U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 12,228 times

Advertisements

Which beach/town seems to be the most resistant to erosion/rising sea levels? Where would you feel safest/most comfortable investing in oceanfront property (w/r/t environmental/weather issues)? Any tips or tricks regarding purchase? (For example, I saw someone on this board say they bought in the second row which had the structure, but also owned the corresponding oceanfront lot. That is a clever but pricey solution. Any other similar ideas?). Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 11:35 AM

10,678 posts, read 11,303,639 times
Take a look at satellite imagery on Google Earth and pick the beach with the most dunes for your best investment for oceanfront property, but you can have a long walk to the beach that way, so might not be what you're after. It would be safer, though, w/ respect to storm surges and eroding beach.

All of NC is subject to hurricanes w/ about equal risk. You can see where hurricanes have hit here:
http://assets.climatecentral.org/ima...0_s_c1_c_c.jpg

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images..._1950-2011.png

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/strikes_us.jpg

South Carolina or Georgia is a little less likely to be hit by a hurricane, but it only takes one.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:49 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,331,984 times
There is quite a bit of information out there about beach erosion/accretion for NC.
This is one we found when looking for property

State of the Beach/State Reports/NC/Beach Erosion - Beachapedia

Sunset Beach was one of the few beaches that have accreted over the past 50 years.

Interesting, the Hatteras Lighthouse was 1500 feet from the shore in 1870, by 1970 it was 120 feet from shore.
It was moved back 1500 feet in 1999.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM

4,957 posts, read 2,199,286 times
All of the NC barrier islands are fragile and prone to erosion and shifting over time. You can look at coastal charts made 100 years ago and compare them to current charts and the changes are dramatic. Inlets close up and new ones are formed. Sand comes and goes. Granted, this occurs over years. Sometimes hundreds of years. The ocean is the ocean. You can not tame it. It does what it does. Oak island, which now has thousands of homes and businesses, was just a bump on the ocean floor during hurricane Hazel in 1954. Water completely covered it. Newbern, which is about 55 miles from the Ocean had severe flooding during Floyd. Actually, almost everything east of I-95 flooded during Floyd.

No were is 100% safe.

Many beach communities pay millions to replenish sand on the beaches on a regular basis. The beach is their lively hood so they do it.

I would look for an area with a wide beach and high dunes. Then build on pilings, don't keep anything at sea level you do not want flooded, add good quality storm shutters and buy flood, wind insurance. With a little luck you wont have to worry about it in your life time.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
Wrightsville Beach (between the bridges) is probably the safest place, because apparently the Army Corps is responsible for beach renourishment every year or so per some law passed in the 50's.

It is probably also the most expensive.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Wrightsville Beach (between the bridges) is probably the safest place, because apparently the Army Corps is responsible for beach renourishment every year or so per some law passed in the 50's.

It is probably also the most expensive.
Thats not really correct. There has been an agreement in place whereby the Corps pays for part of the cost of beach renourishment (its done about every 4 years or so) and the state and New Hanover County pay part of the cost. The agreement includes Carolina and Kure Beaches as well. I would assume other counties have similar agreements. New Hanover County had the foresight to allocate a portion of its Room Occupancy Tax to beach renourishment many years ago. The Corps is currently reviewing whether to continue their participation in the program.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Wilson!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Thank you for your responses!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 PM

70 posts, read 105,904 times
Sunset Beach is your best bet in terms of beach erosion.

I owned oceanfront in Topsail for many years. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought on the sound/intracoastal side, enjoyed the great water views there, and walked/biked to the beach. Oceanfront owners in much of NC get socked with the majority of beach nourishment costs. Insurance is sky high. I could go on but I don't want to put a damper on your plans - just be sure you know what the possible costs will be, buy in a non-CBRA zone so you are eligible for federal flood insurance, and look for high dunes to protect your property!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM

jflanagan, thanks very much for your reply - I really appreciate hearing from someone with real-life ownership experience! I have often wondered if that saying about boat owners (something along the lines of the two happiest days in a boat owners life is the day he/she purchases the boat, and the day he/she sells) is the same for oceanfront property owners. Hah! We are at least several years out from thinking more seriously about this undertaking, but it is great to hear more about the negatives (and positives) in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina