U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM

171 posts, read 107,925 times

Advertisements

Aside from boating and the beach, what does Wilmington offer? I know it is a smaller city and I have visited several times. We just never take the time to explore the area because we are usually out boating or at the beach when visiting. Some things I am looking at for example include concert venues, more shopping other than one mall and Mayfaire Shopping Center, nice parks, variety of restaurants that are not chains, festivals and events, breweries, wineries, museums etc. We are near retirement age, so not looking necessarily for family things to do and we are not golfers.

If you made a move to Wilmington, do you find it offers enough to keep you busy? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
Wilmington offers a lot. 2 major festivals each year, the Azalea Festival and Riverfest:

North Carolina Azalea Festival | A Scene to be Seen!
http://www.wilmingtonriverfest.com/

Concerts at Greenfield Lake Amphitheater, tons of great local restaurants, MacRae Park, Halyburton Park, Airlie Gardens, Carolina Beach State Park, Ft. Fisher State Park, Ft. Fisher State Historic Site, Cameron Art Museum, NC Aquarium, Cape Fear Museum, Battleship North Carolina, Wilmington Railroad Museum, historic house tours, Brooklyn Arts Center, UNC-W sports, arts and cultural events at UNC-W, free music events downtown every Friday night from May through September, summer league baseball, minor league soccer, lots of local breweries...the list goes on. And this doesn't include events in the surrounding area like the Spot Festival in Hampstead, 4th of July Festival in Southport, Blueberry Festival in Burgaw, Oyster Festival in Ocean Isle Beach, etc.

Arts In Wilmington - Sharing the Arts In Wilmington, North Carolina / An Arts Friendly Community
The Arts Council Of Wilmington
Live Music in Wilmington NC, Concerts, Music Events Calendar - Whats On Wilmington - Wilmington, NC Events - Whats On Wilmington
CALENDAR | | "Your Alternative Weekly Voice"
https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/breweries/
https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com...o-do/shopping/
https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com...ums-galleries/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html

Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Besides the above list, I'll add...

Thalian Hall
The new Fine Arts Center at CFCC...has had some very good acts
Historic District, best in NC
Riverfront, best in NC (won some national awards)
Warmest winter weather in NC
More restaurants per capita than anywhere in the US outside Manhattan

Wilmington, IMO, offers much more than most cities its size and more than most of the larger cities in NC.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM

8,793 posts, read 5,661,531 times
For one thing - in the year I live there - I found more small (non-chain and chain) restaurants than any other place I have ever been. Yet at the same time, I don't remember the local food as being spectacular.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
For one thing - in the year I live there - I found more small (non-chain and chain) restaurants than any other place I have ever been. Yet at the same time, I don't remember the local food as being spectacular.
Its definitely there...Catch, Pinpoint, Rx and lots more are spectacular.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM

171 posts, read 107,925 times
Thanks for all of your input! I knew the locals would have great things to tell me about Wilmington. I definitely have to get out and explore more than the beach on my next visit. Should really visit off season. It is high on our list for retirement. Close to Va where we live at now, a little warmer in the winter, close to family and friends, still close enough to visit the mountains and neighboring states.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM

35 posts, read 24,379 times
Default Curious about job market?

Just chiming in- my husband and I have wanted to move to Wilmington for years, but we are concerned about the job market. I'm a bartender, so I should be ok, but my husband is a commercial diver (underwater construction).....Excited to see that Wilmington has so many great amenities, but I've read that the job market is really tough, and the pay rates are too low considering the real estate.....Any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihret1 View Post
Just chiming in- my husband and I have wanted to move to Wilmington for years, but we are concerned about the job market. I'm a bartender, so I should be ok, but my husband is a commercial diver (underwater construction).....Excited to see that Wilmington has so many great amenities, but I've read that the job market is really tough, and the pay rates are too low considering the real estate.....Any thoughts?
Your husband's job sounds very specialized. I would think it would be fairly easy to research companies in Wilmington who may hire people in his field and contact them to inquire about employment.

For example, there is Atlantic Coast Industrial: Home and Intercoastal Marine: Utility Construction, Marine Construction, Bridge Construction | Intercoastal Marine, LLC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or