U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:44 AM

761 posts, read 385,294 times

Advertisements

We've just returned from visiting Southport and Oak Island. Thanks to all of you folks who have shared input regarding this area.

First of all there is this flukey weather that made it to 79 or 80 degrees and I will guard that precious memory with a fondness. I love the warm weather.

Oak Island was as summertime beachy as they come. Pastel houses, the waves, seagulls and that great restaurant overlooking the water on the west side of the island on 57th st. Whoa! those stuffed deviled crabs are worth the trip. The trip felt like a dream with the perfect weather as the backdrop.

Southport is truly a gem. If you live there..shut up. (You know what I mean, wink).
We loved it...LOVED IT! Its got a lot of charm, and activities that are conducive to our style.

...and though I trust New Bern might be equally as wonderful, its distance to the shore stops us from the temptation of visiting there. Sorry NB!

Our next drive down will be to Beaufort NC.. unless you can give us a good reason why not.
(it seems like its about the same size as Southport.)

Palm trees! what a tropical feel. A great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
We've just returned from visiting Southport and Oak Island. Thanks to all of you folks who have shared input regarding this area.

First of all there is this flukey weather that made it to 79 or 80 degrees and I will guard that precious memory with a fondness. I love the warm weather.

Oak Island was as summertime beachy as they come. Pastel houses, the waves, seagulls and that great restaurant overlooking the water on the west side of the island on 57th st. Whoa! those stuffed deviled crabs are worth the trip. The trip felt like a dream with the perfect weather as the backdrop.

Southport is truly a gem. If you live there..shut up. (You know what I mean, wink).
We loved it...LOVED IT! Its got a lot of charm, and activities that are conducive to our style.

...and though I trust New Bern might be equally as wonderful, its distance to the shore stops us from the temptation of visiting there. Sorry NB!

Our next drive down will be to Beaufort NC.. unless you can give us a good reason why not.
(it seems like its about the same size as Southport.)

Palm trees! what a tropical feel. A great time.
Glad you liked Southport. It is wonderful!

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM

562 posts, read 931,934 times
Quote:
My jaw dropped when I read my movie faux pas.
Hitting my forehead. Thanks for the shake.

I know zero about SC, thus far, I would like to actually focus on NC..
so no more talk about Beaufort (Bew-fort, SC) or Chucktown.

I think we have a good handful of towns to visit anyway.
Do I have this right when I say: Washington, Morehead City/Beaufort, New Bern, Carolina Beach, Southport are,
on the water (not the ocean, I understand)
charming, like New Bern, or Williamsburg VA
has a decent hospital,
close to shopping of all kinds (food, chain clothing stores etc)
is upbeat & lively arts, theater, museums, all round cultural activities
(for near retirement age/not bar scene)
and.. A BEACH, yes it can be on the river.
Which of these towns has an airport that major airlines fly into (up to an hour & 1/2 away)?
We are getting close to ruling any towns out now.. Its good to rule out those that don't fit the criteria, don't you think? It's okay to drive down just to visit 2 towns, if that's what works..
4 or 5 is okay too.

Everyone has been so open and thoughtful. How can I thank you?
Just to let you know the only Tier I airport in this area is MYR (Myrtle Beach is an International Airport) - The small Greenville Airport and Wilmington, NC airport (which is the closest to Southport) can be quite expensive to fly out of..... (We know these things as my son is a private pilot and works in the Tower at PHL)

Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 AM

41 posts, read 35,840 times
We are currently in Southport, and also love the quaint downtown which has a lot of charm - shops and great restaurants. We drove through some of the "plantation" developments and liked St. James and also Arbor Creek. Went out to Oak Island a couple of times to walk on the beach and have lunch at The Flying Fish Cafe restaurant which is excellent! Yesterday we went up to Wilmington and thought the the front street area was pretty cool - lots of people out and about. We also drove down to Carolina beach and then out to Ogden which we thought was very congested with lots of bumper to bumper traffic caused by all the traffic lights. We also plan on checking out the Topsail/Hampstead area to see what that area has to offer. We found that a lot of the developments have cookie-cutter type houses right on top of each other - St James/Arbor Creek areas had different style homes with trees, and vegetation, etc. with more privacy.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM

11 posts, read 3,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Have you looked into both Beaufort, NC and Beaufort, SC?
I am also curious on your thoughts of Beaufort, SC? Close but not too close to Savannah. Small but not too small. I, too, am looking for a "just right"coastal town and often gravitate to Beaufort, SC and New Bern, NC. Lately, I have been looking seriously at Charleston because I will need to find a job in the Chemical/Lab industry.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM

89 posts, read 96,423 times
Tidaldream and others interested in Oak Island from someone who lives here. I wrote the following post answering questions the person had about OKI being a ghost town in the winter and things for kids to do. I thought I'd cut and paste it for your info.

Frist let me say I really enjoy reading the opinions of people on these forums. The one thing I do not like is people who don't live here commenting. We have lived here for 2 1/2 years and have seen two winters. I can tell you for a fact there are no roaming bands of kids with nothing to do. There are many activities at the schools, teams to join, fishing, kayaking (never gets that cold here). Here's an example of one thing - the town built a skate park - do you think that's for tourists? No, it's for the local kids. There's also tennis courts and a Par 3 golf course all owned by the town and for the use of locals along with a great rec center. There's been an influx of new restaurants - large and small and three new ice cream shops. I'm not saying no kids get in trouble here but certainly not like what was portrayed by other posters who do not live here.

Our taxes are very low, the insurance if you are right on the beach is up there for flood insurance but we are 4 blocks to the beach and do not have to pay flood insurance. Water and sewer are combined and there is a base rate that is high - we are a couple and we fill our hot tub and irrigate and ours is usually $140-160. Again, this includes sewer and our trash/recycle pickup. The town is very good about picking up leaves, tree limbs and yard waste at no charge. We have an excellent police department and two fire departments.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to be here consider it our slice of paradise. Good luck and as someone said, please visit.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:50 AM

86 posts, read 261,543 times
Quote:
Hi BC1960

I'm sure we would spend the $K for the right place. (I was using the $ as a jump off.)
A lot of online scouting is important, but checking down the coastline map, looking into town after town seems exhaustive, thus your town name dropping has been helpful to hone in to places that we might have overlooked.

Our biggest concern is too small of a town might get tiresome quickly if the lights don't stay on. I don't want to twiddle my thumbs until Memorial Day comes along. Wilmington however, just seems like its not quite the right fit. It doesn't seem peaceful or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about Wilmy ????

Currently in the cold, a nice neighborhood where everyone bought their home 25 years ago and everyone is around or nearing retirement. An idyllic situation for one's comfort level, being near wonderful people. Saying good-bye will be hard, but finding the new hello needs to be flawless. You probably know what I mean when I say there are just some happy neighborhoods.. we are hunting for the next one.

We are the kind of people, (thankfully) that invite everyone in for home made meals, pleasant discussions and help, and enjoy the people around us and truly care. If one cultivates that one also attracts it.

Our shore dollars can certainly be expanded when we find the community that jingle jangles for us.

Thanks for the heads up BC! Now onward!
We are looking for EXACTLY what you are looking for. I live in North Georgia now, in one of the most expensive and fast growing counties in the US. I don't want to stay here for sure. Looking for that peaceful, walkable town that doesn't go to sleep at 6:00 every evening. Southport, as someone mentioned is really nice, and one of my favorite vacations so far, but I'm not sure there is enough "downtown" to it to not get bored over time. We absolutely LOVED Newport RI, but my husband refuses to go anywhere really cold. Sooooo, I will keep watching this thread and vacationing to potential places. I will let you know if we find anything. Question, have you been to Washington or Bath NC?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alch3mist View Post
I am also curious on your thoughts of Beaufort, SC? Close but not too close to Savannah. Small but not too small. I, too, am looking for a "just right"coastal town and often gravitate to Beaufort, SC and New Bern, NC. Lately, I have been looking seriously at Charleston because I will need to find a job in the Chemical/Lab industry.
I personally did not like Beaufort, SC very much. There is no beach around there unless you are a member of a country club of sorts. There is a marsh there, but most of our stay it looked like it was low tide. Cute shopping/downtown area but not what we are looking for.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I just looked at a map of Southport.

It appears to be on the water, though not ocean, but is that water like ocean water? and are there beaches along the edge?
Beaufort NC or SC? South Carolina Beaufort is not really on the water.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miper70 View Post
We are looking for EXACTLY what you are looking for. I live in North Georgia now, in one of the most expensive and fast growing counties in the US. I don't want to stay here for sure. Looking for that peaceful, walkable town that doesn't go to sleep at 6:00 every evening. Southport, as someone mentioned is really nice, and one of my favorite vacations so far, but I'm not sure there is enough "downtown" to it to not get bored over time. We absolutely LOVED Newport RI, but my husband refuses to go anywhere really cold. Sooooo, I will keep watching this thread and vacationing to potential places. I will let you know if we find anything. Question, have you been to Washington or Bath NC?
Bath is tiny...population 249. If you think you will be bored in S'port, you certainly wouldn't like Bath.

I live in Southport, and I don't get bored, but obviously different people have different needs. I suspect there is more going on in S'port that you might imagine. Plus, Wilmington is only about 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or