U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Hello all, let me start off by saying yes, I have used the search tool bar and have read some very useful information. However, I still have a few more questions We are relocating to the area, and trying to decide which town we would prefer to live in. I believe I have narrowed it down to Sneads Ferry, Beaufort, and Newport areas. I would love some opinions from those who live in these areas.

We are looking for low crime (we currently live in a town with 0 crime), good schools at (we have three young children), a community feeling, and on the coast. Jobs are not a concern, and we are looking to spend under $350k. I don't have trouble finding a home, I guess I'm looking more for some behind the scenes info that one can only have from living in a particular area.

I'd like an area that somewhat quaint, and is visually appealing (people that take pride in ownership of their homes/businesses appearance). We are prior military, so noise from a base is fine for us. We will be visiting soon for a first hand feel, but the more I can narrow it down, the easier it will be.

I don't think I did a very good job at describing what I'm looking for, so hopefully you can get a sense of what I mean. Also, if you have ever been to Bar Harbor Maine, that's exactly what I'm looking for...just warmer

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Cari0413; 05-12-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
I think Beaufort is what you're looking for. Schools and crime info are easily researched online. Newport and Sneads Ferry aren't very quaint, for the most part, and Beaufort is all about quaint. Its also the most expensive of the 3, housing wise.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
A number of people where I used to work live in Newport. They all love if. To me it is located conveniently, but not a lot of, oh, "charm." Some areas of Beaufort are very nice, but expensive. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,742,092 times
Personally I wouldn't live real close to the coast due to Hurricanes and the high cost of insurance. As LLN says Newport is a very small but nice town. I know many people from work who live there and they all love it.

Sneads Ferry is nice but is rapidly growing due to its proximity to Jacksonville and the base but is trying to maintain the quaint coastal town image.

I am not a fan of Beaufort due to it being very touristy, especially at the waterfront, and not much else.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,159 times
Thanks all for the info, we are headed down in a few weeks

Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
Disclaimer: I have been a licensed real estate broker since February, 2005.
The difference between Sneads Ferry, Beaufort, and Newport is like the difference between night, day and a black hole that sucks both into it. For example, home price differences between Newport and Beaufort are about double. The character and "feel" of all three are completely different.
I have lived on the coast of North Carolina for almost 35 years. It is impossible to make a blanket statement about storms such as a hurricane. Your potential for damage to your home due to a storm depends on many factors such as the flood zone designation you are in. That can change from lot to lot. Example-I can throw a baseball from my yard to the North, South, East and West. The ball will fall in a different flood zone designation each time it lands. It also depends on your elevation. And still one more factor I'll mention is the direction of the storm. In some locations a storm bringing southerly winds will flood the home while a stronger storm with northerly winds will blow the water away.
There are many factors that can determine the probability of a flood event, all of which are easily found through a variety of resources online.
But when it comes to storms, I'll leave you with this. In 1989 Hurricane Hugo severely impacted Charlotte, NC, some 300 miles inland. In 1996 Hurricane Fran severely impacted Raleigh, NC, some 175 miles inland. In 2004, on 2 separate occasions, the remnants of two storms dumped almost 2 feet of water on the mountains of NC (some 300 miles plus from the coast) causing mudslides. Choose a qualified and experience real estate broker to represent you. They will know what to look for when helping you buy your new home.
God Bless!

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 06-02-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think Beaufort is what you're looking for. Schools and crime info are easily researched online. Newport and Sneads Ferry aren't very quaint, for the most part, and Beaufort is all about quaint. Its also the most expensive of the 3, housing wise.
Agreed, with the note that Newport has the best-rated schools. Beaufort is the most visually appealing, and the most expensive. Sneads Ferry has very little charm left after all the growth, but you can find a nice, large new house for under $350K.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed, with the note that Newport has the best-rated schools. Beaufort is the most visually appealing, and the most expensive. Sneads Ferry has very little charm left after all the growth, but you can find a nice, large new house for under $350K.
Welcome back!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
If I had a choice between the 3 of where to live, it would easily be Beaufort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina