U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 9,338 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am a senior at the University of Akron majoring in Financial Planning. I have a minor in Economics, and am scheduled to graduate in May of 2018. I currently work at a grocery store for the past 3 years, as a deli clerk and just was hired by Circle K gas stations. I am in the process of saving money, and researching the area. The plan as of right now would be to work at Circle K for a year, and then transfer to one in the area, and continue that. I may try to get a temporary job at a grocery store. While this income stream is not ideal, it is certainly better than nothing. I have a friend that lives just north of Snows Cut, and West of 421. Im hoping to be able to move in with him temporarily, and then find my own place. I guess my main question is how plentiful is the job market and will I be able to find a job within the finance/banking relm. My ideal job would be a Credit Analyst. I would eventually like to get my MBA, but I want to move right after undergrad. I feel if I don't move, I will get stuck in Ohio. Any information, tips, and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have longed to live at the beach my entire life, and I feel like right after I graduate would be the time. Anyway, this is just an introduction post- I'm sure you'll be seeing more.

Last edited by Zip2theCoast; 07-01-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 AM

6,030 posts, read 3,598,765 times
Not a lot of corporate finance jobs in Wilmington. Research some of the larger corporate employers like PPD, GE, Corning, Live Oak Bank and also look on job sites like Indeed for applicable job listings.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the tips! It seems like Wilmington is becoming a destination for retirees? My degree is actually in Financial Planning, so if I could get on board with an advisory firm- that would also be an option. If I go the advisory route, I want to get my CFP designation.

Last edited by Zip2theCoast; 07-03-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM

Neighborhoods and Areas to avoid/target would also be greatly appreciated. A little about me: I am white, 21, will be 22 in October. I lean rather right politically- however, I get along with pretty much anyone. Am I correct in thinking Wilmington is a pretty conservative area? I enjoy being outside. Fishing, camping, and hunting are my main hobbies. I would love to get into kayak fishing. Hope everyone has a nice fourth! Thanks to the men and women who have served and sacrificed so we may enjoy the freedoms we do!

Last edited by Zip2theCoast; 07-04-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 PM

368 posts, read 465,655 times
More liberal than most NC towns, but pretty much middle of the road. Good place for younger professionals if you can land a position.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 PM

133 posts, read 101,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip2theCoast View Post
Hello all!
I am a senior at the University of Akron majoring in Financial Planning. I have a minor in Economics, and am scheduled to graduate in May of 2018. I currently work at a grocery store for the past 3 years, as a deli clerk and just was hired by Circle K gas stations. I am in the process of saving money, and researching the area. The plan as of right now would be to work at Circle K for a year, and then transfer to one in the area, and continue that. I may try to get a temporary job at a grocery store. While this income stream is not ideal, it is certainly better than nothing. I have a friend that lives just north of Snows Cut, and West of 421. Im hoping to be able to move in with him temporarily, and then find my own place. I guess my main question is how plentiful is the job market and will I be able to find a job within the finance/banking relm. My ideal job would be a Credit Analyst. I would eventually like to get my MBA, but I want to move right after undergrad. I feel if I don't move, I will get stuck in Ohio. Any information, tips, and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have longed to live at the beach my entire life, and I feel like right after I graduate would be the time. Anyway, this is just an introduction post- I'm sure you'll be seeing more.
My recommendation is not to move anywhere until you have a job lined up. At your age, don't set your sights on one place. The whole world is your oyster. Make a list of half a dozen places you'd like to move to and look in all those markets. Wilmington is rarely a market for the jobseeker - it's an employers market - because the inflow of people is greater than the available jobs.

If you're a big coastal guy, don't be afraid to look into Florida. The job market there is a lot more forgiving and there is no income tax. Same goes with Texas. Look everywhere and be open to all opportunities. At your age, if you can find a gig with some travel where you can rack up some frequent flier miles, you can have a whole lot of fun.

I realize that probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's common for people to move down to the Wilmington/Myrtle Beach area before locking up employment, spinning their wheels for awhile and being forced to leave. Definitely try, but nail something down first and be sure to have other options.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 AM

Appreciate it. I've been thinking about VA beach, Savannah, and Corpus Christi as well. I just know no-one there. I guess that is the fun of moving to a new place, however. I also feel overwhelmed at the thought of trying to apply for entry level jobs in another state. If they can hire local applicants, with the same qualifications- why would they bother looking at out of state candidates? I guess that's another thread in itself. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,292,750 times
I remember years ago, prior to moving to Coastal NC, I had looked into getting a job with Edward Jones in Wilmington. I ultimately decided it was too much of a commute (from Jacksonville), but it does look like Edward Jones is still currently hiring.

