U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:10 PM

94 posts, read 288,932 times

Advertisements

Just wondering which you would recommend and why. Also, I have gotten a couple of names of hotels people like...any more? How about Inns or Bed and Breakfasts that are family friendly. 2 Adults, 2 Kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,992,441 times
The OP is looking for areas to vacation that are in close proximity to the Triangle area. And is interested in the above areas she posted. And wondering what most people in the Triangle prefer and any other info you would like to share.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-09-2008 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: helping the OP :)

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,121,470 times
Between the two, my preference is Wrightsville. Howver, that's for day trips only for us...they're too crowded for vacation. From Raleigh, it will take you 2 hours to get to Wrightsville, 2.5 hours to Carolina, and only 3 hours to Nags Head on the Outer Banks. In that case, the extra time in the car is well worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM

934 posts, read 989,749 times
I prefer Carolina- quiet, next to Atlantic Beach. The aquarium is right there too. Good area for quiet family vacations or day trips.

We stay at Atlantis Lodge. GREAT place! Can't say enough about it!. It has an Atlantic Beach address, but is about a mile from Carolina Beach ( all the towns run together, so theres not really much difference right along that strip of beach)

Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,275,411 times
I like Atlantic Beach, but when most folks say Carolina Beach I think they mean the one that is just south of Wilmington. The beaches on the island with Atlantic Beach are (in this order): Fort Macon - Atlantic Beach - Pine Knoll Shores - Salter Path - Indian Beach - Emerald Isle. The Atlantis is definitely at Atlantic Beach, and the aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores is the best. I've never heard of a Carolina Beach on that island, though there are certainly duplicate names around here.

I just went to Wrightsville for the first time this weekend (my family couldn't believe it was my first trip as I'm an NC native and I've been to most of the beaches). Wrightsville is much more residential than Carolina Beaach. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree and it has some great kids activities (especially if your kids are over 4) but there wasn't a lot more around. Carolina Beach has a little seedier feel, but in a fun way. There is a boardwalk and a great donut place, plus you are a lot closer to the aquarium at Fort Fisher. Next time I think my kids will have more fun if we go back to Carolina.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM

934 posts, read 989,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I like Atlantic Beach, but when most folks say Carolina Beach I think they mean the one that is just south of Wilmington. The beaches on the island with Atlantic Beach are (in this order): Fort Macon - Atlantic Beach - Pine Knoll Shores - Salter Path - Indian Beach - Emerald Isle. The Atlantis is definitely at Atlantic Beach, and the aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores is the best. I've never heard of a Carolina Beach on that island, though there are certainly duplicate names around here.
Right you are! I think I hadn't quite had enough coffee yet!

Sorry if I confused you OP!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,440,041 times
Wrightsville. Hands down. If you are looking to spend some time on the beach, head to Fort Fisher. Its about 20 minutes from wrightsville, just follow the signs to the aqurium. Right before the aqurium, there is a parking lot on the left for public beach access. Clean restrooms, a place to change, refreshment stands, grills, picnic area, etc. I love it because its better than parking on some side street where you have to pay $10 a day to park only to have to walk a mile to find a restroom (most dining places only allow restroom access to paying customers.) Oh, its also FREE to park there too! You can also access the aquarium too so its like an added bonus.

Myrtle Beach is a straight shot away from Wrightsville, about a 45 minute drive if I remember correctly. (Its been awhile!)

Have fun!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 69,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Wrightsville. Hands down. If you are looking to spend some time on the beach, head to Fort Fisher. Its about 20 minutes from wrightsville, just follow the signs to the aqurium. Right before the aqurium, there is a parking lot on the left for public beach access. Clean restrooms, a place to change, refreshment stands, grills, picnic area, etc. I love it because its better than parking on some side street where you have to pay $10 a day to park only to have to walk a mile to find a restroom (most dining places only allow restroom access to paying customers.) Oh, its also FREE to park there too! You can also access the aquarium too so its like an added bonus.

Myrtle Beach is a straight shot away from Wrightsville, about a 45 minute drive if I remember correctly. (Its been awhile!)

Have fun!
Consider Myrtle Beach for a vacation as well. It's only 3 hours and LOTS to do. The new Hard Rock theme park will be opening soon as well. Lakewood Camping Resort has villas that they rent weekly and you will then have access to the beach, an outdoor pool, an indoor pool, activities for kids, mini golf, paddle boats, etc. right in the campground. You can also rent a golf cart and ride around the campground. There are ponds to fish in and you can feed the ducks as well. My parents live in Myrtle Beach and that's my main reason for considering the relocation from MA to the Raleigh area so that I can be closer to where I'm from. Tough not having family around for the last 7 years! The snow has been pretty tough for a southern girl like myself as well. Wow, I might could go back to driving a car instead of a huge Tahoe!
Myrtle Beach is great fun IMO!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:16 PM

9,568 posts, read 27,038,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
Just wondering which you would recommend and why. Also, I have gotten a couple of names of hotels people like...any more? How about Inns or Bed and Breakfasts that are family friendly. 2 Adults, 2 Kids.
I like Wrightsville Beach.

Here are a few pictures from our trip to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach in April 2006. I highly recommend making the trip!

Wrightsville Beach

B&B We stayed at in Downtown Wilmington (It was up for sale back then .... only asking 1 Million!)

Nearby House in Downtown

Part of The River Walk Along the Cape Fear River in Downtown Wilmington

Restaurants Along River Walk

Horses with Bunny Ears (It was Easter Time)

[/quote]

Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM

94 posts, read 288,932 times
Autumngirl...thanks for clarifyng . mdp_az Hubby is all for your Nags Head suggestion. Would teens find things to enjoy there? Surf included...(are there rental places for surfboards, kayaks etc.?)Mommiewrites. Thanks for the suggestion of Atlantas Lodge in Atlantic Beach. We may very well land up there. It sounds great. J_Lurk, Carolina a "seedier beach but in a fun way", sounds right up our alley! Ferrickhead28 WOW! All the tips will come in Very Handy. Priceless...Thank You! Good to know that most resturants reserve the use of bathrooms for patrons only. Tracie...thanks for the intro. to Myrtle Beach! Sounds like the kind of place I'd like to land for a while and stay Put! I'll look into that too. Hope you make it there soon ! Last but by no means least NRG, Thanks for your Fantastic photo's...oooh I'm ready to be there NOW! We are going for 3 nights over spring break. By the sounds of things, Wrightsville beach and Wilmington may be hectic as NC students have spring break too at that time. Am I right to assume this? Thanks for all of your suggestions and help! Any resturant suggestions?

Also we will be in Raleigh for 4 nights. Hubby and my son will be taking in the Hurricanes game. Do you have any other suggestions for things to do or see in the Triangle area. I'm looking forward to checking out the art walk for 1st Friday. Any tips on how to go about it? Thanks Much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina