U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,354 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

We are thinking about retiring to the Wilmington, NC area and would like to know the best places in Wilmington for retirees. We are very outgoing and like to hike, bike, swim, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,474,680 times
Reputation: 5345
Best in what way? Best for whom? Have you ever been to Wilmington? Whats your budget for a house? Single family or condo? Oceanfront? Waterfront? How far from amenities like shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.? Do you want an age restricted community? One with mostly retirees? Is a golf course important? New house? Old house? Gated community? Rural location? Suburban? In the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Pinehurst ,N. C.
213 posts, read 134,366 times
Reputation: 95
Would like to see answers to your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,282 posts, read 19,838,964 times
Reputation: 5095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller365 View Post
We are thinking about retiring to the Wilmington, NC area and would like to know the best places in Wilmington for retirees. We are very outgoing and like to hike, bike, swim, etc. Thanks!
"Best" depends very much on your budget. For a lower-end budget, I like the one-story townhouses in Summerlin Falls. For a mid-range budget, I like Covil Farms and The Village at Motts Landing. For a high-end budget, I like Landfall.

Otherwise, it helps to answer the questions about other otions, such as golf courses, age-restriction, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,282 posts, read 19,838,964 times
Reputation: 5095
BtW, I was providing suggestion just for places with Wilmington addresses. If the question included Brunwick or Pender Counties, it is much to vague to provide an answer. Other have spent thousands of posts discussing other communities such as St James Plantation.

One new option to consider is the Del Webb community in River Lights. Apparently, it is selling homes now. It promises indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center, pickleball courts, etc. Pricing is in the low to mid-range, starting at $235.9K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Southport, NC
3,804 posts, read 9,741,918 times
Reputation: 4345
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
BtW, I was providing suggestion just for places with Wilmington addresses. If the question included Brunwick or Pender Counties, it is much to vague to provide an answer. Other have spent thousands of posts discussing other communities such as St James Plantation.

One new option to consider is the Del Webb community in River Lights. Apparently, it is selling homes now. It promises indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center, pickleball courts, etc. Pricing is in the low to mid-range, starting at $235.9K.
I currently live in a Del Webb community in Raleigh/Durham area. Amenities are amazing (37,000 SF clubhouse, indoor/outdoor pool, tennis, pickle ball, bocce, full gym, pottery room w/kiln, walking trails, community garden, 2 dog parks. There are tons of clubs and it is a very active community.


Just not my cup of tea. Can't wait to move to move to Southport! We closed on our house this week. Since we both still work, we were planning on staying up here for another 2 years but now we're talking 18 months. I'm pushing for 12! We plan on coming down about 2 weekends a month and start on some home projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Pinehurst ,N. C.
213 posts, read 134,366 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I currently live in a Del Webb community in Raleigh/Durham area. Amenities are amazing (37,000 SF clubhouse, indoor/outdoor pool, tennis, pickle ball, bocce, full gym, pottery room w/kiln, walking trails, community garden, 2 dog parks. There are tons of clubs and it is a very active community.


Just not my cup of tea. Can't wait to move to move to Southport! We closed on our house this week. Since we both still work, we were planning on staying up here for another 2 years but now we're talking 18 months. I'm pushing for 12! We plan on coming down about 2 weekends a month and start on some home projects.
I'd like to know what you didn't like about the Del Web in Raleigh? We had plans to look at that if we move near daughter and family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,067 times
Reputation: 10
There are so many amazing retirement communities down here that it is almost overwhelming. I am currently in the process of getting my dad down here but the problem is I can't find rentals at any of these communities. He has been maintaining a 3 bdrm house on 5 acres by himself for 12 years now and is just done. He is 74, active, and wants to be able to meet people and socialize.

If anyone could provide any ideas on how to find rentals in these communities I would really appreciate it! We are open to anything in New Hanover, Brunswick, or Pender counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,282 posts, read 19,838,964 times
Reputation: 5095
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeter28 View Post
..... If anyone could provide any ideas on how to find rentals in these communities I would really appreciate it! ....
Try Realtor.com and seach for rentals. I found several single family homes or townhouses in Leland around $1275 to $1350. They may not be in the most popular communities though, especially if they are in high demand.

Also, try Realtor.com with Southport, Shallotte, Bolivia, Carolina Shores, etc. There are many rentals in Carolina Shores and Calabash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 684 times
Reputation: 10
Simply put....Look somewhere else. Wilmington is a cesspool at best. What with **** poor planning, development and upkeep it is a far cry from what most major East Coast Cities have become. Filthy streets (just look around next time your at a light or stuck on the bridge coming or going to Brunswick County and believe me its appalling), horrific road conditions, more than half of the street lights do not work and an antiquated infrastructure that causes you to wait and wait and wait cycle after cycle after light cycle for you to turn only to be met at another light where you repeat the process.
I've lived here for over 40 years and in that time watched the area grow at an alarming rate yet there's no money to fix ANYTHING? Where in the hell has all this tax money gone folks? Someone has to be held accountable in some way.
An elevator bridge that was USED when installed in 1968.....yes USED and yes 1968. Then take into account the stupidity of the bridges going up at 5:30 in the afternoon only to sprawl traffic that's already strained to the hilt, not to mention the train cutting through town at 7:00 in the morning again, snarling traffic. If moving to an area that's run like Bozo the clown is Mayor and believe me he really is....come to the cesspool. But remember....you have been warned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top