U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:08 AM

3,800 posts, read 9,726,344 times

Advertisements

We've been living in the Triangle for almost 10 years. While we enjoy living here, we're originally from coastal New England and really miss the beach. We are beginning to look into possible coastal towns for retirement in 2 years and will make weekend scouting trips.

What we are looking for:
We prefer ocean to the sound
Hopefully not a "ghost town" in winter
Proximity to a larger town or city for shopping
Proximity to airport (would travel 1-1/2 to 2 hr to RDU)
Ranch home 1600-1800 sf, approximately $250K. Less is more for retirement.
Decent healthcare - at least until we could get back to Duke for anything urgent. We are healthy!
Prefer not to be in an over 55 community (we live in one now) but not a deal breaker

We are early 60's, active, work in healthcare and pretty liberal. We know smaller towns tend to be more conservative but as long as there is a good mix of red/blue, we'd be ok.

Suggestions my CD friends?
We currently plan to visit Southport and New Bern (I know New Bern is not ocean).
We've been to Wilmington - like it but not certain it is the right place.
We've been to Elizabeth City. Pretty. Maybe a bit too conservative.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We've been living in the Triangle for almost 10 years. While we enjoy living here, we're originally from coastal New England and really miss the beach. We are beginning to look into possible coastal towns for retirement in 2 years and will make weekend scouting trips.

What we are looking for:
Decent healthcare - at least until we could get back to Duke for anything urgent. We are healthy!
Prefer not to be in an over 55 community (we live in one now) but not a deal breaker

We are early 60's, active, work in healthcare and pretty liberal. We know smaller towns tend to be more conservative but as long as there is a good mix of red/blue, we'd be ok.

We currently plan to visit Southport and New Bern (I know New Bern is not ocean).

Thanks so much!
I'm assuming you're ok being a 10 or 15 minute drive from the ocean, as thats a pretty low budget for a lot of coastal communities. You can probably find something near Southport for that price, and probably something in or around Wilmington. Most actual beach communities will be out of that range, and many are very seasonal anyway, but you might find something on Oak Island that is walkable to the beach. It is quiet in the winter, but isn't a ghost town. I would think you could find something in the inland areas of southern Brunswick County as well...around Shallotte/Sunset Beach/Carolina Shores/Calabash. Those are further away from RDU and Wilmington, but closer to Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 7,488 times
Quote:

What we are looking for:

Thanks so much!
Sounds like Southport might work for you, maybe a community like Arbor Creek, about 5 miles to Oak Island in one direction and 5 miles or so to Southport Center in the other, 30 to 40 minutes to Wilmington and about an hour to Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm assuming you're ok being a 10 or 15 minute drive from the ocean, as thats a pretty low budget for a lot of coastal communities. You can probably find something near Southport for that price, and probably something in or around Wilmington. Most actual beach communities will be out of that range, and many are very seasonal anyway, but you might find something on Oak Island that is walkable to the beach. It is quiet in the winter, but isn't a ghost town. I would think you could find something in the inland areas of southern Brunswick County as well...around Shallotte/Sunset Beach/Carolina Shores/Calabash. Those are further away from RDU and Wilmington, but closer to Myrtle Beach.
Yes, 10-15 minutes away from the beach is perfectly fine. We're 2 hrs now and just long for proximity to the ocean. I realize $250K is low near the beach. We can go higher but really prefer to stay under $300. I've seen several really nice homes in Southport that fit the bill. Would really love more information about the town, neighborhoods etc.

Thanks for the tips on Shallote and Sunset Beach. Will definitely look into these areas as well.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriver82 View Post
Sounds like Southport might work for you, maybe a community like Arbor Creek, about 5 miles to Oak Island in one direction and 5 miles or so to Southport Center in the other, 30 to 40 minutes to Wilmington and about an hour to Myrtle Beach.
Thanks for the information!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:21 AM

Finding something for under $250K in Arbor Creek will be pretty much impossible. $300K might be doable. The Rivermist neighborhood is in your budget, as is Carolina Place, Oak Island proper, and some of the "outer" neighborhoods of Southport. I'd recommend either Southport or Oak Island. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Finding something for under $250K in Arbor Creek will be pretty much impossible. $300K might be doable. The Rivermist neighborhood is in your budget, as is Carolina Place, Oak Island proper, and some of the "outer" neighborhoods of Southport. I'd recommend either Southport or Oak Island. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.
Thanks so much! We're coming down for a couple of days next week.
We are looking at a couple of houses in Rivermist. Any feedback on the neighborhood?
Other retirees or are residents primarily younger. Desirable or not?
Isn't Rivermist considered Southport?

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much! We're coming down for a couple of days next week.
We are looking at a couple of houses in Rivermist. Any feedback on the neighborhood?
Other retirees or are residents primarily younger. Desirable or not?
Isn't Rivermist considered Southport?

Any other suggestions?
Rivermist is satellite annexed into Southport, so its in the city limits, but a bit outside the rest of the town. Its a new subdivision, with virtually no mature trees or landscaping. Its not my cup of tea, but it seems to have sold out fairly quickly. Mostly retirees.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 PM

16 posts, read 15,505 times
Default Sailing

I'll jump in as we are thing of retirement on the coast. Our budget is around 500/700k. I like to sail and would get a boat suitable for the NC coast. Would like to be near a good marina : yacht club. Ideas?

Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranmkp View Post
I'll jump in as we are thing of retirement on the coast. Our budget is around 500/700k. I like to sail and would get a boat suitable for the NC coast. Would like to be near a good marina : yacht club. Ideas?
You sound like you would enjoy St James Plantation, or others on the Intracoastal Waterway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or