U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 5,156 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate next year (around this time) he is from northwest Indiana (outside Chicago) and I am from Long Island. We don't want to be off the grid but we want to be somewhere affordable with good schools and low crime (obviously) we want to be close to the beach (no longer than 20-30 minutes) and we are interested in the Wilmington area. A good family neighborhood but also near attractions and things to do with a good social scene for thirty somethings. We visited Myrtle Beach and loved it but are unsure of the crime as I have heard mixed things about it. Can anyone give us some towns or neighborhoods to look into? We want a four bedroom at most in the low 200s. Also are there any areas where most transplants go?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
In Wilmington, the area roughly south of Oleander Drive, East of S. College Road and north of Piner Road is nice, safe and generally is zoned to good schools. Probably won't find a lot in there in your budget, but you may find something. Outside of Wilmington, Hampstead is very popular, as is Leland.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 5,156 times
Thank you!

Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 PM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
Be aware that some native born North Carolinians don't care for "Yankees" especially in the smaller towns.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 489 times
Beware of native NCarolinians. They HATE Yankees and you are both. Lots of discrimination going on to this day. The elite are the worst. As for the area?? Stay away from military towns. Lots of crime. As for entertainment, good luck. Shopping is a joke. The whole state is 20 years behind the times. If you expect decent pay, it isn't here. If you are licensed in any field, do your homework. NC has different licensing standards. I almost guarantee that your licenses won't be acceptable there. I will NEVER, ever move back. I was originally from NJ with a professional Laboratory license. Ended up just being a phlebotomist making minimum wages. Went from $28/hr to $4.23/hr. This was 30 yrs ago but it's still pitiful there. I called it Pergatory.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLCowgirl View Post
Beware of native NCarolinians. They HATE Yankees and you are both. Lots of discrimination going on to this day. The elite are the worst. As for the area?? Stay away from military towns. Lots of crime. As for entertainment, good luck. Shopping is a joke. The whole state is 20 years behind the times. If you expect decent pay, it isn't here. If you are licensed in any field, do your homework. NC has different licensing standards. I almost guarantee that your licenses won't be acceptable there. I will NEVER, ever move back. I was originally from NJ with a professional Laboratory license. Ended up just being a phlebotomist making minimum wages. Went from $28/hr to $4.23/hr. This was 30 yrs ago but it's still pitiful there. I called it Pergatory.
You don't need to hold back, tell us how you really feel!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 17,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You don't need to hold back, tell us how you really feel!
Agree, someone sounds very angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or