Since that's your field, perhaps look into getting a job with them next year prior to your move, as opposed to an entry level job?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM

133 posts, read 101,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip2theCoast View Post
Appreciate it. I've been thinking about VA beach, Savannah, and Corpus Christi as well. I just know no-one there. I guess that is the fun of moving to a new place, however. I also feel overwhelmed at the thought of trying to apply for entry level jobs in another state. If they can hire local applicants, with the same qualifications- why would they bother looking at out of state candidates? I guess that's another thread in itself. Thanks for the advice.
I have lived in the Philadelphia area for 13 years and can't take it anymore. I wanted out, and I wanted to move coastal. I considered Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Corpus Christi, Galveston and pretty much all of Florida. My preferences were Wilmington and Charleston due to them having clearer 4 seasons - I still like having a winter, just not a brutally cold one like I have here.

All in all, after 6 months of looking for opportunities in Wilmington, I struck out. I was able to find a big company locally with offices all over the country that allows frequent telecommuting and some travel. Long story short, I'm moving down to NC in October. I'll have to travel into Raleigh probably twice a month to touch base with the local office, and I'll have to travel intermittently to projects (I do that now anyway), but mostly I'll be able to work out of my home. That was the best compromise I could make to live where I wanted to live while getting a (much better) job.

I have a decade of experience, though. When you're just starting out, you have less freedom to pick and choose. I absolutely urge you to check out jobs in other states. You have nothing right now - no house to sell, no spouse to move, no kids to relocate, no furniture to pack - you can get up and go at the drop of a hat. You are now more free than you will ever be in your life, and you will probably never have this level of complete autonomy and ability to be completely selfish again. ABUSE IT!

Companies relocate people all the time. Look for the job you truly want, first. Getting your foot in the door with a career is way more important than where you live. You have your whole life to live where you want. Get the experience you need first, and if you don't like where you live, now you have more power to throw your experience around and negotiate, if not with the company you currently work for, then with another company.

That's my opinion. I wish someone slapped that into me when I was 22. Take a lot of time to put together a great resume and check the WILLING TO RELOCATE box on sites like Indeed and ZipRecruiter. LinkedIn is great, too. They have a checkbox where your profile gets flagged for recruiters. Tons of recruiters all across the country will contact you this way.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I have lived in the Philadelphia area for 13 years and can't take it anymore. I wanted out, and I wanted to move coastal. I considered Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Corpus Christi, Galveston and pretty much all of Florida. My preferences were Wilmington and Charleston due to them having clearer 4 seasons - I still like having a winter, just not a brutally cold one like I have here.

All in all, after 6 months of looking for opportunities in Wilmington, I struck out. I was able to find a big company locally with offices all over the country that allows frequent telecommuting and some travel. Long story short, I'm moving down to NC in October. I'll have to travel into Raleigh probably twice a month to touch base with the local office, and I'll have to travel intermittently to projects (I do that now anyway), but mostly I'll be able to work out of my home. That was the best compromise I could make to live where I wanted to live while getting a (much better) job.

I have a decade of experience, though. When you're just starting out, you have less freedom to pick and choose. I absolutely urge you to check out jobs in other states. You have nothing right now - no house to sell, no spouse to move, no kids to relocate, no furniture to pack - you can get up and go at the drop of a hat. You are now more free than you will ever be in your life, and you will probably never have this level of complete autonomy and ability to be completely selfish again. ABUSE IT!

Companies relocate people all the time. Look for the job you truly want, first. Getting your foot in the door with a career is way more important than where you live. You have your whole life to live where you want. Get the experience you need first, and if you don't like where you live, now you have more power to throw your experience around and negotiate, if not with the company you currently work for, then with another company.

That's my opinion. I wish someone slapped that into me when I was 22. Take a lot of time to put together a great resume and check the WILLING TO RELOCATE box on sites like Indeed and ZipRecruiter. LinkedIn is great, too. They have a checkbox where your profile gets flagged for recruiters. Tons of recruiters all across the country will contact you this way.
Good for you. Hope everything works out for you. Thanks for the inspiration and advice. It just feels like an uphill battle to get out of my current location. Anything good is always worth the effort, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or