Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 AM

38 posts, read 60,341 times

Advertisements

I was looking at Wilmington NC and thinking what an idillic, pretty place it looked. Then I checked out neighbourhood scout for the crime stats and saw that on a scale of 0-100 (100 being the safest), it had a rating of...5! Which got me thinking, is there ANYWHERE that's as near to perfect in the US that you can get to perfect?

What are people's thoughts? The boxes that I would like checked off would be:

* Crime. Needs to be safe. Very low gun crime, low property crime. No murders or at least hardly any.
* A town that is safe and pretty, surrounded by other safe and pretty towns.
* Good schools.
* Within 30 minutes of a city but not the most major US cities (NYC, Boston, LA...)
* Near a lake, on the coast or at least near mountains.
* Good for families with lots to do for children.

Does such a place exist in the US? I have found somewhere that SEEMS to have all the above but I want to see if anyone else suggests it first.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on their towns or towns they've lived.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,248,016 times
Here's a quirky suggestion for you:

no crime, check
safe and pretty, check
schools, well, they have K-2 in town, a great school with about 12 students; older students are bused to another town
within 30 minutes of a city, check
on the coast, check
good for families with lots for children, check

Point Roberts, Washington, safest town in the U.S.

It's not for everyone. ZipUSA: 98281 @ National Geographic Magazine

Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,304,860 times
This board is only for the discussion of coastal North Carolina, so discussions of of other areas is off topic and will probably be deleted.

For me, its where I live now, Southport, NC. Beautiful, quaint small town, very safe, 30 minutes from Wilmington. But, my children are grown. Schools here are slightly above average, and whether there is a lot for children to do depends on what the children like to do.

I wouldn't discount Wilmington based solely on crime stats. They are inflated by drunk tourists, immature college kids, and drug issues in very localized areas that are easy enough to avoid.

Your housing budget obviously will impact any answers to your question. If its $200,000, the answer is probably "nowhere". If its $3 million the answer is probably "lots of places".

Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,248,016 times
Oh sorry. I just saw this on "new posts" and it didn't actually say North Carolina so I thought everywhere was open for discussion.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Oh sorry. I just saw this on "new posts" and it didn't actually say North Carolina so I thought everywhere was open for discussion.
No problem, my comment was directed at the OP.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 AM

I didn't even realize I'd posted it under NC But we can compare NC to other places to bring it back on topic and then hopefully it won't be deleted!

I was looking at Maine myself. Just outside Portland. Yeah sure it's a bit cold in the winter and I know unemployment is a bit higher but if you have a stable job then I thought it was quite an ideal location. Low crime, coastal, near Portland and not too far from Boston. You've got skiing and kayaking in abundance. I know Maine isn't for everyone but it looked as good as it could get for a family I thought. Excluding the weather!

What are anyone's thoughts on Raleigh and also the Research Triangle area? Just to bring it back on topic.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Oh don't worry - I did mean it to be open to everywhere! I'll have to take a look at Point Roberts, sounds good!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
I didn't even realize I'd posted it under NC But we can compare NC to other places to bring it back on topic and then hopefully it won't be deleted!

I was looking at Maine myself. Just outside Portland. Yeah sure it's a bit cold in the winter and I know unemployment is a bit higher but if you have a stable job then I thought it was quite an ideal location. Low crime, coastal, near Portland and not too far from Boston. You've got skiing and kayaking in abundance. I know Maine isn't for everyone but it looked as good as it could get for a family I thought. Excluding the weather!

What are anyone's thoughts on Raleigh and also the Research Triangle area? Just to bring it back on topic.
Maine is more than a "bit cold". And Portland's crime index is 16, meaning its only safer than 16% of other cities. Thats marginally better than Wilmington, but not dramatically.

Raleigh Board is located here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

Old 07-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Maine is more than a "bit cold". And Portland's crime index is 16, meaning its only safer than 16% of other cities. Thats marginally better than Wilmington, but not dramatically.

Raleigh Board is located here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/
I only spent one winter there and although I do remember once thinking "this is how people die" on a particularly cold night, I don't remember being too cold the rest of the winter. Maine has skiing though! Can't ski in NC

Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Bainger-Davis View Post
I only spent one winter there and although I do remember once thinking "this is how people die" on a particularly cold night, I don't remember being too cold the rest of the winter. Maine has skiing though! Can't ski in NC
Actually, you can:

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/
2016-2017 Winter Brochure - Sugar Mountain Resort
Cataloochee Ski Area – Maggie Valley, North Carolina
Home - Appalachian Ski Mtn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina