U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 38,853 times

Advertisements

Newbie here so if there is another thread on this please let me know...

Last 4th of July we went with friends to visit Tybee Island, GA. It was a very very laid back and low key town. We stayed in a small 2 bedroom cottage across the street from a playground. Across the street from that was the beach. We rode our bikes across the island for ice cream. We watched fireworks. I wore shorts and a tank top 5 days in a row. I wore makeup 0 days in a row. We took our kids everywhere and nobody cared what they did. WE LOVED IT.

Our friends are not returning this year and I'm wondering if there is something similar a bit closer in the NC beach area. I hear a lot about the outer banks but there are so many towns. Do you know of anything that sounds as low key as what I am describing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
All NC beaches are low key. Location and cost are primary factors. Where do you live? Whats your budget for a weekly rental? Carolina Beach and Oak Island would probably work for you in southeast NC.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 AM

98 posts, read 77,596 times
Yes, all beaches in NC are relaxing. No hustle and bustle. Holden, topsail, surf city, wrightsville, carolina ect. You can't choose wrong. The last 4 I know for sure are bike friendly beaches. Obx I can't comment on , I went there once and the beach was all shells and painful to walk on. That being said it was an awesome area and the sand can change. Most people seem to like Corolla and Duck.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM

219 posts, read 164,527 times
Depends on how laid back you want to go. Topsail Beach, Surf City, Holden, Oak Island, Sunset and Carolina Beach are all pretty low key. Riding bikes in any of these towns shouldn't be a problem. I'm most familiar with Topsail and the OBX beaches and IMO, Topsail is more laid back than OBX, at least anywhere from Nags Head to the north. Duck and Corolla are nice, all of it is nice but more people there in the summer than the southern beaches.

The larger neighborhood communities along the OBX make for great bike riding with kids. Points south of Nags Head are more low key, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and Hatteras.

With toddlers, you may find the waters (ocean) at the southern beaches a bit more hospitable than those along the OBX but any day/week anywhere can offer calm and flat conditions.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:08 PM

10,677 posts, read 11,300,112 times
I would pick one of the Brunswick County beaches (south of Wilmington). The waves are usually fairly gentle (not Gulf Coast gentle, but similar to Tybee). The OBX has rougher surf and is very popular with surfers for that reason. The sand at the Brunswick Co beaches will be similar to Tybee, too. The Brunswick Co beaches are big and wide. Lots of times there are tide pools at low tide which are great for a toddler to play in. We like Sunset and Ocean Isle, but I've heard other folks rave about Holden. Lots of folks like Oak Island and Bald Head Island is pretty swank.

NC Brunswick Islands | Official Tourism Site | NC Beach Rentals & Vacations

North Carolina Coast Official Tourism Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or