U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM

35 posts, read 32,232 times

Advertisements

Florida is overrated. Beaches here are less crowded and, in most places, in better shape.

Sunset beach is a perfect quiet destination but if you wants things to do the Wrightsville/Carolina/Kure beaches are good. Emerald Isle and Swansboro are nice spots also. Southport is another quaint town with gorgeous views.

NC still has palm trees along the coast, which I don't understand, frankly. The more south you go, the more palms you'll find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Have you actually been to NC before? Otherwise I'm not sure how you can be so "dead-set" on moving to this an no other state?

Nobody can tell you where you "should" move to, since we don't know you nor your tastes and needs. Weather? Cost of Living? Entertainment options? Low traffic? Nice neighbors? What things that only NC has?

Best thing to do is take a weekend or week trip here and see for yourself. At least you've got it narrowed down to the coast, so you could see a lot of the eastern part of the state in a few days.

Your question is like someone asking "Hey, what part of WI should I move to?" with little other info--there is no single answer.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 PM

667 posts, read 558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Have you actually been to NC before? Otherwise I'm not sure how you can be so "dead-set" on moving to this an no other state?

Nobody can tell you where you "should" move to, since we don't know you nor your tastes and needs. Weather? Cost of Living? Entertainment options? Low traffic? Nice neighbors? What things that only NC has?

Best thing to do is take a weekend or week trip here and see for yourself. At least you've got it narrowed down to the coast, so you could see a lot of the eastern part of the state in a few days.

Your question is like someone asking "Hey, what part of WI should I move to?" with little other info--there is no single answer.
Did you even read the OP's post? He was not asking where to move to. Only where they should visit. He's doing exactly what you suggest.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 PM

667 posts, read 558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
We both work in the cell phone industry ..I work for US Cellular and she works for Sprint..We currently reside in Wisconsin (yuck) and finally want to move out by next year. When we sell our house we will have about 40-50k to put down on a new one, but our plan is to rent a house for the 1st year and then buy.

Here's the problem..We have been talking about moving to N carolina for years...But her mom and brother just recently moved to Tampa FL, and ever since then my wife keeps talking about Florida. Keep in mind I told her a while back FLORIDA AND CALIFORNIA are the 2 states I DO NOT want to move to. And she at that time agreed...

So we are planning to visit N Carolina in April to check out the area..My question is..What cities/areas should we visit? We want to live MAX 20-30 mins away from the beach...I want her to LOVE this area but I am afraid she will just convince herself to hate it due to wanting to move to Florida...I would appreciate some input, don't want to take her to areas where its run down and all..Shes all about Palm trees and all about the beach scene!! Thanks
I would suggest checking out Manteo, on Roanoke Island. Great little town. Swansboro is another good choice.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:15 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Having been married 30 plus years, I would suggest doing what the wife wants!

Old 02-23-2017, 07:46 PM

711 posts, read 589,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Having been married 30 plus years, I would suggest doing what the wife wants!
LOL! For the most part!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
I lived in NC for 9 years, about 90 minutes from the coast. The beaches are nice but if I were ever to move out of Florida, it would be closer to the mountains of North Carolina where it's not so humid. I have been through heat spells in NC that were way worse than any I experienced in SW Florida.

There are parts of Florida that are beautiful like any other state. Depends on what you and your wife are looking for and how much you want to spend to live near the beach. Personally I love Boca Raton on the east coast of Florida. I've never seen such a clear, beautiful beach.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 7,843 times
We were there last year, i fell in love with Calabash, Subset Beach, Willmington, there are so many places, you really can't go wrong

Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Happy wife - Happy life.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM

77 posts, read 205,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
ya we were going to check wilmington hampstead and holly ridge areas...Seems as if Holly Ridge has a ton of nice homes for cheap..But from what I understand not much there for amenities ...Is this true? And hows hampstead ?
Hampstead and Holly Ridge have little to offer. However, Topsail Island is close by. Wilmington has a lot of crime and is #1 in the nation for opioid abuse. Consider Brunswick County. There are many nice developments around the Southport and Leland areas. Not to mention Ocean Isle and Holden beaches. Myrtle beach, SC is less than an hour away and there is plenty to keep her busy there. If you both agreed against Florida (wise decision), it seems a little selfish for her to want you to move somewhere you have already agreed against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina