U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Hi BC1960

I'm sure we would spend the $K for the right place. (I was using the $ as a jump off.)
A lot of online scouting is important, but checking down the coastline map, looking into town after town seems exhaustive, thus your town name dropping has been helpful to hone in to places that we might have overlooked.

Our biggest concern is too small of a town might get tiresome quickly if the lights don't stay on. I don't want to twiddle my thumbs until Memorial Day comes along. Wilmington however, just seems like its not quite the right fit. It doesn't seem peaceful or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about Wilmy ????

Currently in the cold, a nice neighborhood where everyone bought their home 25 years ago and everyone is around or nearing retirement. An idyllic situation for one's comfort level, being near wonderful people. Saying good-bye will be hard, but finding the new hello needs to be flawless. You probably know what I mean when I say there are just some happy neighborhoods.. we are hunting for the next one.

We are the kind of people, (thankfully) that invite everyone in for home made meals, pleasant discussions and help, and enjoy the people around us and truly care. If one cultivates that one also attracts it.

Our shore dollars can certainly be expanded when we find the community that jingle jangles for us.

Thanks for the heads up BC! Now onward!
Wilmington isn't on the ocean, either. Parts of it are bicycle distance to the beach, but not much. As I suggested in my other response, look at Carolina Beach. Its close to Wilmington, but is a separate community, right on the ocean. Obviously, its somewhat seasonal, but it definitely has a year 'round population.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM

761 posts, read 385,294 times
Chocotaco I will definitely be looking into the Beauforts (both).

You are the third person to bring up the name, so now I am REALLY intrigued what about this place comes to mind. Can you tell me more in your own words that would lure me there?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 AM

BC1960

Yes, Carolina Beach is now on the list, and will not be overlooked..
Any one thing that stands out in your mind about Carolina Beach that brings a smile to your face?
Do you mind sharing it?

This is very kind BC, thanks.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
BC1960

Yes, Carolina Beach is now on the list, and will not be overlooked..
Any one thing that stands out in your mind about Carolina Beach that brings a smile to your face?
Do you mind sharing it?

This is very kind BC, thanks.

Easy, Britt's Donuts! LOL

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Britt...89424071099111

Old 02-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Chocotaco I will definitely be looking into the Beauforts (both).

You are the third person to bring up the name, so now I am REALLY intrigued what about this place comes to mind. Can you tell me more in your own words that would lure me there?
Just be aware neither is oceanfront. NC (pronounced bo-fort) is a small, historic town on the intracoastal waterway. Similar to Southport. SC (pronounced bew-fort) is an extremely attractive, historic town near Hilton Head.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
The only town like New Bern on the NC coast is New Bern.

-Elizabeth City and Washington both feel different. Bath may be just as historic, but it is much smaller and doesn't have the amenities that New Bern has

-Morehead City and Kill Devil Hills both seem touristy (the latter much moreso than the former)

-Jacksonville? nope. To be honest, I find Jacksonville to be lacking for a city of its size.

Greenville is inland and not really close by the ocean. Ditto that for Kinston

Your best bet would be to go to the Virginia forum to see if they have anything similar up there.

Dear Reknowned...

I'm trusting your vision here.
A drive through Elizabeth City several years ago removed it from the list of possible places to live.
A friend's sister lives in Washington. I went on the Washington website to see pictures of a gas station and a Wal-Mart. Need I say more (wink).

We have by-passed Kill Devil Hills. We were told it is really for summertime fun mostly.
I'm not sure if Morehead City is part of the equation yet. I'll be looking into it. A picture tells a thousand words.

As far as Virginia goes.. it seems that Virginia Beach is the main Atlantic Beach area. There are other beaches but there's a fractured feeling out there. We have visited VA beach, and it didn't scratch the itch. Maybe if we were in our 20's it would have appealed to us, but the area, at least in the downtown was touristy oriented and didn't have the vibe of a community as much as a hotel strip for vacationers, which is perfect if you are on vacay.

So thanks for helping me eliminate towns I might have wasted thought and minutes on.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Dear BC1960.

Britt's!! What are you doing to me?!!

I'm on a diet, and now you've got me drooling all over my screen just looking at those crunchy crispy oily donuts. Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

I'm in trouble now!

Last edited by tidaldream; 02-13-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 07:50 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:

I went on the Washington website to see pictures of a gas station and a Wal-Mart. Need I say more (wink).
Washington is small and probably not what you're looking for, but it has one of the best waterfronts around; so, yes, you should say more.

Or at least do a better search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...ih=316#imgrc=_

Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,748,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Washington is small and probably not what you're looking for, but it has one of the best waterfronts around; so, yes, you should say more.

Or at least do a better search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...ih=316#imgrc=_
Agree with Phil. Little Washington has a great waterfront, is about 25 minutes, EZ, from all the Big Box stores you would want in Greenville, and is on a river that rapidly turns into a sound. Many people like its famous, RED HOT DOGS, though I find them revolting.

Employment would be a huge issue in Washington, however.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Agree with Phil. Little Washington has a great waterfront, is about 25 minutes, EZ, from all the Big Box stores you would want in Greenville, and is on a river that rapidly turns into a sound. Many people like its famous, RED HOT DOGS, though I find them revolting.

Employment would be a huge issue in Washington, however.

Its also not oceanfront. In fact, its about 2 hours from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or