Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 PM

638 posts, read 2,235,735 times

Advertisements

I took this picture when visiting my family in Wilmington. What type of trees are these? Are they trimmed to look like this or do they naturally lose branches as they grow? They look like a cross between palm trees and pines. My Dad said they are called Southern Pines. Anyone know? In any case, I love them and think they are beautiful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-img-0274.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,237,443 times
Nice photo. I think those are mostly loblolly pines (Pinus taeda), but it's hard to tell the variety from your photo. Looks like there might be a longleaf (Pinus palustris) right in the sun. Might be in an area where the timber had been thinned and if so there would have been other trees up close to them before the thinning and that shaded understory would have encouraged the pines to grow up tall to the sun and the loss of lower limbs. Lots of varieties of pines grow that way, though. There's not a species of pine called Southern Pine, but timber from a variety of pines is called Southern Pine lumber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_taeda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pinus_species

Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 PM

638 posts, read 2,235,735 times
That answered my question poppydog. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 AM

8,325 posts, read 4,303,904 times
Southern pine.

The mid Atlantic is the 'great pine forest'.

During the days of wooden ship building, hulls were sealed with pine tar. Great piles of pine trees were slowly fired and as the pine sap ran out, it was collected. Thus, the 'Tar Heel' state.

Now days they are still abundant. Tough they look like big dandelions, they are top heavy and tend to snap in high winds and particularly ice storms. In the spring the help produce a yellowish pine pollen that gets into and covers every thing for a month or more.

I do not particularly care for them and if I were buying property, I would be looking for hardwoods, not pine trees.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,312,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Southern pine.

The mid Atlantic is the 'great pine forest'.

During the days of wooden ship building, hulls were sealed with pine tar. Great piles of pine trees were slowly fired and as the pine sap ran out, it was collected. Thus, the 'Tar Heel' state.

Now days they are still abundant. Tough they look like big dandelions, they are top heavy and tend to snap in high winds and particularly ice storms. In the spring the help produce a yellowish pine pollen that gets into and covers every thing for a month or more.

I do not particularly care for them and if I were buying property, I would be looking for hardwoods, not pine trees.
There's no such tree as a "southern pine". The tree to which you are referring is the Longleaf Pine. It used to cover an area of millions of acres from Texas to Virginia, but now only 3% of it exists. Brunswick County has some large stands of Longleaf Pine forest.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There's no such tree as a "southern pine". The tree to which you are referring is the Longleaf Pine. It used to cover an area of millions of acres from Texas to Virginia, but now only 3% of it exists. Brunswick County has some large stands of Longleaf Pine forest.
As you wish. But VA to TX pretty much covers the south. :-)

Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
As you wish. But VA to TX pretty much covers the south. :-)
Has nothing to do with my "wishes". Plants have names. If you want to call them something different, then feel free. just expect to be corrected, or to be misunderstood.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,237,443 times
Yep, no such critter as "Southern Pine". The state toast of North Carolina starts out, "Here's to the land of the Long Leaf Pine..." and I do see one of those in the sun in that photo, but the others are too far away for me to ID properly. The most common pine tree in NC is the Loblolly Pine, so could be some of those, too. Unless the land is managed forest and the trees are being farmed, and often even then, it would typically have mixed species.

NC State has a nice tree ID online here: https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/plant...l#.WQIEA1PytE4

I also really like Will Cook's site on plants of NC here: Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of North Carolina I used it a lot when I ran the Envirothon club at my kid's school.

Garden and Gun has a really nice article on the restoration of the Longleaf Pine ecosystem by individual land owners in the South. Lots of pictures: http://gardenandgun.com/feature/the-longleaf-pine/

Longleafs are really easy to ID in person. The needles are about 12-18 inches long and the pinecones are about the size of a football. Had one in my backyard growing up.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-27-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 PM

I understand about being specific but only those that make a living in a specific field use the scientific name for items on a regular basis. When was the last time you went to get your follicles cut and so on? Or maybe, that Pinus taeda needs to come down.

Everyday language is full of inaccuracy.

Check out this web site:

Home - Southern Pine

As far as I am concerned, its just a frickin pine tree.

Peace

Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I understand about being specific but only those that make a living in a specific field use the scientific name for items on a regular basis. When was the last time you went to get your follicles cut and so on? Or maybe, that Pinus taeda needs to come down.

Everyday language is full of inaccuracy.

Check out this web site:

Home - Southern Pine

As far as I am concerned, its just a frickin pine tree.

Peace
LOL, Longleaf Pine isn't the scientific name! I hope you didn't hire a landscaper for your yard, lol. I'd hate to see what he would install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina