Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
A little further south, Calabash, Carolina Shores etc, easy access to OIB and Sunset Beach worth a look. N Myrtle Beach is 20-30 min. to the south.

A newer development in your price range-

Sunset Ridge Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Sunset Beach NC

Have fun!
Thanks for the info. not sure we want to go that far.
What I like about Southport is that if I decide to continue working 2 days a week, Wilmington would not too bad of a commute (I'm a nurse practitioner).

We've found a few houses that we are going to see on Monday. We'll see what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 8,630 times
I lived in Raleigh for 21 years, 1981-2004. I live in Morehead City/Beaufort...two great towns. I worked in downtown Washington, DC for 14 years, had beach condo here since 1979, Beaufort was voted "The Coolest Small Town in America" 2011 by a major travel magazine. Really cool place to live...Raleigh, 2.45 hrs away. Make a lot of day trips even though we have 4 married daughters there...we want to be 'back at the coast.'
NEW BERN: only 34 minutes west of MHC/Beaufort....Beautiful town also...surrounded by water (wide Neuse River/Trent River, marinas, laid back. Favorite retirement destination. Chelsea Restaurant on Broad St. near Tryon Palace....to cool. We 'run up there' for lunch. These three coastal communities do not become ghost towns in winter. Beaufort is now one of the most touted boating towns for transient snow birds...they stop for a night....but often decide to hang out for days. Total package down here.Lot's of Naw'thin folks also, great mix.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 10,389 times
You can find a nice ranch home for under 250k in some nice neighborhoods in Wilmington as well with good schools and close to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Southport and Oak Island may fall into the "ghost town" in the Winter category imo

Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcrill View Post
You can find a nice ranch home for under 250k in some nice neighborhoods in Wilmington as well with good schools and close to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Southport and Oak Island may fall into the "ghost town" in the Winter category imo
Definitely not true of Southport, and while Oak Island definitely empties out, its no ghost town.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:14 PM

Update! We recently returned from Southport and LOVED it! It reminded us of a small New England town (we are both native New Englanders) and this is what we are looking for in retirement. The town itself is quaint and the harbor so inviting. We spent mornings drinking coffee, sitting on a bench in town by the pier, watching the sunrise. We ate at Fishy Fishy, Frying Pan and look forward to eating at Joseph's, Island Way and Beana's on OI.

Given that we are beach lovers, we loved the proximity to Caswell Beach and Oak Island. My husband runs and loves to run along the water's edge....I'll be walking! We realize it is a small town and will need to go to Wilmington or Myrtle Beach for major shopping. We don't mind at all mind a 30 minute ride to get to larger stores, theater etc.

We did a lot of exploration and looked at lots of homes. We were willing to raise our price point for a place for a place we loved.
*St James was not for us. Too large, I found it overwhelming. DH golf's but only occasionally and definitely for fun. We don't have a boat and it seemed that everyone we met from SJP were either really into gold or avid boaters.
*Arbor Creek was very nice. Really nice homes, mature landscaping. Loved a new construction house there, would have raised my price and bought it but it was already under contract
*South Harbor was lovely but single family homes were more than we wanted to spend.
*Seaspray Cove, the few streets making up the cove were nice ranches, very well manicured yards, but we didn't like the surrounding neighborhood, it was pretty run down.
*Rivermist, pretty neighborhood, lots of ponds, open spaces.

End result, we bought a house in Rivermist. Fell in love with the home. Met several neighbors who were all retirees who had relocated. Very friendly and welcoming. We won't be moving down for at least a year, maybe 2 but for now, we will go down on weekends and vacations.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and assistance!

Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 PM

89 posts, read 133,810 times
Definitely look on Oak Island - we looked at everything around here and love it on Oak Island. We have everything we need here on the island or close by in Southport. When we want the big box stores or Trader Joes we go to Wilmington which is only 40-45 min. Let me know if you need a wonderful realtor - she knows the area, is not pushy, very knowledgeable and great. Had a horrid experience with our first one. Will be glad to talk if you want to PM me for more info. We're so glad to be here! Good luck.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Update! We recently returned from Southport and LOVED it! It reminded us of a small New England town (we are both native New Englanders) and this is what we are looking for in retirement. The town itself is quaint and the harbor so inviting. We spent mornings drinking coffee, sitting on a bench in town by the pier, watching the sunrise. We ate at Fishy Fishy, Frying Pan and look forward to eating at Joseph's, Island Way and Beana's on OI.

Given that we are beach lovers, we loved the proximity to Caswell Beach and Oak Island. My husband runs and loves to run along the water's edge....I'll be walking! We realize it is a small town and will need to go to Wilmington or Myrtle Beach for major shopping. We don't mind at all mind a 30 minute ride to get to larger stores, theater etc.

We did a lot of exploration and looked at lots of homes. We were willing to raise our price point for a place for a place we loved.
*St James was not for us. Too large, I found it overwhelming. DH golf's but only occasionally and definitely for fun. We don't have a boat and it seemed that everyone we met from SJP were either really into gold or avid boaters.
*Arbor Creek was very nice. Really nice homes, mature landscaping. Loved a new construction house there, would have raised my price and bought it but it was already under contract
*South Harbor was lovely but single family homes were more than we wanted to spend.
*Seaspray Cove, the few streets making up the cove were nice ranches, very well manicured yards, but we didn't like the surrounding neighborhood, it was pretty run down.
*Rivermist, pretty neighborhood, lots of ponds, open spaces.

End result, we bought a house in Rivermist. Fell in love with the home. Met several neighbors who were all retirees who had relocated. Very friendly and welcoming. We won't be moving down for at least a year, maybe 2 but for now, we will go down on weekends and vacations.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and assistance!
Welcome to Southport! I admire your decisiveness! You''l love the area.

Be sure and try Provision Company and Mr. P's in Southport.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Welcome to Southport! I admire your decisiveness! You''l love the area.

Be sure and try Provision Company and Mr. P's in Southport.
Thanks! So excited.....we fell in love with the place. Made it an easy decision. The house is a 6 min drive to Caswell Beach. Quiet, peaceful, dunes. Cinched it!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:15 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Update! We recently returned from Southport and LOVED it! It reminded us of a small New England town (we are both native New Englanders) and this is what we are looking for in retirement. The town itself is quaint and the harbor so inviting. We spent mornings drinking coffee, sitting on a bench in town by the pier, watching the sunrise. We ate at Fishy Fishy, Frying Pan and look forward to eating at Joseph's, Island Way and Beana's on OI........
Congratulations, and glad you found a match. As a former New Englander, I also liked the look of Southport's downtown.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:40 PM

213 posts, read 211,716 times
Thanks for this info on Arbor Creek, one I'd like to see and Oak Island. The only thing about living on Oak island is the insurance. I also heard they have high water bills, can anyone explain either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina