U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,152,807 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm a former resident of Wilmington (twice) and am familiar with Hampstead/Topsail/Holly Ridge. I'm looking to return to the area, but not to the areas mentioned. This go 'round I have two elementary school-aged children with me. I am not familiar with Southport, but am interested in the area. I'm used to tourist traffic and dead winters. That doesn't phase me. What I am interested in is feedback on Southport schools, crime and rental opinions in the area. Preferably single family homes. Max budget would be $1300.

I know these are common questions and rest assured I did search (AND READ! ) the forum. Most of the threads of interest are from last summer and older.

So hit me, regulars! I seek your knowledge!

Thanks!!
CeCe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:42 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Southport is extremely safe and low crime. Southport elementary school is average to slightly above average. As long as you are involved with your children, they can get a good education there. Rentals are tight, but they do exist in your price range. You'll need to look aggressively and be prepared to jump when one pops up.

I'd suggest getting on online subscription to the local paper (comes out weekly on Wednesday), the State Port Pilot. They print a crime report in every issue, and you can see how miniscule crime is (it weren't for shoplifting at Wal-Mart there would be almost none). The classified ads are a good source of rental house possibilities, too. You can also check the websites of some of the larger realtors like Southport Realty, Margaret Rudd, etc.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 PM

Hey I appreciate all of this! Thank you! I didn't think S'port was bad re: crime, but it's been a while since I've lived down that way. I saw there are some private school options that I'd be interested in if I won the jackpot.  I think I'll need to pop down for a weekend and check things out.

What about townhomes. Are they around down there? I see, in searching, that there are condos.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 AM

152 posts, read 141,716 times
Ive lived in the Southport outskirts a few years, but I have no experience with the local schools.

There are some very active Facebook groups focused on Southport and Oak Island and Im sure you would get a good number of opinions about the public, parochial and charter schools in the area. They could also answer your housing questions, or anything, really. These groups are the main ones that allow members that live outside the area:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/southportnc/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/southport.nc.locals/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OakIsland/

Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Apologies!! I didn’t respond to this! I really appreciate these links. I had to delay my plans for a year because ... ya know... life happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’ll be heading down in April with plans to house hunt this go ‘round. Can you guys advise me on what the “commute” looks like if I bought in Oak Island and had to drive the kids to South Brunswick Middle? Is it horribly congested?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 AM

The drive to SBMS from Oak Island wouldn't be bad, depending on where you are on Oak Island (its 10 miles long!). From the east end to middle it would take 10 to 20 minutes, longer the more west you go on the island. No real traffic issues, except once you get to school itself with everyone dropping off.

Going home on Friday afternoon in the summer will obviously take longer.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 AM

Oh that’s not bad at all!! I was looking on the map and wondered how much traffic would impact drive time. Great! Anything new going on that I need to know about in the area?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Oh that’s not bad at all!! I was looking on the map and wondered how much traffic would impact drive time. Great! Anything new going on that I need to know about in the area?
Nothing I can think of. Its continuing to grow like crazy. Houses under construction everywhere on Oak Island.

I think this summer the state is going to start widening Hwy. 211 between Southport and Midway Road. Its going to be a huge PITA.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:57 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,022,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think this summer the state is going to start widening Hwy. 211 between Southport and Midway Road. Its going to be a huge PITA.
According to this article from last September, it's supposed to start in June, but there's a big chance that it won't start until later because of problems relocating utilities. Construction is estimated to last 4 years.

Despite higher cost, N.C. 211 four-laning project is still a go, area residents assured

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 PM

152 posts, read 141,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
According to this article from last September, it's supposed to start in June, but there's a big chance that it won't start until later because of problems relocating utilities. Construction is estimated to last 4 years.
Indeed. I cannot give a reference that's online, but two weeks ago it was reported in the State Port Pilot newsaper that the start of construction wont be until Dec of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or