U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM

761 posts, read 385,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Southport is at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. Its a big, wide river, but it not like the ocean in that there are no waves (except from passing boats). There a few small beaches, but since it was a working waterfront for hundreds of years there is a lot of old wood, bricks, stone, etc. in the water, so its not conducive to wading in the water and swimming as one would do on the oceanfront. Plus the currents are very strong.

As I stated previously, most of NC's oceanfront consists of barrier islands, and the beach communities are largely seasonal communities that empty out in the winter. Carolina Beach, and to a lesser extent, Oak Island are the only oceanfront communities that I am aware of that have a year around community.
I'm catching onto the barrier island/river concept. (1960 you are so patient with me {:-)
I was accustomed to visiting the Atlantic from more northern states where you don't see much of that.
I do believe one adapts if they love where they are.

I have just received a generous package of booklets, guides, maps, and brochures from New Bern.
I think I will call the other possibilities on our road trip list to see if they can send us a similar visitors packet.
I'm still thinking about those damn donuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Is Oak Island an area that gets flooded a lot from storms?
No more so than anywhere else.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
poppydog (cute name :+)

Is Charleston too big?

I don't know? Is it CRAZY traffic? (my definition of CRAZY traffic is mid-summer weekend traffic on the main road [with malls, big shopping, grocery stores] and what seems to be all people driving to the beach with woofers and tweeter blasting). <-- something we navigated through on the main drag in Wilmington in July.

Charleston is tempting and we've always been tempted to visit by virtue of its beauty.
Thanks to the movie: "The Garden of Good and Evil".
A friend tells me about somewhere nearby called the Isle of Palms, although its described as "sleepy". Yes, I would like to witness Charleston as a possibility and go find that garden's angel.
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was set in Savannah, so you won't find that angel statue in Chucktown.

SC is similar to NC, with lots of barrier islands along the coast. Charleston is close to the beach, but not on the beach. Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are the 2 main beaches; I always though Folly was the "sleepy" one, but I may be wrong. Better to post questions about that on the Charleston board.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM

My jaw dropped when I read my movie faux pas.
Hitting my forehead. Thanks for the shake.

I know zero about SC, thus far, I would like to actually focus on NC..
so no more talk about Beaufort (Bew-fort, SC) or Chucktown.

I think we have a good handful of towns to visit anyway.
Do I have this right when I say: Washington, Morehead City/Beaufort, New Bern, Carolina Beach, Southport are,
on the water (not the ocean, I understand)
charming, like New Bern, or Williamsburg VA
has a decent hospital,
close to shopping of all kinds (food, chain clothing stores etc)
is upbeat & lively arts, theater, museums, all round cultural activities
(for near retirement age/not bar scene)
and.. A BEACH, yes it can be on the river.
Which of these towns has an airport that major airlines fly into (up to an hour & 1/2 away)?
We are getting close to ruling any towns out now.. Its good to rule out those that don't fit the criteria, don't you think? It's okay to drive down just to visit 2 towns, if that's what works..
4 or 5 is okay too.

Everyone has been so open and thoughtful. How can I thank you?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Quote:
My jaw dropped when I read my movie faux pas.
Hitting my forehead. Thanks for the shake.

I know zero about SC, thus far, I would like to actually focus on NC..
so no more talk about Beaufort (Bew-fort, SC) or Chucktown.

I think we have a good handful of towns to visit anyway.
Do I have this right when I say: Washington, Morehead City/Beaufort, New Bern, Carolina Beach, Southport are,
on the water (not the ocean, I understand)
charming, like New Bern, or Williamsburg VA
has a decent hospital,
close to shopping of all kinds (food, chain clothing stores etc)
is upbeat & lively arts, theater, museums, all round cultural activities
(for near retirement age/not bar scene)
and.. A BEACH, yes it can be on the river.
Which of these towns has an airport that major airlines fly into (up to an hour & 1/2 away)?
We are getting close to ruling any towns out now.. Its good to rule out those that don't fit the criteria, don't you think? It's okay to drive down just to visit 2 towns, if that's what works..
4 or 5 is okay too.

Everyone has been so open and thoughtful. How can I thank you?
Carolina Beach is actually on the ocean, but you are correct in the other cities & towns.

I"m listing the towns and their distance to the nearest beach for you.

Washington, NC - 1hr 30 minutes (Atlantic Beach)

New Bern - 45 minutes (Atlantic Beach)

Southport - 10-15 minutes (Oak Island/Caswell Beach)

Morehead City / Beaufort - 5-10 minutes (Atlantic Beach)

I've also included websites for each group of beaches.

Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Ocracoke) https://www.outerbanks.org/

Brunswick County beaches (Oak Island, Caswell Beach, Sunset Beach) NC Brunswick Islands | Official Tourism Site | NC Beach Rentals & Vacations

Crystal Coast (Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Emerald Isle) Crystal Coast | North Carolina's Vacation Gem

Topsail Beaches (Topsail Beach, Surf City) http://www.topsailbeach.org/

I think you're getting so much response because we are all pretty proud of our beaches in NC. They're all beautiful and perfect for vacations or retirement life where you want to slow down, disconnect, and relax. It does lead to 70% of the businesses in some of these small beach towns to close up shop for 3-4 months, but there are still lots of people that choose to live in these towns all year long.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Lots there to answer. Carolina Beach isn't particularly charming, at least not in the colonial sense like New Bern and Williamsburg. It is directly on the ocean, however.

Southport has a hospital, is about 45 minutes from the Wilmington airport (and other amenities of Wilmington) and the downtown area/historic district/waterfront is charming. Outside of that its rather plain. Its a very small town (3,000 population) although it is surrounded by other towns that give it an effective population of 20,000 or so, plus many more in the summer.

I've never been a big fan of New Bern, outside of downtown its either scuzzy or plain jane. Morehead City/Beaufort has a hospital and the closest airport is New Bern, but its tiny...7 departures a day, only going to hubs in Charlotte and Atlanta. Beaufort is cute, MC isn't very. I haven't been to Washington in years. The nearest airport is Greenville, with 3 flights a day, all to Charlotte.

I suspect if you spent some time on Google maps using street view, you could eliminate some or even all of your options.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:07 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
Quote:
Is Oak Island an area that gets flooded a lot from storms?
We lived on Oak Island in the mid 90s. Our home was on the waterway on the side of the island away from the ocean. We were on pilings with a large screened porch, surrounded by trees.

In 1996, I think we had two Cat 3 hurricanes within a few weeks whose eye passed over or very near Oak Island. I ass/u/med all the trees near my porch would have shredded the screens. Turns out there was absolutely no damage whatsoever in two pretty big storms.

Oak Island has not been so fortunate with all hurricanes.

http://https://ncseagrant.ncsu.edu/coastwatch/previous-issues/2014-2/autumn-2014/hurricane-hazel-fast-and-furious/

Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 AM

We now have our road trip information and routes to sort.
Soon we'll be making our trip to NC well equipped with clear vision because of your help.
Our gracious thanks to all of you folks who love where you live and it shines.
You are welcoming ambassadors to North Carolina.
We will do you proud. Thank you, all.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
tidaldream,

You are welcome! Please let us know how your trips go!!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM

133 posts, read 111,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Per Zilllow, there are no new homes in Beaufort, SC or NC for $200,000 or less. That's a very low budget for the coast.
They are both small towns. Ever consider building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or