U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 25,819 times

Advertisements

I was offered a position in Greenville, NC. I have been doing a lot of research on the area with a lot of mixed feedback. I have analyzed test scores, facebook reviews, and other various school review websites. Most of the data I find is 5+ years old. I know a lot could change since then.

I see Winterville, NC as the most often recommended place for safety and good schools. Thus I have researched the schools in Winterville and find that most of them don't seem very good. Are there any schools other than Hope Middle/DH Conley High district that anyone would recommend?

My oldest is rather shy and quiet so he will have the most difficulty adjusting. He is very interested in gaming and coding. Would love to find a middle school that had a program/club for this.

My two younger children are social bumble bees. They both are highly energetic and athletic. I worry less about them adjusting.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
I think the ratings are about right on in the Greenville area. I would not discount the schools in the City, like Aycock middle or Elmhurst Elementary just because you are looking at the highest rated. To me, the Greenville area is really about deciding where you want to live, what side of town depending on where you are working. There are no interstates to get around so the traffic can be a headache getting across town.

Winterville crime rates are really good because it is a small town that was essentially built in the past 20 years with no public housing. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in Greenville that are safe as well, but Greenville has some areas, neighborhoods that aren't as safe, so the whole city doesn't score as high as Winterville.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM

223 posts, read 203,901 times
Winterville does have the better schools and yes the Wintergreen-Hope-Conley pipeline is the best K-12 line in Pitt County. I know Wintergreen is good and Hope is one of the top schools overall in the state, and Conley is pretty good.

To me though school is whatever you make it out to be. You can make friends, test good, and find interesting activities at any school it just you make sure you supplement them at home as well. I would take all that you researched with a grain of salt. Best way to do it is to check the schools in wherever you are going to live.

And as far as the area goes don't worry. Greenville is a great place to live. It's continuously growing but still has a small town feel. Has good amenities, but a lot of local owned businesses. Cost of Living here is really good and nothing is too expensive out here. I wouldn't worry you coming to a good city.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the responses. My husband works from home and I will be primarily working from home, so commuting isn't really an issue. We want to be close to shopping, restaurants, etc. Doesn't have to be near uptown as we wouldn't go there very often. Mainly just a family friendly neighborhood (under 300k for a house) with safe schools. Prefer a neighborhood that has medium sized yards as I don't want to be able to reach out and touch my next neighbor's house. I know a lot of the newer developments only seem to have 6-10 ft between the houses.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM

223 posts, read 203,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1030 View Post
Thanks for the responses. My husband works from home and I will be primarily working from home, so commuting isn't really an issue. We want to be close to shopping, restaurants, etc. Doesn't have to be near uptown as we wouldn't go there very often. Mainly just a family friendly neighborhood (under 300k for a house) with safe schools. Prefer a neighborhood that has medium sized yards as I don't want to be able to reach out and touch my next neighbor's house. I know a lot of the newer developments only seem to have 6-10 ft between the houses.
I would look at some of the subdivision out on Corey Rd. and County Home Rd. Those tend to have a bit more space between them. There is one on Essex Dr. that has some good space.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely look for some neighborhoods in that area.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,039,585 times
The Eastern Pines area is the most family friendly IMHO. Crime is super low, the lots are big and Chicod schools are the best in the county.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM

378 posts, read 252,703 times
It's nice, but needs more room for people with disabilities like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina