Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 PM

133 posts, read 162,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NC View Post
My Google skills are poor today!

Where do you rent golf carts and is there a website with rates, etc.

We would like to visit but bikes and walking won't work due to physical limitations.
You rent them at Cary Cart Company. They're located pretty much right where the ferry dumps you off past the bathrooms.

Custom Golf Cars for Sale or Rent | Cary Cart Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 AM

192 posts, read 256,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
You rent them at Cary Cart Company. They're located pretty much right where the ferry dumps you off past the bathrooms.

Custom Golf Cars for Sale or Rent | Cary Cart Company
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 AM

244 posts, read 230,848 times
Great pics!!!

Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
Great pictures! We went on a whim 12 years ago and have been vacationing there ever since. My wife and I have traveled the world and still haven't found anything as beautiful as BHI. If you have the opportunity to visit again, you should take a kayak out on the salt marsh. So many amazing photo opportunities.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:04 PM

133 posts, read 162,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
Great pictures! We went on a whim 12 years ago and have been vacationing there ever since. My wife and I have traveled the world and still haven't found anything as beautiful as BHI. If you have the opportunity to visit again, you should take a kayak out on the salt marsh. So many amazing photo opportunities.
Thanks. I am on track to relocate to the general area in about 5 months. One of my first purchases will be 2 kayaks. It looks like a doable row from Southport or Caswell.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
How jaded you must be. There are few places in the world, let alone in the US, like Bald Head Island. The history alone, let alone the flora and fauna make it incredibly unique. The very unique settlement is few and far between as well. Are you native to NC? Because that would explain why you are so unappreciative of the world around you. I lived in Philadelphia for a decade before I ever bothered to look at the Liberty Bell. I walked past it a hundred times, never cared to look. Then again, Bald Head Island is about 100,000 times better than the bell.
Wow! I disagree with you about BHI and your response is personal attacks and armchair psychology? Just so you know, I'm neither jaded nor unappreciative of the world around me. I'm simply discerning enough, and well traveled enough, to know BHI is just ok. People can have different opinions, and express those opinions, without being attacked.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wow! I disagree with you about BHI and your response is personal attacks and armchair psychology? Just so you know, I'm neither jaded nor unappreciative of the world around me. I'm simply discerning enough, and well traveled enough, to know BHI is just ok. People can have different opinions, and express those opinions, without being attacked.

Your original response to the OP was "Bald Head isn't that great...it certainly isn't "magical". You said this after the OP had written their first post and shared multiple pics of of BHI. He/she is clearly very fond of the place and took a fair amount of time to share something he/she enjoyed, and thought others might benefit from the info.

It is certainly fine that you have a different opinion, but your response came across as completely dismissive of the OP's point of view. Had you said, "I am glad you like BHI, but I have never quite seen the magical qualities you describe myself because....." then I don't think the OP would have reacted in the manner he/she did. You basically just sucked the wind out of all of their enthusiasm for the place. Not cool, especially since there is no right or wrong answer here.

Your second response above, "I'm simply discerning enough, and well traveled enough, to know BHI is just ok" rings the bell for being inappropriate on several levels. First it's arrogant---maybe you are worldly and have great taste, but you don't need to boast about it. Bragging is incredibly ugly. Second, the implication of your statement is clear---you have good taste and the OP does not. Again, not cool.

Words matter, and if you want to share your opinions I hope you will do so in a less condescending manner in the future.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM

433 posts, read 287,073 times
My family and I love BHI. We used to go to Captiva Island Florida and stay at South Seas Plantation until it got too expensive and Hurricane Charlie took out many dwellings and the foliage.

We have three boys, now in their early teens. It is a magical place, to us anyway. We have been there about 8 or 9 times. Once you get on the ferry, all stress seems to fade away. The island has such a good vibe for all of us. We like nature and are not the type of people who need action or activities as we get enough of that at home in Pittsburgh. There is something about being there that is very difficult to describe but it's wonderful.

As far as being expensive, it is difficult for us to afford it. A couple of years we couldn't come down as we just didn't have the money. It's disheartening just thinking about it but we may not be able to come down this year. I don't get the feeling, as someone else pointed out, that it's swanky, however. I'd say it's rather tranquil, relaxing and safe. Also, is BHI really anymore expensive that the outer banks or similar?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:40 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
My family and I love BHI. We used to go to Captiva Island Florida and stay at South Seas Plantation until it got too expensive and Hurricane Charlie took out many dwellings and the foliage.

We have three boys, now in their early teens. It is a magical place, to us anyway. We have been there about 8 or 9 times. Once you get on the ferry, all stress seems to fade away. The island has such a good vibe for all of us. We like nature and are not the type of people who need action or activities as we get enough of that at home in Pittsburgh. There is something about being there that is very difficult to describe but it's wonderful.

As far as being expensive, it is difficult for us to afford it. A couple of years we couldn't come down as we just didn't have the money. It's disheartening just thinking about it but we may not be able to come down this year. I don't get the feeling, as someone else pointed out, that it's swanky, however. I'd say it's rather tranquil, relaxing and safe. Also, is BHI really anymore expensive that the outer banks or similar?
I just did a quick search on VRBO for a 3 br house rental for the week of July 7-14. On BHI, the prices range from about $300 to $700 per night. On nearby Oak Island, its $150 to $400 per night or the same size house at the same time. Plus the aggravation and expense of taking the (passenger only) ferry.

!67 of the houses on BHI are valued at $1 million or more, and the most expensive house in NC currently for sale is on the island.

Then there's this:

Woman settles case accusing Bald Head Island cop with assault | Charlotte Observer

and this:

UPDATE: Another BHI officer speaks out about department upheaval - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
I don't think any reasonable person would ever consider Oak Island on the same level as Bald Head Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina