U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,465,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1955 View Post
Thanks for your input -- I will check into Morehead city. It sounds like Winterviewl may not be a bad place to start looking,

I lived about 1/2 hour 45 min from the shore in CT and did notice the further inland the more humid, as to be expected.

Wondering if everyone's definitiion of hot is individual. In FL it is often over 90 up to 97 without a blink, but it doesn't really feel that hot to me. There are days it is very very humid but not the norm. Would relocating north to NC not mean it would not be as hot as here? I'm just trying to figure out if I would be making a lateral move to NC (weather wise).

This is very difficult to do.

Thanks again.
Go online and compare average dew points (not temperatures) of various locations in FL and NC. That will give you a better idea of how muggy and miserable each location feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM

29 posts, read 13,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Go online and compare average dew points (not temperatures) of various locations in FL and NC. That will give you a better idea of how muggy and miserable each location feels.
Good idea BC1960 I will do exactly that...excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM

10,701 posts, read 11,340,381 times
It's extremely hot and humid east of I-95. It's pretty much the hottest and most humid part of the state, barring Fayetteville which is right on I-95. And frankly (although my family has roots in southeastern NC east of I-95 going back many, many, many generations) I find the flat, sandy, swampy piney-woods landscape east of I-95 much less attractive than the landscape of mature deciduous forest and rolling hills you find in the piedmont west of I-95.

It will be cooler right at the beach, as in right on the sand with the ocean breeze blowing in your hair, otherwise it's hot and humid in the summer in NC until you get up in the mountains. It is better west of I-95, though, where it's less flat and there is more variation in topography and better shade trees!

The difference between Florida summer and a North Carolina summer (excluding the mountains) is mainly in how long it lasts. Where in Florida summer might start in April and last until the end of October, in NC it's more mid-May to mid-September. In the non-mountain region of NC we usually see several days with temps over 100 each summer. That's not the heat index, but the actual temp. There are many more days where the heat index is over 100. Being right on the coast does mitigate the super high temps somewhat, but I mean in a beach community — not 30 miles east of the beach.

I think you really need to come visit and just drive around a little.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-30-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 13,672 times
Yes indeed I do need to come and drive around and that is exactly what I intend to do as I said in my first post...I was just looking to get a jumping point as to where to begin the search and discover process. NC is a huge state so trying to narrow it down is even difficult.

I will do as BC1960 suggested to get a better frame of reference with regard to humidity by checking the dewpoints. That is a great idea.

I have my work cut out for me that is obvious but I need to decide to do the homework and move to NC or give up the notion and keep looking.

I don't think permanent roots in FL will work because I miss the family up north too much. I thought NC might be an option and that is yet to be determined.

Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or