U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:57 AM

8 posts, read 35,112 times

Advertisements

Hi, Hoping some kind souls can shed some light on a few questions I have. I lived in Southwest Florida for the longest time. I ran great business as a charter captain but eventually moved out of there.

The water quality went to he-- and I was really unhappy because of the lack of young people. The cost of housing was also ridiculous to get away from the rif raf. I lived in FT. Myers then moved on Sanibel then back to the mainland across from the island. But as many times as I moved,...still was not happy and never felt like this area would be home for awhile.

The Cape Fear Coast looks really appealing to me. A college town means young people and affordable housing. Being on the Coast means that I can run my boat again and I do what i enjoy and what I'm good at. I'm 37 and I can't believe I'm saying this...but it's time to settle down.

Just want to show people a good time on the water then have a fun date on a friday night .

I see that there are lots of coastal communities that are easy commutes from Wilmington that are smaller that WB perhaps quiter and less expensive. I like my quiet and mother nature and have a Lab. The dog has needs too.

I'm going down the week before xmas and then hope to move down there for good in end of Jan.

I know the traffic there is horrible but can find few negatives..hot humid weather does not bother me...I like it.

S0 does anybody have anything to add....cool areas to live in? Laidback marinas?...areas not to live?...discovery minds want to know.

I am a little tense about moving because i truly will not know a soul but sometimes one has just gotta BUST A MOVE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:59 PM

30 posts, read 117,883 times
Personally I like Wilmington, I spent some time in Ft. Myers and real estate there is simply out of control and overpriced (300k for a converted apt!). You will defiantly find a younger hipper crowd in Wilmington. Personally I couldn't stand Ft. Myers.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 AM

890 posts, read 3,966,710 times
I'm kinda confused. I thought you were talking about college aged kids when you say "younger crowd" but I guess since you are 37 you are talking more the 35-40 crowd? To be quite honest, most people in this range in Wilmington are families with young children. There is also many retirement people and then the college crowd, but the college crowd lightens up during the summer months. Personally, I think finding single people in your age range will be difficult there. The smaller quieter coastal areas will have even less and more of a retirement age group of people. Wilmington has one of the most expensive housing markets in the state and property taxes are going up 100-500% with the new tax assessment in January. Water quality? Have you heard about all the sewage spills lately?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
I'm kinda confused. I thought you were talking about college aged kids when you say "younger crowd" but I guess since you are 37 you are talking more the 35-40 crowd? To be quite honest, most people in this range in Wilmington are families with young children. There is also many retirement people and then the college crowd, but the college crowd lightens up during the summer months. Personally, I think finding single people in your age range will be difficult there. The smaller quieter coastal areas will have even less and more of a retirement age group of people. Wilmington has one of the most expensive housing markets in the state and property taxes are going up 100-500% with the new tax assessment in January. Water quality? Have you heard about all the sewage spills lately?
Willmington might be expensive in NC, but it has nothing on South FLorida, a one bedroom rents for about 950 in Ft. Myers, and prices keep going up.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockett The Lender View Post
Willmington might be expensive in NC, but it has nothing on South FLorida, a one bedroom rents for about 950 in Ft. Myers, and prices keep going up.
While that may be true, at the rate NC is going, it is well on it's way to becoming the next Florida.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
While that may be true, at the rate NC is going, it is well on it's way to becoming the next Florida.
Thats good if you are an investor, terrible if you are trying to live. I think we have a while before things get out of hand but I guess that statement is relative to ones situation.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 92,811 times
I don't know where scjj is coming from, but where I live in Wilmington (southern part of town, past Monkey Junction on the way to Carolina Beach) we don't have any problems with sewage spills. As for taxes going up 100 - 500%...from what I've heard, that's basically hitting those on the beach. When they do the re-evaluation next month, the taxes will go up, but overall, they're supposed to even out as everyone is being re-assesed. Also, we're not the highest priced area for real estate. Try finding a decent home in the Boone area or the Asheville area; and there's no beach there. We've lived here through five hurricanes in the 90s and luckily have had no major problems. I do know a lot of younger people who live here, so they're not all families with kids or retirees. Wilmington is an up and coming place to live with great schools (colleges included) shopping, medical facilities as well as a fabulous beach. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 12-17-2006 at 12:51 AM..

Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 PM

212 posts, read 989,049 times
Hmm...If I left Fla. to run my own charter boat in Wrightsville, would I like it? I would have to say YES I WOULD!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 AM

Just to clarify a few things since NancyCL doesn't seem to "know where I'm coming from".

One drainage easement, creek or waterway usually leads to another. So just because you don't live where the actual sewage spill occurred, does not mean you won't be affected by the quality of the water downstream. Just go to Star News Online and do a search on "sewage spill" and read to your hearts content. It's there in black and white. Hewlett's Creek drains into Masonboro Sound. When a half a million gallons of raw sewage spills into a creek, everyone should be concerned. This is not just one isolated incident either, but one of many over a period of time in the county. I'm glad it didn't happen in your area, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Don't overlook and ignore the ill effects this has on the environment and how it destroys the quality of life of the community just because it didn't happen in your backyard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Higher Property Taxes in New Hanover County
Dec 8, 2006 06:09 PM

WILMINGTON -- If you live in New Hanover County, your property value could be increasing between 100 and 500 percent.

The newest tax reassessment will be mailed out in January.

This is the first one in eight years.

Officials say the increase in population, and real estate sales is raising property values across the county, especially on the waterfront.

This can lead to higher property taxes which some worry could push retirees on a fixed income out of the area.

The tax rate will be adjusted in July, that usually is lowered after a reevaluation year to compensate for the increase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Expensive Housing Market In North Carolina:
According to Business Week Online the most expensive housing market in North Carolina is Wilmington. The least expensive market is Greensboro.
The 2006 year to date average price for a residential property in Wilmington is $335,725 and the average price for Greensboro is $175,000.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
Wilmington does have, "issues".
Sewer:

Division of Water Quality focusing on sewage problem
WWAY-TV3
WILMINGTON -- The Division of Water Quality has shifted their priorities in dealing with Wilmington's sewer problem. The agency postponed a meeting in Raleigh this morning so local representatives for the state could listen in on a progress meeting between engineers from the City and County.
Full Story: http://www.wwaytv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5746354 (broken link)

Most Expensive Housing Market In North Carolina

According to Business Week Online the most expensive housing market in North Carolina is Wilmington. The least expensive market is Greensboro.
The 2006 year to date average price for a residential property in Wilmington is $335,725 and the average price for Greensboro is $175,000.
Incomparison Morehead City has an average price of $275,314 and Beaufort $272,057
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina