U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,962,979 times

Advertisements

Help!!!!!!

We live in Ocean Ridge Plantation and have ATMC Cable and Internet which runs us around 266.00 a month. We have a modest size house,2700 sq feet and all rooms are on the first floor except the finished bonus room which is on the second floor. This is where our issue is. We have 3 Smart TV's and bonus room has a 60 inch Vizio.

We get horrendous, if any internet service on the second floor and any time we try to "stream" a show it constantly goes out. They have installed a "Extender" at the bottom of the stairs from the Kitchen to the bonus room but the reception still is horrendous..

Does anyone else have this problem? If so what were your next steps? Our 2 year agreement with ATMC ends in August and I am trying to research if there are any options out there that works.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM

145 posts, read 234,745 times
Biscman,

Let me ask you a few questions to see if I can come up with anything.

1. Is your service from ATMC via fiber (FOCUS like FiOS)?

2. What kind of router do you have (is it a 2.4G / 5.0G (dual band) model - that is what I have from ATMC or a single 2.4G model)?

3. If you do have a dual band router, which of the networks are your on (the 2.4G and 5.0G are separate networks)?

4. What speed service do you have from ATMC?

Based on your answers, I have some different solutions that may help you.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Help!!!!!!

We live in Ocean Ridge Plantation and have ATMC Cable and Internet which runs us around 266.00 a month. We have a modest size house,2700 sq feet and all rooms are on the first floor except the finished bonus room which is on the second floor. This is where our issue is. We have 3 Smart TV's and bonus room has a 60 inch Vizio.

We get horrendous, if any internet service on the second floor and any time we try to "stream" a show it constantly goes out. They have installed a "Extender" at the bottom of the stairs from the Kitchen to the bonus room but the reception still is horrendous..

Does anyone else have this problem? If so what were your next steps? Our 2 year agreement with ATMC ends in August and I am trying to research if there are any options out there that works.

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

4,956 posts, read 2,197,701 times
Gurrr .... I have been on Time Warner forever and am pretty disgusted with their service. ATMC is laying FiOS and will be available soon as an alternative and I was really hoping it would be better.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:33 PM

I have ATMC FOCUS (FiOS is a Verizon product that I had in the DC area). I subscribe to their fastest tier (1G down and 100M up). I can receive my WiFi signal through out my house and down the street. I am using a brand new computer (set it up today) and just did a speed test via my WiFi and I had 113 Mbps down and 91.54 Mbps up. I think you will be happy with ATMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Gurrr .... I have been on Time Warner forever and am pretty disgusted with their service. ATMC is laying FiOS and will be available soon as an alternative and I was really hoping it would be better.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM

Good morning Paul

1-no, no fiber slated to come into the newer section of Ocean Ridge Plantation. Developer, Saunders, refuses to invest and $$ for updating required lines for Fiber Optic.

2-How do I tell the type of router I have??

4- I just updated last week to the 100 mps from 50 last week, no difference

Thanks

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
Biscman,

2. What kind of router do you have (is it a 2.4G / 5.0G (dual band) model - that is what I have from ATMC or a single 2.4G model)?

3. If you do have a dual band router, which of the networks are your on (the 2.4G and 5.0G are separate networks)?

Paul

Old 03-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Jim,

1- I was wondering about your connection being fiber as that would give me an idea of your systems capability.

2- There should be a model number on the router, which would let me know if you have a 2.4G/5G router.

4 - So this tells me it may not be the data rate going in to your house, but a router issue.

Try doing a couple of speed tests, one in the first floor and the second where you are having signal issues

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:
Good morning Paul

Good morning Paul

1-no, no fiber slated to come into the newer section of Ocean Ridge Plantation. Developer, Saunders, refuses to invest and $$ for updating required lines for Fiber Optic.

2-How do I tell the type of router I have??

4- I just updated last week to the 100 mps from 50 last week, no difference

Thanks

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Biscman,

Paul

Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 AM

Paul, thanks for responding.

We have a ARRIS TG862 Modem

I did the Speed test and metrics came out to : 23.49 mps Download and 20.50 Upload.

A week ago I updated my plan to 100 mps and we're not any where near that...

Getting real frustrated with ATMC but don't know what my options are. Is there a more powerful modem out there I can buy that will work with the ATMC Internet service??

Thanks

Jim

Quote:
Jim,

1- I was wondering about your connection being fiber as that would give me an idea of your systems capability.

2- There should be a model number on the router, which would let me know if you have a 2.4G/5G router.

4 - So this tells me it may not be the data rate going in to your house, but a router issue.

Try doing a couple of speed tests, one in the first floor and the second where you are having signal issues

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Thanks,

Paul

Old 04-01-2017, 08:40 AM

192 posts, read 162,576 times
Paul is on the right track, in my opinion, in suspecting modem/wireless router performance. 24MB download isn't the best, but should be sufficient to watch TV.

The description seems to indicate service upstairs is poor, but not sure about on the first floor. Can you run Speedtest again downstairs close to the modem, near one of the smart-tvs downstairs, near the new extender and again upstairs near the 60" screen and post the results here?

Can you connect your computer to the router by cable? If so, run Speedtest that way. It would be good to know what throughput you are really getting before hitting the wireless.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:48 AM

just redid Speed Test and results were Download 43.62 Mbps Upload 44.47 Mbps

ATMC guy came out and spent 3 hours and advised us we are one of everyone in Ocean Ridge Plantation with this problem with upstairs having very weak reception. We need fiber optic to be set up in our section of Ocean Ridge, which will not happen, to resolve issue according to him. He suggested we buy a Night Hawk Router as a possible solution but they cost 350.00 and no guarantee it will resolve problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NC View Post
Paul is on the right track, in my opinion, in suspecting modem/wireless router performance. 24MB download isn't the best, but should be sufficient to watch TV.

The description seems to indicate service upstairs is poor, but not sure about on the first floor. Can you run Speedtest again downstairs close to the modem, near one of the smart-tvs downstairs, near the new extender and again upstairs near the 60" screen and post the results here?

Can you connect your computer to the router by cable? If so, run Speedtest that way. It would be good to know what throughput you are really getting before hitting the wireless.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:46 AM

192 posts, read 162,576 times
Quote:
just redid Speed Test and results were Download 43.62 Mbps Upload 44.47 Mbps

ATMC guy came out and spent 3 hours and advised us we are one of everyone in Ocean Ridge Plantation with this problem with upstairs having very weak reception. We need fiber optic to be set up in our section of Ocean Ridge, which will not happen, to resolve issue according to him. He suggested we buy a Night Hawk Router as a possible solution but they cost 350.00 and no guarantee it will resolve problem.
Maybe I misunderstood. Is the connection to the second floor a cable or is it wireless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or