U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,965 times

Advertisements

My husband has received a very nice job offer from GE-Hitachi in Wilmington. We found an ideal home in Wrightsboro during our two day visit. My husband is a professional as am I.

My husband is Black and I am White. We have an interracial 2 yr old son who looks mixed, but is more Black than White. We are currently living in the Eastern corner of Idaho and our interracial marriage has presented no apparent social or economical problems. Perhaps unknown to us people may make disparaging remarks behind our backs, but they are polite to us and our son and that is sufficient for us.

I have read many of the posts in this forum and I have studied the racial distributions both on city-data.com and elsewhere. We have done our homework with property taxes, home insurance, utility costs, shopping areas, churches, etc. We feel fairly comfortable that this will be a good move for the family.

I understand that the people participating in these forums are typically more accepting than the general populous of a particular area. I also understand that racism exist everywhere, differing in the degree and the method by which it is expressed.

Neither my husband or I are especially concerned about what people may say or think behind our backs. However, we don't wish to experience any overt racism, especially for our son. In particular, we do not wish to have our house vandalized or our son mistreated when we visit museums, restaurants, parks, and the beaches.

I mean no offense to the Southeners who have accepted integration, but the South does have a reputation. So, my question is:

Are there any Wilmington areas (i.e., downtown, suburbs, beaches) that are more racially charged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,374,048 times
no one who lives in wilmington is from the south. you will not experience any problems. I would say that 90% of people in this area are transplants from the north.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM

217 posts, read 1,033,141 times
I live in Wilmington and am a true Southerner (NC native). I think you and your family will be just fine here. Wilmington is a rather open, accepting, laid back area. I'm not saying we don't have ignorant people here...but I think they represent a very small part of the general population. I think you should fit right in. Welcome to the area!!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 22,749 times
I would suggest considering living in an area where you son would not go to schoold in Wrightsborough or Castle Hayne, but to one of the schools on Highway 132.

The staff in Wrightsborough & castle Hayne are good, but the involvement level of parents is not. It's hard to teach Johnny to speak properly when his mother ain't giving force to the right kinda English.

Years ago it was unheard of to see black folks on the beach, and people would make remarks. I don't think that is nearly as true today.

When I worked at GE Nuclear back in the late 80's there was an incodent where a manager kept calling a white contractor's x-wfe a "N*". The contractor eventually slashed his face at lunch & got fired. But that would just be the way GE is, not the rest of wilmington.

People in Wilmingtion really hate Califonians though :=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina