Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
I would think based on what you are looking for that EI or Topsail would work well for you. Oh, and no rocks that I've ever seen on the beach, just soft fine sand!
There are lots of rocks on the beach at Surf City and there were at Topsail too the last time we took our dog down. We just went to Surf City over Spring Break. But these are small rounded ocean rocks and very nice. We picked up a bunch. I haven't seen them on other beaches we go to so they're a novelty for us. Also a great place to find shark teeth.

Lots of little smooth rocks like in this photo: https://img0.etsystatic.com/169/1/82...00696_8fu1.jpg

This article is about ugly big rough rocks pumped onto North Topsail a couple of years: https://www.coastalreview.org/2015/0...-on-the-beach/ . We didn't see anything like that at Surf City or Topsail Beach, just lots and lots of the nice smooth little ocean stones.

We did see those big ouchy ugly rocks on Carolina Beach about 13 yrs ago and although I'm sure the beach is much nicer now, we haven't been back since.

Last edited by poppydog; 06-15-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Apparently the Oak Island rocks are limited to about a 1 mile stretch, (of course, where we have always gone, even when we lived there)

Oak Island working on plan to rid beach of rocks - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM

261 posts, read 307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are lots of rocks on the beach at Surf City and there were at Topsail too the last time we took our dog down. We just went to Surf City over Spring Break. But these are small rounded ocean rocks and very nice. We picked up a bunch. I haven't seen them on other beaches we go to so they're a novelty for us. Also a great place to find shark teeth.

Lots of little smooth rocks like in this photo: https://img0.etsystatic.com/169/1/82...00696_8fu1.jpg

This article is about ugly big rough rocks pumped onto North Topsail a couple of years: https://www.coastalreview.org/2015/0...-on-the-beach/ . We didn't see anything like that at Surf City or Topsail Beach, just lots and lots of the nice smooth little ocean stones.

We did see those big ouchy ugly rocks on Carolina Beach about 13 yrs ago and although I'm sure the beach is much nicer now, we haven't been back since.
Hmm, wasn't aware of the issue up in North Topsail, but then, I have only ever been on the beach up there one time and that was way up at the north end.

As far as Topsail Beach goes, and mainly where our access is, I can say, there are no "rocks". To me rocks are golf ball and larger, anything smaller is a pebble. There are barely even any shells on our stretch of beach, 99% are fragments, and if there are pebbles/rocks, they are also extremely small and go unnoticed.

Best thing the OP can do is get out there and visit as many places as possible, experience each for themselves. Anything said or reported about any beach is merely a temporary snapshot anyway, only takes one storm to change everything.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,047 times
Thank you everyone! When we went to Oak Island the beach looked like the article that was posted with all the rocks. I guess we picked the wrong stretch of beach to visit.

We went to Atlantic Beach yesterday and liked it a lot. We've seen some affordable places there and in Emerald Isle. My husband is an avid cyclist so we're also trying to keep in mind possible places for him to bike.

We'll visit Topsail and Surf City in a couple of weeks and see what we think of that area. It does look like our best bet is going to be Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach or Topsail/Surf City in terms of price and nice beaches.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,628,401 times
https://www.bing.com/search?q=For+re...22&FORM=SNAPST

For some reason you sound like a person who would enjoy Beaufort, NC.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
https://www.bing.com/search?q=For+re...22&FORM=SNAPST

For some reason you sound like a person who would enjoy Beaufort, NC.
Which unfortunately doesn't have a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina