U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM
3 posts, read 2,330 times
Reputation: 10


Thanks everyone for your responses!

Just a bump here to see if anyone has experience with finishing a lower level on a canal or ICW home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
219 posts, read 164,360 times
Reputation: 193
From what I can tell, it's all going to depend on what your which zone your property falls in (AE, V etc..) and what your BFE is within that zone. You may be able to finish it out but some insurance companies may decline to give you insurance for that part of the home and since it's built out that may also in turn increase the overall cost of insurance for your entire home because those walls will end up putting additional pressure on the pilings should water end up under your home.

I am currently trying to find facts on simply enclosing more than 300 sq. feet for storage space, totally unfinished. You are allowed to finish up to 300 sq. ft. for entry access, elevator and stairs. No electrical (beyond code), plumbing or any types of appliance (hot water heaters, HVAC units etc.) are allowed to be housed within that 300 feet.

I see enclosed areas below homes all over the place. Some are garage/storage, some are full-on living spaces. Not sure how they got it done or what the insurance implications are. Best thing to do is to call an insurance firm and ask them their opinion - have all your flood zone information (or at least an address they can look up) on hand. You may not be able to get accurate information without having the Elevation Certificate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 AM
419 posts, read 1,242,090 times
Reputation: 192
If you are on the canal, you are more than likely in the AE or V flood zone. You can go to NCFloodmaps.com and type in the address to be sure. In the past, permitting authorities allowed construction of habitable space to take place at or below the 100 yr flood plane (AE Zone). Not really the case anymore. Assuming that you were allowed to finish a lower level below the base flood elevation, your insurance would go through the roof. It could easily go from $1,000 per year to over $10,000 per year or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top