U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM

33 posts, read 29,875 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

Elizabeth City looks like an interesting place to live. Can anyone tell me how safe the area is and a general feel it has? Is it laid back? Are the people there open to new residents?

It is affordable but I am concerned about safety. Any information you have is appreciated.

Thank you!
~C

Last edited by C-Krebs; 06-23-2017 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: needing email notification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Krebs View Post
Are the people there open to new residents?

It is affordable but I am concerned about safety.
City-data has general profiles on each city. Elizabeth City has a somewhat higher crime rate than the national average, with an index of 351.6 versus 290. See here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Elizab...-Carolina.html

Elizabeth City has a Coast Guard base with a considerable number of new residents moving in annually, plus a University, so I would consider it "open to new people".

Also, you can search for other threads, such as this one asking similar questions. The recommendations include looking at nearby areas like Camden and Edenton: Working in Elizabeth City - where to live?

Since you also asked about Wilmington, it also has a higher than the national average crime index at about 434. However, I would have no fear of shopping or living in most parts of Wilmington. The crime numbers are somewhat skewed by tourism and vacation-related arrests for DUI, vandalism, etc. The huge majority of neighborhoods are safe, as long as you use common sense.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:45 AM

Thank you!

I will be using these tools to help me make an informed decision.

NC is such a diversified state, between the mountains and the beach and the colleges, I am sure I can find my new home in the perfect little city.

Your suggestions will help me lots.

Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Krebs View Post
I will be using these tools to help me make an informed decision.
I also suggest using Google Maps with the street view to tell whether a neighborhood looks well-kept or run-down.

Unfortunately, I have limited experience with Elizabeth City. We only drove through on the way to the Outer Banks. I wasn't impressed as the highway view was just congested and run-down. However, if you got off the highway into some of the older neighborhoods, I believe you can find some charm. For example, look for the "bed and breakfasts" and the reviews: Foreman House, Grice-Fearing House, Elizabeth City B&B and Culpeper Inn.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-24-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Thank you so much for the tip. Yeah, not sure if Elizabeth City is a place I will be looking. I'm going to check out the maps now.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 148 times
If you’re looking for safety don’t move to Elizabeth City!! It’s known for drug addicted homeless people and drug rehab facilities. All you need to do is drive through the city to see how bad it is. The median income is another giveaway. It’s around $30,000 a year. Look into towns like Cary, Apex or Morrisville if you want to feel safe.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM

3,800 posts, read 9,725,443 times
My husband and I visited Elizabeth City when we began our search for a coastal town for retirement about 3 years ago. We had been living in the Raleigh area for about 10 years (originally from New England) but longed to be closer to the beach. Overall, we found it depressing with several buildings boarded up downtown (although there was some evidence of attempts at revitalization). The “waterfront” is more of a muddy sound as opposed to ocean or sound. It was definitely not appealing to us. We continued our search and ultimately ended up in Southport. We are very happy with our decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or