U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 PM

42 posts, read 77,002 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! OK, so my fiance and I are in our late 20's and will be relocating to Wilmington area. We are both self employed online so work isn't a big concern for us. We also aren't big drinkers.

We are looking to build a small home in the Wilmington area. I say build because we will literally be building it ourselves and hiring help. It's SO much cheaper if you go right outside to Leland, Castle Hayne, etc. and I'm wondering what is the catch here? I'm originally from Seattle so a 20 minute drive is no big deal to me but I'm reading that it's maybe not the greatest idea?

I'm scrolling through the forum and I see Wilmington is a super loved community around here, but when I look at the crime rates online I do get a little concerned that I'll end up in a rough area. Our budget for the land portion is ideally under $40,000. We don't need a big lot but I fear we won't be able to get in a decent area in that budget.

Can't wait to hear your guys' feedback!!! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:53 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
We are looking to build a small home in the Wilmington area. I say build because we will literally be building it ourselves and hiring help. It's SO much cheaper if you go right outside to Leland, Castle Hayne, etc. and I'm wondering what is the catch here? ................

I'm scrolling through the forum and I see Wilmington is a super loved community around here, but when I look at the crime rates online I do get a little concerned that I'll end up in a rough area. Our budget for the land portion is ideally under $40,000. We don't need a big lot but I fear we won't be able to get in a decent area in that budget.
The catch with land in Leland or Castle Hayne at that price, is that you will probably have to clear the land, and install a septic system and connect to water as well as building. If you don't have previous experience build according to code and passing inspections, I'm not so sure you should attempt to do it yourself.

Please don't look at crime rates for Wilmington if you plan to live in Castle Hayne. The crime rate in Wilmington is skewed by tourists drinking in the downtown area, and a few low-income areas. Castle Hayne is a small town in a rural area. I would not be afraid of a few run-down areas in Castle Hayne.

I'd really suggest that you move to the area first and rent a house for a year. When you become more familiar with the area, you will be better prepared to pick a lot in an area you are comfortable with.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Theres no catch, Castle Hayne and other areas are further from the amenities that most people want to be near. Its like any other city, the further out you go, the less expensive real estate is, in general.

I completely agree with goldenage's advice. Are you sure you're capable of actually building a house that meets building codes?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are you sure you're capable of actually building a house that meets building codes?
For example, coastal counties have hurricane-resistance codes. I'm not sure of details, but they involve extra tie-downs to prevent the roof from blowing off, etc. There are other optional things like shatter-resistant glass, garage door reinforcement, etc.

Depending on where the OP lives now, they may not know about these features.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Theres no catch, Castle Hayne and other areas are further from the amenities that most people want to be near. Its like any other city, the further out you go, the less expensive real estate is, in general.

I completely agree with goldenage's advice. Are you sure you're capable of actually building a house that meets building codes?
I totally get your guys' concern - and it's a huge project for sure. However, my fiance builds structures from the ground up for a living and we are so ready to give it a shot for ourselves! I am totally well aware it's insane, but that's pretty much how I have always rolled. I give my friends and parents anxiety attacks but it always eventually works out!

I'll have to do some more research. I think I'd like to be within Wilmington city limits if we can swing it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,355,005 times
The catch is...the further from the water you are the cheaper the land is..

As well, keep in mind that the communities (Wilmington, Wrighstville Beach, even Carolina Beach or Kure Beach) are all on the water, so therefore all of the amenities are closer to the water.

And finally keep in mind that the interstates don't run into or around any of these communities, so there is a lot of traffic to get into these communities. A 20 minute interstate drive in Seattle is much different than a 20 minute drive through 25 lights on College Rd in Wilmington.

Wilmington is actually not a great community to BUILD a house. It is a great community to find a house and renovate though. The locals know this and almost never build because they want to be close to everything.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
For example, coastal counties have hurricane-resistance codes. I'm not sure of details, but they involve extra tie-downs to prevent the roof from blowing off, etc. There are other optional things like shatter-resistant glass, garage door reinforcement, etc.

Depending on where the OP lives now, they may not know about these features.
Ahhh I see. My fiance worked overseas with some gentlemen that run a contracting business in Wilmington. That's what initially got us interested in the town They have quite a bit of experience and we will be hiring a fair amount of help from them.

But yes, this is good info and I'll make sure the other half knows about it!!!

We just can't rent though We have 3 dogs and I'd rather live in a place I half-like than dump money into rent. I'm honestly the most un-picky person when it comes to homes as long as I don't fear for my life when walking outside. My first place was a manufactured home that I flipped in Seattle, and I bought a house sight unseen in Kansas City for a rental. That second one wasn't the smartest idea, but it still has ended up being a great investment! Lol.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 5,939 times
I did a quick check on the local MLS and there are a couple lots in Castle Hayne and one in Myrtle Grove in the 40k range that are wooded but in decent areas. The Myrtle Grove lot is actually very close to the Intracoastal. I can email to you if you DM me with your email

Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The catch is...the further from the water you are the cheaper the land is..

As well, keep in mind that the communities (Wilmington, Wrighstville Beach, even Carolina Beach or Kure Beach) are all on the water, so therefore all of the amenities are closer to the water.

And finally keep in mind that the interstates don't run into or around any of these communities, so there is a lot of traffic to get into these communities. A 20 minute interstate drive in Seattle is much different than a 20 minute drive through 25 lights on College Rd in Wilmington.

Wilmington is actually not a great community to BUILD a house. It is a great community to find a house and renovate though. The locals know this and almost never build because they want to be close to everything.
Yeah??? I'm curious why you think it's not a great community to build. It seems like the cost/sq ft is pretty dang high in the Wilmington area where if we could build at a fairly reasonable rate, we could come out with some serious equity when it's done.

The traffic lights do sound absolutely terrible lol. One of the highlights of living around here was Trader Joe's. I currently live in Great Falls, MT and I miss Trader Joe's the most!!!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
..... when I look at the crime rates online I do get a little concerned that I'll end up in a rough area. Our budget for the land portion is ideally under $40,000. We don't need a big lot but I fear we won't be able to get in a decent area in that budget.
If you are just looking at Wilmington, it's true that most of the lowest priced lots are in the old close-to-downtown areas. I would not want to buy there. However, the lots close to $40K are in better areas. The one in Myrtle Grove, and one on Rogers Avenue off Gordon Road are in OK areas.

Many of the people who move to Wilmington prefer to be in communities with pools, golf courses or boating facilities. You won't get those kinds of amenities if you build on an individual lot. However, it's a personal choice, and I'm sure the couple can find something they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or