U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,602,882 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, Folks. I'm a 60-yr-old single (never married) lady who has lived in SE PA all my life and will probably be substitute teaching for another year before throwing in the towel and, Lord willing, moving on.
I do struggle to get by with the cost of living up here, and my SS will probably be on the low side as I've juggled two and three part-time jobs for the last 12 years.

I was wondering if there is affordable, single housing (under 200K) in a safe area, perhaps 20 miles from the beach. I will always want a single home since I will have dogs until they drag me out feet-first and I'm not into the whole retirement "community" scene. I do hope to keep working part-time while collecting SS - perhaps in a non-profit, youth-at-risk genre as I have some experience with that population. I'm also a p/t pet sitter here which I love.

Things which are important to me: a first-class medical facility I can drive to (cause ya never know); excellent veterinary care, basic shopping within a 10-mile drive, good infrastructure (roads, traffic control, etc.,), farmers markets, fresh seafood, seasonal festivals, least amount of humidity possible (which is probably IMpossible, but just thought I'd ask).

I doubt if I'd have any trouble finding a good church down there, as I see that you have quite a few Calvary Chapels which I've been attending up here for 15 years

I'm also considering DE and MD, but I understand that NC is quite beautiful and, though it's far from "home," I would like to consider it. THANKS for your time and attention, Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 02:07 PM

Not a very popular topic, huh?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 PM

10,817 posts, read 15,122,738 times
You may want to narrow down the areas and more specifics that you are interested in to get some replies.

What do you consider semi-coastal pls ? NC has a huge coastline, beaches everywhere. 20 miles from where? and what type of housing would you want for approx. $200K?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You may want to narrow down the areas and more specifics that you are interested in to get some replies.

What do you consider semi-coastal pls ? NC has a huge coastline, beaches everywhere. 20 miles from where? and what type of housing would you want for approx. $200K?
Thanks, QuliterChick. Much appreciated. I guess I don't know the area well enough to name places, but far North in the state, I would imagine, and 20 miles inland from the Coast. As far as housing, I surely don't expect much for 200K: a ' small home 1,000 - 1,300 square feet would be fine, with a bit a yard for the dogs and which allows fencing. Certainly nothing fancy. I'm accustomed to very simple housing as long as there's a good central AC system in place. I'll begin studying the map and checking things out on Zillow.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,534,865 times
I can tell you that my brother bought a place in Calabash for $200,000.....2,000 sq ft. Ranch with 3 additional building lots. I haven't been there yet, but looks pretty good in the pictures he sends.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM

379 posts, read 483,156 times
Wilmington, NC. 20 miles from the coast but practically on the coast. Leland or Burgaw

Old 06-29-2017, 05:54 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
New Bern is a bit further from the coast, but easy drive. Everything else is what you are looking for.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM

171 posts, read 107,539 times
Burgaw is pretty far out from the beach. Not within 20 miles like you asked. Wilmington housing is more expensive as is real estate taxes. Look further down south from Wilmington closer to the NC/SC line. Calabash, Shallotte are more affordable. I am not sure though about how much shopping you need that is that close by to those places. Lot's of towns all up and down the NC coast to take into consideration.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:53 PM

18 posts, read 17,328 times
I retired 4 years ago, and my wife and I decided we wanted to move near a beach somewhere in NC, after we fell in love with the outer banks. The outer banks is a great place to visit, but it wasn't someplace where we wanted to live full time. We found that it's just too touristy 9 months out of the year, and it's somewhat expensive to buy a home on one of the islands.

So we began looking at all of the coastal areas of NC and SC, ultimately focusing on the southeast corner of NC. We spent about a year researching and made 4 trips down to the area in and around Wilmington. On our first trip, we started looking at Myrtle Beach. We stayed one night there. We cut our trip short it was so bad. There isn't enough money to get me to live there full time, it's a zoo.

On our way back from Myrtle, we detoured into Wilmington for a day, and began looking at that area. We looked at Top Sail/Pender county, and north of Wilmington out towards Castle Hayne. We thought the area was OK, but it wasn't exactly what we were looking to find. It was more younger family oriented, than for retirees, and we were looking for a place that was more oriented towards retirees.

On our last two trips, we turned our focus south of Wilmington, and found we really like that area the best, especially as we got closer to the NC/SC border (Holden Beach/Sunset Beach/Calabash/Ocean Island Beach) area. It's rural enough to not be plagued with the common tourist issues, and the average resident age is about 60. We bought property there, and a house, and will be moving permanently to Sunset Beach soon.

There are areas south of Wilmington that should meet your criteria. If being close to medical care is a top priority, I would suggest looking at the area of Supply and Shallotte. There is a new hospital facility there in Supply, and shopping is found in Shallotte. There is available new construction, with some single family homes in the high 170's. I am coming out of Virginia, for the most part, the cost of living is less in NC, except for the insurance on coastal properties is more expensive, about double of what I am paying now, for a smaller home in NC.

Good Luck, Jim

Old 07-03-2017, 09:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Boiling Spring Lakes, in Brunswick County, sounds like a good fit for. Or another location in Brunswick County like Leland, Supply, Bolivia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina