U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
If you haven't signed a contract with Bill Clark Homes you may want to review these comments and contact some of them direct to get more info. You will love the area though....................

Info on Sunset Ridge in Ocean Isle Beach
Thanks for the link. Some say they had problems, some say they didn't, so I am a bit confused. My realtor has a lot of clients that built at Ocean Ridge and she thinks they do a good job. I'm happy to hear that people love the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 AM

36,834 posts, read 16,078,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd29 View Post
My husband and I are about to sign a contract and build a house in Sunset Ridge. I'm looking for opinions on the Sunset Beach / Ocean Isles area. I'm originally from Massachusetts but live in Florida now. I can't stand how crazy the Tampa area is, especially the roads. The crime is getting bad too. I'm looking for a nice quiet area with friendly people. I'm not worried about temporary crowds from summer tourist, I'm use to that (coming from Plymouth, America's hometown). Are there many retirees from New England or the Northeast? If so I would love to hear how you like the area. Should I worry about Hurricanes and or floods being so close to the ocean? What about the nuclear power plant in South Port? I was very excited about this move, but getting a little nervous about it now. I don't want to make another mistake like I did moving to Florida. I appreciate any help you can give me.
For the 7 years I owned property here and for the last 10 1/2 I have lived here I heard, "Wish I coulda', woulda', shoulda' mover here sooner."

A statement I wholeheartedly agree with!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Lots of retirees are moving to Brunswick County and I imagine many are from New England and the Northeast. Definitely you should be aware of the potential for floods and hurricanes. North Carolina is 4th in hurricane strikes after Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Don't build in low-lying areas or build up if you do.
"North Carolina is 4th in hurricane strikes"

Mainly along the East Coast from Wilmington to the VA lone., NOT Brunswick County.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There was flooding in the Brunswick county golf communities a couple of years ago during Hurricane Joaquin. I'm not sure if Hurricane Matthew got them too. I believe Carolina Shores was one of the communities hit hard. Google for images. Flooding in NC coastal areas | Brunswick Plantation | photoMojo | WJTV.COM
"the Brunswick county golf communities"

Only Brunswick Plantation was hit hard and not did NOT entail the entire community.

There was some, but little in fact in Carolina Shore.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 5,006 times
Please reconsider signing a contract with Bill Clark Home in Sunset Ridge. We have built a home in Sunset Ridge and have had at least 25 issues with our house. They did fix most of the issues with a lot of aggravation and emotional distress on our end.
Heath Clark oversees this development and he is one of the most arrogant, condescending men you will ever meet.
He tries to cut corners with everything. If you are considering signing a contract then my advice to you is to have a real estate lawyer look it over first, he will tell you to run.
We have since moved from the development. There have been issues with mold growth in the walls because of improperly installed flashing and siding. Foundation leaks, cracked tile floors, air conditioning issues, doors don't close properly because the houses are so out of square it's not even funny. They don't itemize what comes with the house, ask Eric and you will see.
Houses are built by undocumented Mexicans and he was busted for that and fined.
Look for a reputable builder and run from Bill Clark Homes.
The area is lovely to live in, we moved because of job transfer.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 5,006 times
You are correct in saying that Carolina Shores and Brunswick Plantation have major issues with flooding with much damage to garages and houses. Both of these developments are low lying and flood with heavy rains from tropical storms. Look at other places in the area first.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:04 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"North Carolina is 4th in hurricane strikes"

Mainly along the East Coast from Wilmington to the VA lone., NOT Brunswick County.
Hurricane Hazel, the strongest hurricane to ever hit NC, a category 4, came in at Brunswick County right about at Calabash/Sunset.

Hurricane Fran, which was a strong cat 3 storm, hit Southport. Hurricane Diana another cat 3 also came in at Cape Fear at Bald Head Island.

You can check out historical data on hurricane strikes in North Carolina here:
https://readync.org/EN/Informed_NatHaz_Hurricane.html

https://www.ourstate.com/hurricanes-...orth-carolina/

Hurricane Hazel, October 15, 1954

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ina_hurricanes

Hurricane Fran | North Carolina storm nightmare was 20 years ago | News & Observer

It would be misleading to give the impression that folks in Brunswick County shouldn't be ready and aware of hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina