery store there, or is it just not something a person would walk to?

Correct me if I'm leaning into a thought that needs correcting. When I look at the map I see Jacksonville beside the area outlined for Camp Lejeune. Am I okay in thinking there may be a lot of folks who are affiliated/working with the camp living in this area?

I have a vision of lots of younger families. Would that be accurate? (I'm not from around here).

Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Thanks for observing the details that I might have missed ~ had I not asked. :^D
A walk-able place is important so I don't fall into a reverse of being housebound because of the weather. As an early riser, I don't mind going for a 6 am walk to avoid the heat of the day in summer.
I have been browsing at homes online in Southport, and there are a few choices that look clean and a few years old. I will be wandering over to check out the homes in Beaufort and Jacksonville.
I'm looking for a smallish city and my apologies if I didn't clarify (its true, we all have a different concept as to what that is.. )
My idea of a smallish city is 30-50,000 pop. of downtown and immediate blocks and blocks of homes in grid by the sea.
I DO UNDERSTAND NOW, that just isn't what I'll find, and all of you have been nothing short of exceedingly polite in helping me come around to meet the great Ah-ha!
Thank you for helping us "connect the dots".

1960.. The Carolina Beach area you had mentioned kept turning in my head, and I realized we had stayed there for a few days in a Marriott. Yes, I definitely know the area. Not a bad suggestion as its close to the shore as one might want, and yet still close to Wilmington. Its worth driving through once again.

Does Southport have a lot of amenities? Did I hear there's a lot of main route construction going on over there. What's going to happen, is it road widening, or shopping centers?
I'd say Southport has decent amenities...lots of local shops (jewelry, wine, cheese, bakery, art galleries, etc.), great restaurants, a good Lowe's grocery store, a Walmart, a movie theater, a wonderful collection of historic houses and a beautiful waterfront. Its a very small town (population 3,000), but its surrounded by a much larger population, especially in summer. And Wilmington is 30-45 minutes away, with trader Joe's, Costco, theater, arts, etc.

Starting in 2018 NCDOT will begin widening the main highway leading into Southport (Hwy. 211) This will be a major PITA for about 2 years. Fortunately, its not the only way in and out.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM

New road can be a chore, indeed, but the finished road is a celebratory moment to be enjoyed by all drivers. Its probably going to make a major difference in traffic too.

Funny, last time I was in a movie theater it was in Wilmington. I think NC is calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or