U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 AM

27 posts, read 94,903 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with Parrott Academy in Kinston, NC? We are considering a move to Eastern NC and have a son who would be going into the 9th grade. He's active in science, band and enjoys certain sports (baseball and gymnastics, particularly trampoline). We're looking for strong academics that would include a faculty who would support (not undermine) a faith life that his mother and I seek to build at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 AM

148 posts, read 555,486 times
If schools are important to you, then checkout Croatan High School in Western Carteret County....Great Band program, third academically in the state, new school, and only about 800 students...I've got two going there.....That is why I moved from New Bern after 16 years....Schools and crime were my biggest concerns....

Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McCurdy View Post
If schools are important to you, then checkout Croatan High School in Western Carteret County....Great Band program, third academically in the state, new school, and only about 800 students...I've got two going there.....That is why I moved from New Bern after 16 years....Schools and crime were my biggest concerns....
You are just trying to convince people to move to Carteret co so you can sell them a house.

Anyone who uses crime and New Bern in the same sentence is lying through their teeth. The crime in New Bern is no more than anywhere else...in fact, it's less.

I had friends who went to Parrott. They seemed to really like it. That is the most I can tell you. I know if you live in New Bern they will bus you to Parrott.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 AM

17 posts, read 72,765 times
It's getting tiresome -- and predictable -- to read the handful of Real Estate Agents' attempts to coax people into their "webs". Some attempts are subtle and some are not-so-subtle. I think it goes a little farther than Guerrilla Marketing -- it's making you look desperate and your alterior motives are obvious to most!

Now, back to the original question. Parrott Academy has a wonderful reputation. It is one of, if not the, best private schools in Eastern NC. Kids from miles away travel to attend the school. Which brings up another point. The only downside is that Kinston is not the most desirable place to live. You may want to look into Greenville or another nearby area -- or a farm! But you really can't go wrong with Parrott Academy.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM

148 posts, read 555,486 times
Parrot Academy is wonderful, and if you don't mind paying a very high tuituion, then by all means, go there...

I am only telling people about options...New Bern is nice, but there are many areas that are better, in my humble opinion....I've lived in these areas for 21 years, I know the areas, I know the schools, I know the amenities that each offers....All areas have good and not so good reputations, but a family that is looking to relocate needs the facts, and not stories....I deal in facts...I want families, and couples to have the facts, and they make their own informed decisions...I would never move back to New Bern, and that is a fact.....

Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM

46 posts, read 179,732 times
Parrott has a long and very good reputation. However, as stated above, Kinston is not a nice place to live. In fact if there is a worse city for crime and drugs in Eastern NC I am not sure where it is.

Kinston has about three positive aspects -- Kinston Indians minor league baseball (if you like the sport), Parrott Academy and the Global Transpark (the biggest boondoggle waste of taxpayer money in North Carolina).

You might also explore the Oakwood School in Greenville (30 minutes from Greenville). Greenville has crime and drugs in abundance as well but it has a lot more going for it (East Carolina University and a thriving Medical Community). It's not the garden of Eden but it beats Kinston easily.

The Oakwood School: Independent co-educational day school for grades K-12

Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM

917 posts, read 2,091,755 times
A new school has opened in New Bern called Ephiphany. I believe it is faith based and has very high accademic standards. One of the key players there is that author who wrote Message in a Bottle, Nicholas something.I guess my memory is going. Sparks!! (thats his last name)

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 26,160 times
Default Parrott

Interesting, I just ordered some info about Parrott the other day. 9th grade tuition is 8600, books 400. Supposedly the best private school in the area. They have busses commuting from Havelock, Greenville, New Bern etc. That right there will tell you that parents want their kids in this school. Many doctors kids go there. Hope that it helps.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 26,160 times
Default Nicolas Sparks

As far as I know his kids goes to public school. Besides he has more than one child.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 PM

79 posts, read 277,669 times
I attended Parrott Academy from K through 12th grade. I may be biased but it is an excellent school with extremely supportive faculty and staff members. This is not one of those schools where your kid will be shuffled through and lost in the pack. The class sizes are small and the curriculum is challenging. There are many opportunities available to those kids who excel in science and math and also in the arts. The school is very safe... no crime... so you don't have to worry about your kids getting stabbed or robbed at school.

As far as the buses go... yes there were kids that traveled from as far as Raleigh to attend school while I was there. There are buses that run from all areas to help get kids to the school. I lived half way between Kinston and New Bern so I rode the bus or drove 30-35min to school and back every day.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina