U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 10,865 times

Advertisements

I'd like to ask this here instead of calling agents who then won't leave me alone 😉

We're considering moving to Wilmington, looking at 5 bedrooms homes in the $300k price range (3000ish square feet). To me, the property taxes seem really, really low. Our home in Maine (5 bedroom, $250k, 3100 sq ft) costs us $2400 a year in taxes. My husband wondered if it was because home insurance is higher (not sure if there is really a correlation there, but whatever)? Our insurance is about $800 a year.

I'd also be curious about electricity and water costs for that size home. I read another thread on here, but people didn't really reference the size of their homes, so it's hard to compare.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharlow81 View Post
I'd also be curious about electricity and water costs for that size home. I read another thread on here, but people didn't really reference the size of their homes, so it's hard to compare.
We have a similar sized home. Electricity is about $125 in the lowest month to $300 in the coldest part of winter. Water in Onslow County is about $20/month for a family of 2, but we have a well for the lawn irrigation. The lawn watering could be a lot more if you have city water.

I don't know your source on the property taxes, but $2400 could be what you also pay in Wilmington. Taxes vary whether you are in the city limits, or are just in Pender County. There are more services (like trash collection) in the city limits.

You also should expect to pay a lot more for home insurance because of the hurricane risk. For example, we pay $1900 in property tax, and $2600 in home-owner insurance. We are about 2.5 miles from the ocean.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Property taxes for a house inside the city limits of Wilmington with a tax value of $300,000 would be about $3,300 per year. Property taxes vary by county and municipality. There is no correlation between taxes and insurance.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,281,314 times
If you live inside the city limits of Wilmington, you'll be paying property tax to both the city and the county. If you live in an unincorporated area of the county, you'll only have one tax bill, to the county.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
If you live inside the city limits of Wilmington, you'll be paying property tax to both the city and the county. If you live in an unincorporated area of the county, you'll only have one tax bill, to the county.
That's interesting! So on Zillow, when it says what the taxes are, do you just assume that's the total for both the city and the county? One of the houses I was looking at that wasn't in the city had a higher tax bill than a comparable one in the city, I thought that was strange.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
That's interesting! So on Zillow, when it says what the taxes are, do you just assume that's the total for both the city and the county? One of the houses I was looking at that wasn't in the city had a higher tax bill than a comparable one in the city, I thought that was strange.
I wouldn't assume anything about Zillow, nor necessarily trust the info on there. The house in the unincorporated area must have a higher tax value. The information needed to calculate an annual property tax bill is the tax value of the house, and the tax rate. As noted, tax rates vary depending by county and municipality. The safest path is to look up the house on the tax assessors website for whatever county in which the house is located. Here is a link to New Hanover County's:

https://mss.nhcgov.com/CSS/citizens/....aspx?mode=new

Last edited by BC1960; 07-11-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We have a similar sized home. Electricity is about $125 in the lowest month to $300 in the coldest part of winter. Water in Onslow County is about $20/month for a family of 2, but we have a well for the lawn irrigation. The lawn watering could be a lot more if you have city water.

I don't know your source on the property taxes, but $2400 could be what you also pay in Wilmington. Taxes vary whether you are in the city limits, or are just in Pender County. There are more services (like trash collection) in the city limits.

You also should expect to pay a lot more for home insurance because of the hurricane risk. For example, we pay $1900 in property tax, and $2600 in home-owner insurance. We are about 2.5 miles from the ocean.
Thank you! That is really helpful!

Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I wouldn't assume anything about Zillow, nor necessarily trust the info on there. The house in the unincorporated area must had a higher tax value. The information needed to calculate an annual property tax bill is the tax value of the house, and the tax rate. As noted, tax rates vary depending by county and municipality. The safest path is to look up the house on the tax assessors website for whatever county in which the house is located. Here is a link to New Hanover County's:

https://mss.nhcgov.com/CSS/citizens/....aspx?mode=new
Thank you! I don't trust Zillow either, but it is helpful when starting to investigate an area that's not within convenient driving distance, and where I have no contacts of my own whose brains I can pick. I tend to over-research things, Zillow is just a staring point to help me get my bearings.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Thank you! That is really helpful!
The Wilmington area is not particularly cheap. BC1960 is giving you good info on taxes. However, you would save on winter heating costs, as the winters are relatively mild.

We also have a state income tax, about 7% sales tax, and a 2% tax on food bought in grocery stores.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Wilmington area is not particularly cheap. BC1960 is giving you good info on taxes. However, you would save on winter heating costs, as the winters are relatively mild.

We also have a state income tax, about 7% sales tax, and a 2% tax on food bought in grocery stores.
Yeah, considering we can easily spend between $2400 and $3600 on heat alone (not including electricity) for a winter. 😆
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or